Problem with View Sonic lcd monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with View Sonic lcd monitor

I have a really nice View Sonic LCD monitor that doesn't work. when I plug it in the power LED starts blinking, but I'm pretty sure its a capacitor because it is bulged and I can hear it squeaking in sync with the blinking LED, and right as the capacitor stops squeaking the light flashes really bright. It looks like the LED is getting more power than it should and makes it flash wight/orange. If it is the capacitor how hard is it to replace the capacitor? any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Problem with View Sonic lcd monitor

Originally posted by ScorpEM View Post
    I have a really nice View Sonic LCD monitor that doesn't work. when I plug it in the power LED starts blinking, but I'm pretty sure its a capacitor because it is bulged and I can hear it squeaking in sync with the blinking LED, and right as the capacitor stops squeaking the light flashes really bright.
    It would help if you listed the model number and posted clear focused pictures of your boards with a top down view (both sides). Instructions on how to post pictures are at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1868

Replacing capacitors is pretty easy, but it takes a little practice if you have not used a soldering iron before.

There are numerous videos on youtube on how to replace a capacitor. Just ignore all the suggestions about going to Radio Shack for your replacement capacitors as those caps are not suited for SMPS use.

There is also an excellent recap FAQ with pics here at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=485
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

The model is a View Sonic VX2255WMB. Here are some of the pictures the first one has the capacitor that is bulged and squeaks it is a (105°C 1000uF 10v) . I just added the others just in case I missed something.

Attached Files

Comment

The model is a View Sonic VX2255WMB.
        Most here will suggest that you replace ALL the capacitors with name brand caps like Rubycon MCZ series, Panasonic FM series or United Chemicon.

Caps do not have to be bulged in order to be bad. They can have high ESR (ohms) or be out of tolerance. For example a cap can measure 8 ohm ESR which is really high. A good one might measure 0.2 ESR ohm. Or a 1000uF cap might meausre 220uF which is way out of tolerance.

Now having said that and keeping in mind you are possibly new to soldering, you can always just replace the one bulged can and see if your monitor works. If it does, you can leave the other caps alone. The more experienced here will recap everything because they don't want the chance of reopening up the monitor and changing more caps in near future.

edit: The cap that is bulged probably died from heat because it is right next to the heat sink.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Great Thanks!
          I'm good with soldering so I will probably change them all but is it expensive or hard to find? Also I think i remember reading something about changing all the caps is risky is that true?

Comment

I'm good with soldering so I will probably change them all but is it expensive or hard to find? Also I think i remember reading something about changing all the caps is risky is that true?
            Assuming you live in the USA, follow this procedures written by PlainBill.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...33&postcount=2

It shouldn't cost more than $10 USD.

Changing all or even one is risky if

1) you are new to soldering and your technique is bad (too much heat, lift the pads, use too much/little solder, etc)
            2) don't have a good iron
            3) are impatient and make bonehead mistakes
            4) put them in wrong (polarity mistake)

edit: You can leave the big blue su' scon alone. Su'scon is a hated name here, but those big caps rarely fail (but not never).
            Last edited by retiredcaps; 08-24-2010, 05:14 PM.
            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

ScorpEM,

The one you ID is the most commonly gone cap. That cap alone is responsible for your problem.

You can skimp on the caps near the audio output if you don't want to make too many changes if you lack good/decent soldering skill (as explained by retiredcaps).

Comment

Working...
              X