Used TV Resales, very slow...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Used TV Resales, very slow...

I've been repairing and selling used TVs for quite a few years now, mostly on Craigslist. I've watched prices go down over the years as prices of new TVs also go way down.
    Now it's at a point where both purchases and sales are extremely difficult. I do Craigslist and a couple apps (letgo and OfferUp), but very few calls even when priced what I think is fair..

Even part sales have slowed down dramatically.

I'd like to know what everyone is is seeing, what's working, what's not, and what you're getting for certain size LCD/LEDs these days..

Maybe I'm way over priced!
    Last edited by kevinm34232; 05-26-2018, 05:20 PM.

Re: Used TV Resales, very slow...

Tc-p42s30 /tc-p42st30 (3d version) -$175 to $225
    Tc-p50u50/tc-p50ut50 (3d version)-$250 to $275
    Tc-p55st30-$300
    Tc-p55gt30-$325
    Tc-p65s1-$450 to $500
    40" Samsung lcd-$125 to $150
    I explain that I will give a 3 month warranty on them and they are built 500% better than the led tvs being sold now that will die in 14 to 16 months. Then I show them a picture of about 40 led tvs that are bad from burnt leds. If they dont want them, say good day sir, and somebody else will buy them.

Comment

Here's two I have now

47 " Seiki SE47FY19 1080p LED HDTV Television - $195
      https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/chl...597525298.html

42" Vizio E3D420VX 3D LCD HDTV Smart TV w/Apps - $195
      https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/chl...596692373.html

Seems like a good starting price, but very few inquiries.
      Last edited by kevinm34232; 05-26-2018, 05:56 PM.

Comment

85% of the time the leds are bad. I dont even mess with them anymore, unless I get them for free.

Comment

I'm talking about repaired TVs, these are repaired, and I do repair LEDs if possible. The Seiki did have bad LEDs.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinm34232 View Post
            I've been repairing and selling used TVs for quite a few years now, mostly on Craigslist. I've watched prices go down over the years as prices of new TVs also go way down.
            Now it's at a point where both purchases and sales are extremely difficult. I do Craigslist and a couple apps (letgo and OfferUp), but very few calls even when priced what I think is fair..

I'd like to know what everyone is is seeing, what's working, what's not, and what you're getting for certain size LCD/LEDs these days..

It is nice to see you are keeping these sets still alive but we live in a throw away World now. People would rather pay for new out-of-the-box than buy 5 year old repaired tv's not knowing if they will even last another year or more. I would only try to fix things like that for myself or family or friends not to sell to the general public.

Comment

42" Vizio E3D420VX 3D LCD HDTV Smart TV w/Apps - $195
              https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/chl...596692373.html

Seems like a good starting price, but very few inquiries.
              A quick look at bestbuy.com (USA), I can buy a brand new Insignia 43 inch LED for $199.99 USD brand new.

Or Toshiba 43 inch for $219 USD.

All with warranty and brand new. Thus, your asking price for an used repaired Vizio 42 inch of $195 USD is out of line.
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

So is anyone else selling used tvs, what are you getting for 42, 47, 50" 1080p tvs?

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                  A quick look at bestbuy.com (USA), I can buy a brand new Insignia 43 inch LED for $199.99 USD brand new.

All with warranty and brand new. Thus, your asking price for an used repaired Vizio 42 inch of $195 USD is out of line.
                  I agree 100%.

Comment

I get it, but I'm doing this to make a few $, not as a hobby.

I understand there are cheap tvs for sale.

There are also 48" 1080p Sonys for $400 on at Best Buy. I'm just asking approximately what others in the biz are getting for used ones, and what sites/apps are working best...
                    Last edited by kevinm34232; 05-26-2018, 10:14 PM.

Comment

There are also 48" 1080p Sonys for $400 on at Best Buy. I'm just asking approximately what others in the biz are getting for used ones, and what sites/apps are working best...
                      I do not know about you but I personally would be very reluctant to buy used tvs from someone on Craigs List given the fact that there is no buyer protection from something like that, way too risky IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post

Yep, Walmart has m for similar prices, the profit margins have been shrinking the last few years, now they must be darn-right miniscule. Looks like they are cutting every corner they can, using substandard parts or trying to get away with under-powered power supplies etc. explaining why tvs are breaking down in warranty or just out of warranty with all kinds of strange symptoms showing up, I don't think the technology is at fault as much as the weak marginal at best components they are passing off on everyone. Looks like quality control is nonexistent today, which would be good for the tv repair man IF the tvs weren't so cheap to buy.
                        Last edited by nomoresonys; 05-26-2018, 10:30 PM.

