Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dell 2208WFPf completely dead +another..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell 2208WFPf completely dead +another..

Hi all,

I figured it would be best if I joined a forum specializing in computer/LCD monitor repair, versus posting about it on a radio forum!

My current problem is with two monitors. One, a 22" Dell 2208WFPf does not power on at all. I will plug it in, and it does absolutely nothing. All of the capacitors look good, none of them are swollen (which is a pretty common problem for anything made in the last 10 years) and I don't recall there being a fuse on the PCB, but I may be mistaken. I'm a bit of a "noob" with troubleshooting anything that doesn't require vacuum tubes to run, but I did recap a 20" Acer monitor I have. Any suggestions on what I should look for/at? It's a very nice monitor, I'd hate to "toss" it if I can fix it.

The other monitor, a 19" eMachines monitor, powers on, but only displays a solid white screen. Not sure what the cause would be there. No bloated capacitors, so I don't think the problem lies there.

Thanks guys!

Good to meet you all

Re: Dell 2208WFPf completely dead +another..

Originally posted by SignatureSeriesOwner View Post
    One, a 22" Dell 2208WFPf does not power on at all.
    1) Post clear focused top down view pictures of your boards following the instructions in my sig file below. Please do not post inline.

2) If you have a multimeter, see if there are any secondary DC voltages on the connector between the power board and the logic/main board. At least one of the voltages should be 5 V DC.

3) There should be fuse next to the AC plug. It will be marked on the pcb with "F" for fuse. Maybe something like F100. A good fuse should measure less than 1.0 ohms.

The other monitor, a 19" eMachines monitor, powers on, but only displays a solid white screen.
    3) Start another thread for the emachines. It gets confusing having 2 monitors in the same thread. Post pictures of this too in the new thread.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

No problem!

I will post pics tomorrow, too tired to go out there now.

Two more questions, if I may:

"Secondary DC Voltages" I suppose, in order to test this, I'll need to remove the boards and plug the P/S board in to test this? I can't see there being any voltage when it's not connected to power.

As far as the fuse, will I need to remove it from the circuit to test, or can I simply hold a lead to each end connector where it connects to the PCB to test?

Thanks!

Comment

"Secondary DC Voltages" I suppose, in order to test this, I'll need to remove the boards and plug the P/S board in to test this?
        Correct. All boards need to be plugged in with power ON. Most secondary voltages will be less than 24 V DC. The hot side, however, might be as high as 335 V DC if there is PFC involved.

So we will measure the "cold" side first. Use a ground screw on the cold side for your black probe. On some boards, there will be a legend telling you want to expect on a per pin basis.

If all secondary voltages are 0.0 V, then we need to measure the hot side.

As far as the fuse, will I need to remove it from the circuit to test,
        Test it in circuit. All resistance measurements are done with lcd unplugged and power OFF.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Hi there, just an update, I haven't forgotten, I just haven't been able to spare the time to disassemble these again to take photos yet. Heading to Florida tomorrow, and I'll be there for a week, so after that, I should have a little time for some troubleshooting.

Happy New Year everyone!

Comment

Alrighty, here are pics of the P/S and video board on the DELL.

The fuse measures 0.6 Ohms, so I assume that is good. None of the capacitors appear to be swollen, and I do not have a ESR tester to test them in circuit. Nothing appears to be burnt or look out of the ordinary.

I'm sorry, but I should have said this earlier....how do I measure the secondary voltages? (as in, where?) If you can point out where I should be poking around, I can check it out with my multimeter. Will both boards need to be plugged in, and flipped upside down for me to check the pins under the boards, or is there another method? I would think that if they weren't "grounded" to the frame with the few screws holding them on, they wouldn't read anything, with no ground.

EDIT:

IT appears I cannot add pictures. "A security token is missing."
            Last edited by SignatureSeriesOwner; 01-04-2012, 10:33 AM.

Comment

what kind of browser are you using? can not you disable the firewall only just the moment of uploading?

Comment

EDIT:

IT appears I cannot add pictures. "A security token is missing."
                That message indicates the picture is too large - the board limit is 2000 pixels in either dimension. My preferred tool for cropping and resizing pictures is VuePrint, available free here. Note the serial number.

PlainBill
                For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Working...
                X