Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help to identify SMD capacitor markings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help to identify SMD capacitor markings.

I need to replace a surface mount capacitor but not sure what the markings mean. Surface mount became popular after I finished electronics at a vocational school years ago. (I know, I've practically given away my age) Looks like it was just a bad solder connection, but the capacitor is ruined.

These are the markings:

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Help to identify SMD capacitor markings.

I think it is an tantalum capacitor, so i would guess it is 10uF, 35V (that is the usual notation).
    But if you want to be sure, you have to figure out the manufacturer and lock at the data sheet.

Comment

There's no other markings to determine manufacturer. It was in an external enclosure made by Formac. the enclosure doesn't even say the model type.

It says made in Germany.

Comment

Well, probably an older part from AVX. At least the black / white labelling is used by them still today at some of their high reliability tantalum's.
        But usually they print the series on it too. May be the M8 is the series, but then it is probably an older one.

Comment

I'll see if I can search them out, unless you have a link? The device the cap went to was manufactured in 2001, so it's quite possible it is an older series. I just have no clue how to look up the specs. I don't know how many places would go back to 2001 in specs though.

Comment

I would try www.avx.com, but i think you will not get the old data sheet there. Their site is a little unsorted.

Comment

I never did get an answer from the site. I sent a few messages with no reply. Still no luck in figuring it out. I may have to unsolder an existing one and hopefully my tester will be able to properly read it.

Comment

its just a standard sm tantalum
                hit the digikey site and you will find them.
                if it were mine and i didnt have that cap on the shelf i would try a low esr lytic.

Comment

Working...
                X