ASUS P5B Deluxe won't POST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASUS P5B Deluxe won't POST

OK here's another board that seems to have gone into a coma over a period of one week. First it just wouldn't boot from time to time then it would work fine for a couple of days.

Now it won't POST at all. Fans spin up, LEDs are on but there's nothing on screen and it doesn't beep.

The caps are a mixture of ubycon, Sanyo and KZG Chemicons. None look bloated. There are four 1000uF 16V near the 8-pin 12V connector but they look okay.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Re: ASUS P5B Deluxe won't POST

775=Socket the first suspect.
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Hey, that's a great board!

I'm using a reular P5B that I completely re-capped and modded for a quad core Xeon (E5430).

You need to get rid of the KZG. They don't usually bloat, but they're probably no good.

If you can't find 8mm 16V 1000uF caps that are suitable, you can use 8mm 16V 270uF polymer capacitors (or better).

Good luck.
      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
        775=Socket the first suspect.
        Nope. It's extremely rare for anything to go wrong with the socket unless it gets damaged while removing or installing a CPU (which is NOT the OP's case).
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
          You need to get rid of the KZG. They don't usually bloat, but they're probably no good.

If you can't find 8mm 16V 1000uF caps that are suitable, you can use 8mm 16V 270uF polymer capacitors (or better).

Good luck.
          I can get Rubycon ZLH or Panasonic FR caps but they don't perfectly match KZG in specs.

As for polymer capacitors, I have access to Nichion FPCAP R7:
          http://si.farnell.com/nichicon/rr71c...d=700000005426

By better did you mean bigger capacitance?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
            Nope. It's extremely rare for anything to go wrong with the socket unless it gets damaged while removing or installing a CPU (which is NOT the OP's case).
            That's just from my experience, at least with a used motherboard.

Folks gentle like me unlikely to have that issue.

But, if a portion of the socket looks odd to you, it's automatically suspect.

Symptom sounds like my Asus Maximus II Gene before RMAing it.
            And it looked like a moron broke a socket pin.
            I actually wondered if it came out of the factory like that.
            Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 12-16-2014, 04:35 PM.
            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

Originally posted by Half-Saint View Post
              I can get Rubycon ZLH or Panasonic FR caps but they don't perfectly match KZG in specs.

As for polymer capacitors, I have access to Nichion FPCAP R7:
              http://si.farnell.com/nichicon/rr71c...d=700000005426

By better did you mean bigger capacitance?

Thanks
              No, that's no good. Read the right side, the product is stocked in the USA, and they will charge you 25 Euro to ship it.

Here are some suitable replacements:
              1) 2354608
              2) 2354609
              3) 2354648
              4) 2354649
              5) 1580588

Good luck, and make sure you don't rip up any pads when you solder in the polymer replacements. Polymer capacitors need more heat, because they absorb quite a bit more than electrolytic caps, or at least in my experience that is.
              "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

That's just from my experience, at least with a used motherboard.

Folks gentle like me unlikely to have that issue.

But, if a portion of the socket looks odd to you, it's automatically suspect.

Symptom sounds like my Asus Maximus II Gene before RMAing it.
                And it looked like a moron broke a socket pin.
                I actually wondered if it came out of the factory like that.
                I know you had that experience, but it's different and irrelevant to this thread. The OP did NOT remove or re-install the CPU before it happened, so it's impossible for it to be a damaged socket. They don't just damage themselves, you know. It's far more likely to be either bad caps or just another case of an ASUS board doing what they do best. Best thing to try would be a recap, as suggested by mockingbird.
                Last edited by c_hegge; 12-16-2014, 06:36 PM.
                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Indeed the socket is fine. I'll order the caps and see, if I can make it work.

Comment

Originally posted by Half-Saint View Post
                    Indeed the socket is fine. I'll order the caps and see, if I can make it work.
                    I gotten real nervous one day, when putting one my Core 2s in the socket, because my hand was shaking, lol.
                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Oh yeah? Try cutting off the socket keys on the sides, so that you can fit in a 771 Xeon. Done 2 so far. Take a steady hand and a sharp blade.

There's a guy who dremels out the sides and sells them as 775 CPUs, with the adapters stuck in place on the underside. It's an E5472, which means 1600FSB... Too much for a 965 in my opinion, heck I run my E5430 at 1066 and the northbridge already gets very hot. Later chipsets (H55 and on) do 1333fsb without breaking a sweat and with puny heatsinks.

I'd only do 1333FSB on 965/P35/P45 with active cooling.
                      Attached Files

Comment

1333/4 is a piece of cake, even P43 don't have trouble.

