ASUS M2N-E no POST, no video, no beeps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ASUS M2N-E no POST, no video, no beeps

I guess MOBO already dead due to bad PSU, this ASUS mobo might be used UCC KZE and Nichicon HM/HN that's known bad series.
    take out all PCI/PCIe Card, discs and RAM to see there're beep code generated.
    | AMD Phenom II X2 550BE | GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT-UD5P | GeIL DDR3 Ultra 2x2GB 1600C7 |
    | XFX GTS250 DDR3 512MB | Dell H525EF-00 | Lancool PC-K62 Black | Samsung 2232GW |
    | 2xWD7500AYYS | 2xHD322GJ Raid0 |

Comment

Originally posted by jtg View Post
      Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know that there could be unfixable consequences. Does the PLCC extractor pulls the entire chip straight out of the socket? And when I put the BIOS chip in the socket, are there procedures I need to follow? Or is it straight forward, just pushing in the chip?
      What I meant was, if you accidentally crack the socket, the consequences could be unfixable because the chip no longer seats firmly in the socket and no longer makes reliable connections with the contacts in the socket

Two little hooks are on the rods coming out of the PLCC extractor, each rod being meant to go down a cavity in the corners of the socket

When both rods are positioned diagonally with the hooks underneath the chip, you then squeeze the plastic handles of the extractor, causing the base of the plastic handles to contact the socket

Further careful squeezing puts vertical pressure on the hooks, causing them to lift the chip free from the socket

The chip doesn't necessarily lift out cleanly, but at least gets released enough to persuade it to come out the rest of the way

The idea is, hasten slowly - the PLCC extractor facilitates removal of the chip, but doesn't negate the need to be careful

Replacement is straightforward - just ensure the cut off corner of the chip matches the corresponding blocked out corner of the socket before pushing the chip in
      better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
        This one suffered a power surge and then froze - AFTER SOME USE.
        If power surge got the Chipset there wouldn't have been 'some use' after the surge.
        Sounds a lot more like cheap surge protection & input filter in PSU allowed PSU damage but just enough for one more boot..
        I have an nForce board here. I reflowed it once and used it for an hour or two. It sat on a shelf for a few months and now it won't post... These chips are completely unpredictable and it's a waste of time to try and troubleshoot them.
        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by POM_MJ View Post
          ... this ASUS mobo might be used UCC KZG and Nichicon HM/HN that's known bad series.
          +1 (with a small correction)
          Definitely check the capacitors on the board. The one in the picture on the previous page has what looks like United Chemicon KZG near the CPU socket, and those are known for going bad. If yours has them, they could be the problem, even if they look good. The fact that you used a generic PSU makes them even more susceptible to being bad.
          Also check if there are any Ost branded capacitors on the board as well - those are grand suspects.
          Last edited by momaka; 01-10-2011, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
            No, somebody asked my friend to test that video card as his computer wouldn't start with it. My friend found out the hard way that the card was fried.

You could try swapping the BIOS i guess. The only BIOS swap i did was on a ECS board where the dumbasses who run the site found it funny to post the wrong BIOS update.
            I'm sorry to hear that. I didn't know people would do such a thing.

Comment

I would like to thank everyone for their inputs. I'm learning so much here. I'll report back with the information on the capacitors first thing in the morning. Thanks again everyone. I really appreciate your help.

Comment

I guess MOBO already dead due to bad PSU, this ASUS mobo might be used UCC KZE and Nichicon HM/HN that's known bad series.
                I tried booting without the video card and RAM, but there are still no beeps at all.

The brown capacitors are KZG 16v 470uF and 6.3v 820uF. They are everywhere on the motherboard and one by the heatsink fin. There are black capacitors between the heatsink fin. These are Rubycon MBZ 16v 1000uf. I know nothing about these capacitors. Would you be kind enough to explain these numbers to me? Thanks
                Last edited by jtg; 01-10-2011, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                  +1 (with a small correction)
                  Definitely check the capacitors on the board. The one in the picture on the previous page has what looks like United Chemicon KZG near the CPU socket, and those are known for going bad. If yours has them, they could be the problem, even if they look good. The fact that you used a generic PSU makes them even more susceptible to being bad.
                  Also check if there are any Ost branded capacitors on the board as well - those are grand suspects.
                  My board has the KZG capacitors everywhere expect for one near the CPU socket. The one near the CPU socket are Rubycon 16v 1000uF MBZ and some other brand capacitors also black color 1500uF 6.3V. There are no Ost branded capacitors. Thanks.

PS: Sorry for posting so many. I don't know how to do multiquote.

Comment

The Rubycon capacitors are good, however the KZG capacitors may be the problem.

So, it all comes down to how much time and money you want to invest in this board. If you decided you want to try and recap it, it would be best to replace all of the KZG 6.3v, 820uF caps and the KZG 16v, 470uF caps. For replacements, you can use MBZ and MCZ series from Rubycon (available at badcaps.net) or Nichicon HM and HN (available at mouser.com).

Some people here have reported that ASUS boards don't always work after a recap, so that's also something to consider.

