Dell W4200hd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell W4200hd

I've had this Dell W4200HD plasma for over a year and it slowly gets harder to turn on.

If I plug it in and hit power it clicks then the psu redlight led turns on.The front stays blue and no video have to unplug it to retry.

If I plug it in and wait a few minutes it usually powers up but not yesterday till I took it away from the cold window then it started working again.

All caps look good I saw online usually it's the main and sub PSU that has dried caps.How do I test for those with a multimeter. I had to put my trusty backup tv a SOYO lcd(only works with back cover off) in it's place and the motion blur is killing me.

Re: Dell W4200hd

Please post some good focused overhead photos of each board. And a photo of all boards connected. Sounds like a bad solder joint or cap. Try the basic stuff like re-seating the connectors on the power supply and mainboard.
    Last edited by jetadm123; 04-09-2015, 05:47 PM.

Comment

check this https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ght=dell+4201c

I have this nit and it was bad caps. May help

Comment

I got one of these tv's from a person that said the tv would lose picture.
        Thinking it was just a bad Y-sus board I brought it home and on the way back it started raining, not hard but the front panel did get a few drops on it.
        I dried it off, plugged it in and got a weird colored snow picture ( below)
        The tv stayed on for over an hour without any changes.
        Then I started to smell something burning.
        Turned out to be an IC on the top buffer board.
        I ordered another one, now the tv will not turn on, has stby but that is it.
        Nothing happens when I unplug either the y-sus or the z-sus, power light just remains orange, does not turn blue anymore , no relay click anymore.
        Where should I start looking
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Newbie62; 02-03-2018, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Earlier I had reported that the tv would not turn on unplugging the x-main, that is incorrect
          The tv will turn on unplugging the x-main !
          Now my question is where should I concentrate my efforts to revive this old Plasma, the power supply or the x-main.

Comment

So the picture you posted was before it had a short on the buffer ic correct?

And now you mention disconnecting the X makes the tv turn on but does it show any picture at all? Also what kind of voltages are you receiving for VS and VA and V scan?
            Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Yes that picture was of the original setup.
              After replacing the upper buffer board is when i discovered the tv would no longer turn on, thats when I disconnected the y-sustain board, the tv would still not turn on.
              Unplugged the power, held the power button 15 seconds to drain the caps, disconnected the x- sustain board, reapplied power and it turned on but no picture.
              So I replaced the x-sus. board, now I cant get it to turn on even with the x-sus unplugged, power reset dont work either, guess i fried the main board even though I have one green light on the main and power supply lit.
              I was able to hold down the power button while plugging it in and the tv will turn on with the same
              grainy picture and now the remote does not work so, I'm still leaning towards a shot $65.00 main board.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Newbie62; 02-12-2018, 07:50 AM.

Comment

So the TV still works but I have to use a heat gun on the sub power board right next to the power board in that area I have no idea why but if I heat up that general area for a few seconds the TV turns on fine stays working. otherwise it turns on clicks blue light no screen none of the Caps look puffy is there any way to test them so I don't have to throw this out. I think the Caps may have dried out and a lot of people are reporting they change the power board it did nothing so it must be the sub power board

Comment

Bad cap with bad ESR or lost it capacitance can look normal, best thing to do is to replace them on TV that old.
                  Never stop learning
                  Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                  http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

You mean you've been limping along on those bad caps for four years? I'm surprised it still comes on. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by reliantkcar View Post
                      So the TV still works but I have to use a heat gun on the sub power board right next to the power board in that area I have no idea why but if I heat up that general area for a few seconds the TV turns on fine stays working. otherwise it turns on clicks blue light no screen none of the Caps look puffy is there any way to test them so I don't have to throw this out. I think the Caps may have dried out and a lot of people are reporting they change the power board it did nothing so it must be the sub power board
                      How did this shake out for you Sir?

Comment

Working...
                      X