Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yamaha RX-A760 not powering on (newbie)

So, full disclosure on how I fried this AVR (this is REALLY emabrassing!):
    I was attempting the battery test with my speakers to check their polarity, and like an idiot, I unplugged the speaker wires from the speaker rather than the receiver and touched the leads to the battery. So in other words, the speaker wires were connected to the receiver and I touched the other ends to the battery! This caused the receiver to shut down and go into what I understand is "protection mode", where the receiver wont turn on until it is serviced.

So I searched online for a diy fix and found out how to try and override the protection mode and get it turn back on (hold down "info"+"tone control" and press "main zone/power"). This did not work - the receiver clicked like it was trying to turn on, but failed to fully power up.

I then read that it could be a fuse, so I opened it up and found a fuse on what I think is the power supply board. I replaced it, but not with the EXACT same voltage (replaced 8A 125v with 8A 250v), and I ended up blowing that fuse (could this be the problem).

So I removed the fuse completely and then attempted the power on the AVR using the protection override method, and it turned on! But it displayed a code: PS2 PRT: 124. I have no idea what this means, but maybe someone here does.

So, have I totally fried this thing? Is there any possibility of saving it?

Thanks, and please excuse my ignorance!

Re: Yamaha RX-A760 not powering on (newbie)

Most likely, you have blown up some components, at that channel.
    You will have to check all the components at that channel, and replace what is damaged.

Comment

Thank you for the reply tibimakai.

I will take a look. Any signs I should be looking for with regard to bad components?

Comment

Here are the basics - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKCSD3F3D9w

PS2 PRT: 124 if I remember correctly this is an error associated with the power supply.. which in your case is caused by the removed fuse ( no power through the main transformer )

Comment

Originally posted by madan1 View Post
          Here are the basics - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKCSD3F3D9w

PS2 PRT: 124 if I remember correctly this is an error associated with the power supply.. which in your case is caused by the removed fuse ( no power through the main transformer )
          Makes sense. And thanks for the video! I'll give it a shot.

Comment

Working...
          X