how to get rid of wifi mooches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: how to get rid of wifi mooches

Assuming that "prettygirl' is a noob, what Ratdude has done is the simplest way to prevent her from using his AP. Her client won't see the AP since its not advertised, and since he changed the SSID she can no longer connect to it.This assumes, of course, that she is a noob. If she weren't a noob then she would easily find the AP again but we are making that big assumption here ... As for legitimate users, all he has to do is tell them the new SSID.

Comment

so what do you suggest? yeah. she might not be a noob... but wifi cards aint cheap anmd i really don't want to use WEP.
      Last edited by ratdude747; 02-28-2011, 02:32 PM.
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

If you don't mind a little waiting, DealExtreme got WiFi-cards/-dongles for less than US$ 10 incl. shipping.
        ------------
        Be a mensch

Comment

A few old 802.11b cards can be upgraded in firmware to handle WPA, like the Intel 2100. Still 802.11b speed, but it's encrypted.

There's always wired. It's faster and you don't have to worry about the neighbors plugging in a cable.

Comment

since when are wifi cards not cheap? usb dongles start from 10$ at Newegg. if you look around, i'm sure you can find better deals.
            "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

Where do you buy your wireless cards? I have always considered them dirt cheap, I picked up a few Atheros-based 802.11a/b/g cards at Frys for $14 each several years ago. I still have two in service.

Comment

i prefer broadcom and intel chips. better linux compatibility.

the emac is stuck at B.... thats the only airport it will accept. and trust me, i don't want a usb stick... every one i used was crap.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                  i prefer broadcom and intel chips. better linux compatibility.

the emac is stuck at B.... thats the only airport it will accept. and trust me, i don't want a usb stick... every one i used was crap.
                  broadcom? you sure about that?

Comment

yes. fedora seems cool with them ootb, others all that i have to do is some quick fwcutter-b43 work.

ndiswrapper is a crapchute at times... no .inf, no go. some chips also have poor signal indication with it...
                    sigpic

Comment

My old POS HP laptop has a Broadcom wifi card and it was a royal PITA to make it work with Ubuntu. I had to use ndiswrapper and it was about as stable as Charles Manson. It never did very well with signal strength either, both in Window$ and in Ubuntu.

OTOH, the cheap Atheros cards I have do a great job at picking up weak signals (I've had them give me a solid connection where other cards wouldn't even work) and they work great in Ubuntu.

I know there is a huge disparity between specific chipset models but overall, Atheros cards have always worked the best for me. They do DAMN well with a weak signal.

Comment

Also, if you're up for a fun project to mess with prettygirl:

http://www.ex-parrot.com/~pete/upside-down-ternet.html

Comment

what model broadcom? mine is a 4309
                          sigpic

Comment

i changed the ssid slightly and turned off broadcast. bye-bye mooch!
                            That's how my setup has been for the last 3 years or so. You'll be surprised at how effective it is at keeping common people out. My router keeps track of all of the devices that have been connected to it. So far, I haven't seen anything other than only my family's stuff.

Comment

just change your network name to "fbi surveillance van 6" or "dateline nbc predator show"

thatll stop that pretty quick.

Comment

broadcom 4313.... lousy support unless i use ndiswrapper

Comment

so fwcutter doesn't work?
                                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by weirdlookinguy View Post
                                    Also, if you're up for a fun project to mess with prettygirl:

http://www.ex-parrot.com/~pete/upside-down-ternet.html

I was going to suggest that, but couldn't find the link. Way funny
                                    36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

so fwcutter doesn't work?
                                      nope. too new. and probably too little ppl have it, its broadcom's newest-ish N card.

Comment

Get openwrt and you can ban mac addresses and/or redirect her to a page saying stop stealing my wifi.

I thought you were the linux guy?

and LOL what hackers? You think people drive around looking for wep protected networks to crack? The only real "prize" from wifi hacking is internet access when you don't have it.

Just put on wep and lock her out. If she cracks it ask her out. Using encryption won't make you a target. Right now you're SCREAMING all of your browsing at the neighbourhood. Anyone with a wifi card can read the packets with minimal effort... even on windows.

Comment

^^ What he said
                                          36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Working...
                                          X