Comment

I am not trying to insult you as a seller but the most that I would pay for a used tv that had repairs done to it weather it was 10" or 100" and more than 3 years old and about the same price as a new set would be no more than 25% of new price. It is a tv, tons of them out there.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                            Yep, Walmart has m for similar prices, the profit margins have been shrinking the last few years, now they must be darn-right miniscule. Looks like they are cutting every corner they can, using substandard parts or trying to get away with under-powered power supplies etc. explaining why tvs are breaking down in warranty or just out of warranty with all kinds of strange symptoms showing up, I don't think the technology is at fault as much as the weak marginal at best components they are passing off on everyone. Looks like quality control is nonexistent today, which would be good for the tv repair man IF the tvs weren't so cheap to buy.
                            Yep. As a former tv repairman i starved to death. Worked in 2 repair shops no go.

Comment

Repair for direct sale televisions make up about a quarter of my workshop throughput, it varies considerably but up-to a half would typically be made up of clients televisions in for repair and from there about a quarter of my repair workload could be anything from dishwashers, GHDs, micro electronics and digital work macbooks to old stereos and radio equipment repair or modifications.

I usually don't pay for faulty televisions, resale wise similar to prices already quoted,

Upto £150 for 42 - 48 LCD sets (branded)

As to 4k and 3D stuff I look at the original sales pricing and usually sell for half retail pricing unless the set was very expensive to start with then I might list for a 3rd of retail. This formula has served me well for a long time all my work is warranted for at least 3 months, and will typically include local delivery and setup if required.

I certainly had to diversify my workload though to remain viable.

Comment

I've only done repairs as a hobby and to make some beer money. Several years ago I could get sets to repair and make a little profit to make it worth while. Now I haven't purchased a set to repair in almost a year.
                                As said above the prices of new sets had dropped massively over the last few years. What TV's I do find for sale are often at a price I would have great difficulty selling at. There's little interest in HD or HD ready sets. People are now generally looking for smart TV's to purchase and the only one's I see for sale are cracked screen sets and then at stupid prices.
                                Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

I have been doing TVs for about 4-5 years now... In NE Florida... At a Flea Market...

I have several "scrappers" (dumpster divers) and a couple of "hangers" (guys who install high end TVs for rich clients and get the "old" TVs to haul away) on the "payroll"...

All told, I usually get anywhere from 5-20 TVs in per week... In addition, I usually get about 3-8 TV repairs per week from customers...

My successful repair rate is around 30% from the scrappers, 70% from the hangers and about 70% from the repair customers..

For sales, I usually offer a 3 month warranty for sets under $300, 6 month warranty for TVs $300-$800 and one year warranty for any sets over $800.

Having set the stage, I have definitely seen where prices are dropping and sales are off..

It's very disheartening to walk around WalMart and see how low "high end" units are going for...

Tax Time is my busiest sales time and usually lasts 4 weeks, give or take... This year, I had one good weekend of sales ($2200+)....

I tried doing the FaceBook/Swip Swap/Craiglist thing, but found I was spending a LOT of time talking with people that could have been spent repairing.. And usually, it's all just talk with very few sales to show for it..

But, it's a living.. I figure I'll be doing this until I can't see straight anymore..

A time, unfortunately, that is fast approaching.

Comment

Thanks this is the info I'm looking for... There is still a market for these tvs, just need to find the buyers..

Craigslist has been my bread and butter for years, and it still may be... The apps I also get a few leads from.. But they're limited to what you can say ... Is anyone having good luck with a certain website or app?

I have not been very active in the last year or so with selling, but now all of a sudden I find myself with several tvs for sale. I'll be experimenting with different marketing.
                                    For some reason I got blocked from all the local Facebook groups even though I have only posted once or twice on there. But I didn't get much from there anyway..

Comment

Yea, this is pretty much my existence.. 6, sometimes 7 days a week... My biggest issue is space...

At the rate of inbounds I see, I need a decent sized warehouse..

Unfortunately I got a 15'x30' work/display area with a few storage areas scattered around the market..

Comment

Instead of selling refurbished TVs, maybe start parting them out and just sell the boards, LED strips, etc. Damn, have you seen some of the prices those used LED strips sell for?! Sort of like parting out used cars, where the parts are worth more than the running car itself. As evident by the number of requests for help on this forum, it's clear a lot of people are no longer willing to pay someone else to repair their sets. So, they give it a go at the repair themselves. Look at shopjimmy, they seem to do a brisk business selling parts. Of course, there are those DIYers that don't perform any testing and just order boards in the hope that will solve their problem. These "experimenters" can waste your time and return good boards in non-working condition, but if you have access to a lot of TVs and are willing to assume some risk, then this could be another avenue of income.
                                        Last edited by jetadm123; 05-27-2018, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X