Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Capacitors very hot

Hi,
    I cleaned the area around the mosfets. I noticed there was a little decoloration in the back of the board right behind mosfets. Any ideas what could be causing the overheating?
    Thanks,

Comment

I tested again this board against same CPU in adifferent board. I noticed that the Vcore voltage in my board fluctuated between 1.27 to 1.34 volts, but in the other board the volltage fluctuated between 1.33 and 1.41V , this may help to someone there find out what is the matter with my board.
      Thanks,

Comment

if the caps run hot then replace them.
        the mosfets are fine or the board wouldnt run.

Comment

Originally posted by tigreeireceltaid
          I tested again this board against same CPU in adifferent board. I noticed that the Vcore voltage in my board fluctuated between 1.27 to 1.34 volts, but in the other board the volltage fluctuated between 1.33 and 1.41V , this may help to someone there find out what is the matter with my board.
          Thanks,
          What psu are you using?

Comment

Hi,
            I have a 480W Power supply with 36Amps divided equally in two 12V rails. I am not sure about replacing the capacitors because they are not hot when I start up the computer, but I still get the crappy performance, so I am wondering is there something else wrong...

I also tested the system with a 600W PSU with 38Ams divided in to two 12V rails (12V1-20Amps 120V2-18Amps) same crappy results!

Whjat is actually running hotter is the coils (cooper wired rings)...but not whenstarting up the PC...

Comment

DC-DC converter efficiency is also dependent on the quality of output and input capacitors.
              I would agree with mosfets being fine.

Comment

Hi,
                I have a 480W Power supply with 36Amps divided equally in two 12V rails. I am not sure about replacing the capacitors because they are not hot when I start up the computer, but I still get the crappy performance, so I am wondering is there something else wrong...

I also tested the system with a 600W PSU with 38Ams divided in to two 12V rails (12V1-20Amps 120V2-18Amps) same crappy results!

Whjat is actually running hotter is the coils (cooper wired rings)...but not whenstarting up the PC...
                Ok, but what brand(s)?

Never just add the two rails, there is usually a combined capacity that they can't go over.

Comment

The brand is X-Power and the model is GTX light 480. The combined Power is 300W and 38Amps (in the 12V rails only).
                  If the capacitors are not leaking (aparently) and they are not running hot at the start of my PC, could they still be the fault?
                  Thanks,

Comment

Ok, the Xpower is a HEC build, same internally as the Thermaltake XP550 430W, and the HEC HP585D. They can really only do 350W before the OCP shuts it down. They can do up to 20A on the 12v, but when asked for more than 18A the ripple shoots up to 600mv. They only have a single 12v rail, the label kind of lies.

What brand is the 600w?
                    Last edited by 370forlife; 02-03-2010, 04:40 PM.

Comment

o.k. basics.

the 12v goes into the mosfets,
                      they send the pulsed 12v through the coils to the capacitors
                      the capacitors smooth the pulses out and send it on to the cpu.

the mosfets are working,
                      the cpu is working,
                      the coils just pass power.
                      if the caps get hot they will go bad inside & stress the coils.
                      causing the coils to heat.

both will take time to warm up.

Comment

the caps get hot from ripple and heat conducted through the board traces.if the esr has gone high they will get hotter than normal till they vent.
                        post pics of your board here.iirc i had one of those in here.
                        2 phase vrm and skimpy output caps.
                        looks like it was designed by "madman muntz"

Comment

The brand of the other power supply is Win Power 600W.
                          I posted a picture of my board (not the best picture)

Could a power problem be causing the RAM, CPU and VGA to be working almost excactely at half the speed?

Comment

Ok, I have a bit of news: I tried 2 different power supplies that are giving more than 12V in their computers (I checked voltages with HWMonitor and they were giving about 12.2V) but both gave only 11.25V in the motherboard that is perfomring badly. The question is: Is it possible that there is something in this board that is stopping full voltage going into the system? and more importantly, could this cause the CPU, RAM and VGA to perform at half of its potential?
                            Thanks you,

Comment

hwmonitor is bs, a toy.
                              use a meter.

Comment

ok, but where will I touch in the board to measure the voltage? I mean, I am saying the powers supplies are ok, so where in the board can I check the 12V rail?
                                Thanks,

Comment

For the 12V rails, check between the yellow and black leads on the 4-pin ATX connector, do the same at the 4-pin molex hard drive or cd/dvd drives. You can cannect the black lead to one point in any connector as the 'ground' is common on all voltages [it's shared for all voltages]. You can 'backprobe' the 24-pin mobo connector, meaning you slide the red probe lead along the wire into the back of the connector. typical ATX power supply colors are: 3.3V=orange, 5v=red, 12v=yellow.
                                  Stupidity should be a crime, especially for drivers. I have NO patience for them.

Comment

Hi,
                                    I have 4 capacitor near the CPU and in front of them there are 2 cooper wired rings getting really hot. In fact the cooper rings are hotter than the capacitors. I can touch the capacitors, 3 of the 4 are hot, but the cooper rings are so hot I can't touch them!. My PC is performing half of the speed that it used to (exactly half of the speed of the CPU RAM VGA etc.). I changed RAM, HDD, Power supply, and still perform half of what these components perform in my other motherboard. I also noticed that from some time my PC crashes when playing games for few hours. It happened to my now that I am running my system outside the case (I wasn't playing any games!), and I noticed that the CPU's heat-sink and the cooper wired rings and capacitor beside it were HOT-HOT-HOT, just after awhile I could restart my PC.
                                    My question is: are these symptoms indicating problem with capacitors or those cooper wired rings?

Thanks for any help,

Plz specify that " half of the speed " bios settings problem?

and ur pc specs (cpu, motherboard, rams, etc)

Comment

Working...
                                    X