Comment

Agreed, chuck the KZG.
                      I have an nForce4 based board, all caps bar a few were KZG, it had POST and instability trouble.
                      Replaced all KZG caps above 470uf and it works fine.

Comment

The system died after an event.
                        That event was a power outage.

It would be shear coincidence [and not very likely] for the caps to kill the mobo at that exact time.
                        That would be two simultaneous events.
                        It's foolish to jump on that choice as most likely in a failure analysis without have done some research.

KZE weren't bad the last time you brought them up and they still aren't.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
                        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                        -

Comment

Once again, I would like to thank everyone for their inputs. Everyone here has been so kind and helpful.

There are 34 KZG capacitors on the board. 20 of them are KZG 6.3v, 820uF caps and KZG 16v, 470uF. The other 14 are KZG 16v, 100uF.

Now I must weigh the two directions that await me; (!) The cost of recapping and fixing this board (momaka mentioned that ASUS don't always work after a recap, so I'm worrying this also) and (2) the cost of a new board. If I'm going to buy a new board, I will probably buy the cheapest motherboard that will support all my current hardware (I'm a poor student J.

What should I do?

Comment

Buy a new board. A Gigabyte Ultra Durable series.
                            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                              The system died after an event.
                              That event was a power outage.

It would be shear coincidence [and not very likely] for the caps to kill the mobo at that exact time.
                              That would be two simultaneous events.
                              It's foolish to jump on that choice as most likely in a failure analysis without have done some research.

KZE weren't bad the last time you brought them up and they still aren't.

Sorry, I mean UCC KZG, not KZE.
                              | AMD Phenom II X2 550BE | GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT-UD5P | GeIL DDR3 Ultra 2x2GB 1600C7 |
                              | XFX GTS250 DDR3 512MB | Dell H525EF-00 | Lancool PC-K62 Black | Samsung 2232GW |
                              | 2xWD7500AYYS | 2xHD322GJ Raid0 |

Comment

Sorry, I mean UCC KZG, not KZE.
                                I know but there's like 3 or 4 people that keep doing that...

I gotta say something...
                                I don't want a typo causing some poor reader a year from now to think all his KZE's need replaced.

-
                                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                -

Comment

Originally posted by jtg View Post
                                  Once again, I would like to thank everyone for their inputs. Everyone here has been so kind and helpful.

There are 34 KZG capacitors on the board. 20 of them are KZG 6.3v, 820uF caps and KZG 16v, 470uF. The other 14 are KZG 16v, 100uF.

Now I must weigh the two directions that await me; (!) The cost of recapping and fixing this board (momaka mentioned that ASUS don't always work after a recap, so I'm worrying this also) and (2) the cost of a new board. If I'm going to buy a new board, I will probably buy the cheapest motherboard that will support all my current hardware (I'm a poor student J.

What should I do?
                                  Buying the cheapest board might put you right back in the same boat.

34 is a lot for a first mobo capping experience......

In your shoes I would save up for a Gigabyte and while I'm saving up keep checking eBay and Craigslist for a good deal.
                                  [And keep your fingers crossed for that good deal.]

-

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  -

Comment

Come to think,,,
                                    I have a box of AMD boards that I never recapped [or even looked at closely] because I didn't have a CPU to test them with anyway.
                                    I have since updated my 'CPU collection' so tomorrow I'll take a look and see if any are good candidates.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                    -
                                    -

Comment

Thank you for your advice PCBONEZ. I really appreciate it. I'll be on the look out for that good deal.

Yes, i couldn't agreed more. 34 is a lot and I've never solider anything before either.

Could you recommend me some Gigabyte boards that you think are good and could support my current hardware? I have DDR2 800 Dual RAM, PCI-E video card, Socket AM2 "Athlon64 3500+ CPU. I guess that's about it. My hardware is listed on the first page, but this is what I need most on a motherboard.

Somehow I have a hobby for computer. I'd like to help you test out those AMD boards, but I'm located in your neighboring state, CA.

Comment

I would look at these places to find models numbers to look for.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/lis...jid=12&p=2&v=4

http://desc.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nk...LH_TitleDesc=1

For some things eBay is a great place to do research.
                                        For things like mobos it has the added benefit of hinting to you how common some model is.

~~~
                                        I found 5 AMD boards but none are DDR2.
                                        Seems to me I should have another box of them because I know I had an Opertron board around that I haven't done and I haven't seen it yet.
                                        If it got stuffed in the store room that might be a day of two.

~~
                                        I've lived all over CA. I was a CA resident for 31 years though 6 of them I was physically out of state serving in the Military.

There is a setting in your profile screen to enter your physical location.
                                        When people recommend things [like where to buy things] sometimes where you are [at least country] matters.
                                        Last edited by PCBONEZ; 01-11-2011, 01:17 PM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                        -
                                        -

Comment

Thank you for the links. I'll do some research and hopefully find some great deals too.

CA is great! I've been to other cities in CA, but never actually lived there. You're lucky.

Thanks everyone for helping me with this. I don't know what to say. Everyone here has been so kind and helpful. I greatly appreciate everyone's time and efforts.

Comment

Working...
                                          X