Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recaping Victor VC921...

Re: Recaping Victor VC921...

It was very interesting, good capacitors put this victor low cost, giving it a little more stability. You like? regards

Comment

Good job with the soldering! Sheeeeeeesh, those original solder joints were nasty looking! (Dull, brittle lead-free solder that cracks easily and grows "tin whiskers" AKA tin crystals)

Only other thing I have to say is you used Jamicon capacitors which are of average quality. But they are NOT in a very stressing environment here, so they should be good!
      Last edited by ben7; 11-24-2013, 02:57 PM.
      Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

It kind of looks like the original caps were leaking.

I wonder what they did at the factory to melt the labels on the caps like that.

Comment

Truly, it is a shame, but to protest over what is complicated, because no open devices, I just did it for leisure and took the surprise. It cost less than 1 euro change all caps. regards

Comment

Sorry to wake up a long dead thread, but I thought it worth pointing out that the design of this multimeter has changed.

The new design uses a chip on board (aka little black blob), and more surface mount components. It appears to be based on a variant of the Fortune Semiconductor Corporation FS9XXX series multimeter chips, but exactly which one is difficult to tell as not all pins are broken out. There is a high probability that it is one of these guys... http://www.ic-fortune.com/eng/new_product3_3.asp ... exactly which one.. well your guess is as good as mine.

A full set of teardown pictures here... https://goo.gl/photos/aR3xKELrAAmGa16o7

The interesting thing is that it has a 24c02 i2c EEROM, presumably for settings and calibration. I'll need to try and find the time to read it and see if it reveals anything useful.
            Last edited by itsthatidiotagain; 01-21-2016, 11:22 AM.

Comment

The Victor VC921 "True RMS" is not a bold unsubstantiated claim.

This variant is based on the HY12P65/HY12P66 the pinout of the little black blob matches this chip *exactly*. (The meter is not as I previously though, based on a Fortune Semiconductor FS9XXX)

This probably makes the "VC921 True RMS" the cheapest true RMS meter on the market (and also probably the lowest build quality )

The HY12P65/66 is in fact a True RMS DMM chip. The board layout out is a similar arrangement to the Victor VC890-X series. It *may* even be capable of RS232 output, time to solder on some very small wires and find out.

Data Sheets, programming info and all things HY12P6X related >> http://www.hycontek.com/e-page2-HY12P.html

The older versions however are *not* based on this chip, and are not true RMS.
              Last edited by itsthatidiotagain; 01-24-2016, 04:11 PM.

Comment

To the OP: Could you shrink those images? It's loading down our WiFi. Thanks.
                Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

lol

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                    lol
                    lol
                    Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                    RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                    Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                    - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                    - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                    - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                    - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X