MSI MS-6337 815EPT Pro Ver5 recapped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSI MS-6337 815EPT Pro Ver5 recapped

i recently recapped a MSI 815EPT Pro (Version 5 ; MS-6337) board i accidentially bought on ebay for 1€ *lol*

all VRM caps popped (Lelon RXA 1500uF 10V) and almost all other caps (Chhsi HK 6,3V 1000uF ... EVERYWHERE! ) were at least bulging and most of them popped. some caps were already leaking onto the board and the electrolyte kinda destroyed the pcb surface..

i tried to turn the board on (without CPU, RAM, gfx-card, ...) only with a crappy cheap ass ATX PSU (Casecom "Model: 420Watt" .. actually 240W and weights less than a DVD-ROM drive lol)

wouldnt even power on.. completely dead.

unfortunately i didnt take pics before recapping...

i replaced all Lelon Caps with Panasonic FJ series (6,3V 2200uF) and all other caps (factory: Chhsi) with Rubycon MBZ 6,3V 1800uF

tested the board again after the recap... and it POSTed fine and was rock solid again

i just took a few pics .. they're not so good cause its night here (3:00 AM now)

RAM Caps

damaged PCB (because of Lelon caps)

Celeron 1,2GHz (Tualatin) to be replaced by a Tualatin PIII ; MBZs at the RAM slots and Pannys at the bottom left

RAM Slot Pannys

hope this lasts a bit longer

Re: MSI MS-6337 815EPT Pro Ver5 recapped

oh... and for those Lelons...

ouch...

rubber bung missing (pushed out so far i lost it while desoldering lol)

disassembled... 100% dry ... notice everything is held together by clear sticky tape! o.O

110% dry lol
    really nothing liquid anymore... not even something that could've been a liquid...

and everything STINKS LIKE HELL

Comment

Nice - a Tualatin-capable board is always worth saving, and the 1200/100 Celemine is a very sweet CPU for the price, reliability, power consumption and performance. The only downside of the i815 is that it may be limited to 512KB or 768KB (in the case of 3 DIMM mobos) memory.

Edit: The Tualatin PIII 1200/133/256K is only slightly faster than the the Celeron 1200/100/256K on most desktop tasks or routine stuff that is not memory-bound. With PC100 RAM in the i815, there's virtually no difference; there's maybe 10-15% improvement with PC133 RAM.

The Tualatin PIIIS with 512K cache is a different beast altogether, but not all Tualatin boards support it.
      Last edited by linuxguru; 05-19-2008, 07:48 AM. Reason: Addendum

Comment

nice work....
        dried and crap caps really sucks

Comment

i have the same board(more or less...6337LE5), and yeah, chhsi's were problematic.
          rest of it was teapo, and i left those.
          that said, even the chhsis lasted a long time....it was used for 6-7years...
          (problem was that google apps would shut down the pc..probbaly thrashing hdd a bit more than others apps and south bridge burdened by these caps didn't like it...also, it would need to get warm a bit prior to opearating...if you went straight to win, it would shut down....so i was keeping it for a minute or two in boot-selection(os to pick) menu)

now i keep it as a backup...

about caps dismantling: it's easier if you use cutting pliers to make 4 small(perhaps 1mm or so) incisions on the bottom of the metal housing, then bend the edges a bit(so that its innards can come out).
          yes, it stinks, and i also got the feeling it was poisonous...
          Last edited by i4004; 05-19-2008, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Nice work Scenic

Zandrax
            Have an happy life.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxguru
              Nice - a Tualatin-capable board is always worth saving
              indeed the only problem is that this is the only tualatin-ready board i have :/

and the 1200/100 Celemine is a very sweet CPU for the price, reliability, power consumption and performance.
              well.. i actually have 5 tualatin CPUs here. unfortunately only celerons.
              bought them a wile ago on ebay (5pcs in 1 auction). 1,2GHz - 1,4GHz. 3 of them came boxed with the boxed heatsink/fan, manual, case sticker and stuff..

costs: 6€ (feb. 2007)

The only downside of the i815 is that it may be limited to 512KB or 768KB (in the case of 3 DIMM mobos) memory.
              well.. as long as its MB and not KB

i'm actually running this sys with 2x256MB PC133 Kingston
              sad it doesn't support my left-over 512MB PC133 SD-RAM sticks

Edit: The Tualatin PIII 1200/133/256K is only slightly faster than the the Celeron 1200/100/256K on most desktop tasks or routine stuff that is not memory-bound. With PC100 RAM in the i815, there's virtually no difference; there's maybe 10-15% improvement with PC133 RAM.

The Tualatin PIIIS with 512K cache is a different beast altogether, but not all Tualatin boards support it.
              this board seems to support it... but i dont wanna waste money on a cpu if i don't know this for sure.

i think it's more important to get a few mainboards for the other Celerons i've got here

Comment

I believe I have had this very same motherboard die out on me a year or so back, after about four yoears of solid service running Win2K, wait for it, Server in PDC mode.

I will go dig it up and confirm, I may just want to see if I can resurrect it similarly, just for the heck of it..., as it was, other than the capacitor goo tracks, in pristine condition when I so very reluctantly prised it out of the case...

Agola G.O.,
                Nairobi, Kenya

Comment

Working...
                X