So far, on my P45, only my Q6600 SLACR L8 gives me trouble and that was when I upped the FSB to 367 Mhz. The Q6600 apparently requires bumping the FSB termination voltage to 1.3 V.

I can confirm that Duos don't have such problem.

Bus errors appear to be common on Core 2 Quads.
                        (Most likely core ids 3 or 2) (4th core or 3rd core)

If you have the FSB at about 350 Mhz or higher and have a Core 2 Quad, there's an excellent chance of a bus error when running Prime95 in blend mode and browsing the internet.
                        Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 12-18-2014, 02:30 PM.
                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Later chipsets (H55 and on) do 1333fsb without breaking a sweat and with puny heatsinks.

H55 is a Core i series chipset, IIRC. Not even compatible with 775, IIRC.

Apples to oranges, IIRC, because Core i series have an on-die RAM controller.
                          (Not even FSB-based, like what AMD has already been doing for 11 years!)
                          Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 12-18-2014, 02:36 PM.
                          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

1333/4 is a piece of cake, even P43 don't have trouble.
                            1333 is a piece of cake on P965 too. P5B supports 1333 in the Beta BIOS only, but that didn't stop Asus from advertising it on the box (At least on Rev 1.04G, they added this sticker

So far, on my P45, only my Q6600 SLACR L8 gives me trouble and that was when I upped the FSB to 367 Mhz. The Q6600 apparently requires bumping the FSB termination voltage to 1.3 V.

I can confirm that Duos don't have such problem.

Bus errors appear to be common on Core 2 Quads.
                            (Most likely core ids 3 or 2) (4th core or 3rd core)

If you have the FSB at about 350 Mhz or higher and have a Core 2 Quad, there's an excellent chance of a bus error when running Prime95 in blend mode and browsing the internet.
                            I'm very appreciative of this bit here since I am having a problem with the third and forth core of an E5430 in a P5B-VM SE. This sort of explains it, but it doesn't explain why Prime95 throws errors for the 3rd and forth core when the FSB is significantly underclocked, nor does it explain how Asus claims compatibility with Core2Quad for this board (Perhaps they were lying or perhaps this has something to do with the Xeon - eventhough I updated the microcode).

Another thing... Yes, P45 can handle 1333FSB, in fact the northbridge is even designed to run over 70C. Looking at a P5B I bought a few months ago, the area around the northbridge transistor is dark. P965/P35/P45 can run at 1333FSB, but do you want to run them that hot?

I have a Vostro 420 (Trash find) with a real Q9650 and a G45 board. Northbridge heatsink got so hot I put a little fan on it and now it is far far cooler (I would say between 30c-45c).
                            Apples to oranges, IIRC, because Core i series have an on-die RAM controller.
                            (Not even FSB-based, like what AMD has already been doing for 11 years!)
                            Good point. I didn't consider that.

Comment

I'm very appreciative of this bit here since I am having a problem with the third and forth core of an E5430 in a P5B-VM SE. This sort of explains it, but it doesn't explain why Prime95 throws errors for the 3rd and forth core when the FSB is significantly underclocked, nor does it explain how Asus claims compatibility with Core2Quad for this board (Perhaps they were lying or perhaps this has something to do with the Xeon - eventhough I updated the microcode).
                              Are you getting WHEA errors with a bus/interconnect error in the event log?
                              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

All I checked was the worker windows and it says something like "GOT XXX Epected XXX, Halted". Where is the event log? I can run it again and check... The problem is the P5B-VM SE has no voltage adjustment in the BIOS. I'd really like to get all four cores working.

Comment

All I checked was the worker windows and it says something like "GOT XXX Epected XXX, Halted". Where is the event log? I can run it again and check... The problem is the P5B-VM SE has no voltage adjustment in the BIOS. I'd really like to get all four cores working.
                                  Getting a Prime95 error that looks like this:

FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5 Expected less than 0.4

------------------------------------------------------------------
                                  Quite often not enough Vcore.

It's possible to be lack of RAM stability, when in blend mode, even though it's common to get
                                  "STOP: 0x00000050" and "STOP:0x0000008E" BSODs with lack of RAM stability.
                                  Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 12-23-2014, 11:13 AM.
                                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Getting a Prime95 error that looks like this:

FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5 Expected less than 0.4

------------------------------------------------------------------
                                    Quite often not enough Vcore.

It's possible to be lack of RAM stability, when in blend mode, even though it's common to get
                                    "STOP: 0x00000050" and "STOP:0x0000008E" BSODs with lack of RAM stability.
                                    Yes, that's the error!

It's not the RAM, I tried many different modules.

I would try upping the VCore, but I don't think there's any VCore adjustment on this board.

Comment

Working...
                                    X