Recap of a IBM NetVista 6350 11U

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recap of a IBM NetVista 6350 11U

This compy is currently a P4 1.4ghz with 192mb RAM running 98 on a 20gb IBM drive.

Initial thought was that the HD was dead - suddenly windows could not be booted, and when you tried to reinstall the OS it said no HD found. Owner did eventually get it to boot, and they got all their important stuff off of it. I brough the machine home later and did a disk-to-disk transfer of their drive, everything worked fine. However, I did notice 6 bulged and leaking YEC 1000uf 6.3v caps clustered right around the IDE connectors.

Replaced those caps and haven't had a hiccup with the old drive yet, even throwing it through extensive tests. I'll be giving the compy back, recapped, tomorrow, with the old HD still running in it to let them give it a shot in production . Here's the pics:

General layout of the board:

Closer of the bad caps:

The board replaced, and half-installed:

I ended up replacing the caps with what I had, 4 were replaced by 1200uf 6.3v Panasonic FM series, and 2 were replaced by 1500uf 6.3v Panasonic FM series. I need to replenish my smaller value cap stock!

And now, to the air compressor!
    Ludicrous gibs!

Re: Recap of a IBM NetVista 6350 11U

Aren't the light blue ones YEC too? I've seen them bad on DTK i440LX board.

Comment

Interesting that the I/O shield is integrated with the ports. I've seen an Acer board with that design. What brand is the CPU fan? It looks like 40mm, so it's prone to fail any day now unless of good-known brand.
      The great capacitor showdown!

Comment

probably a 60mm one. i would use an adapter 60mm -> 80mm and sell the board as "customized silent pc"

dood, i also run out of my smaller cap stock..

btw, interesting.. this is the first time i see "onboard" I/O shield. that's ingenious. i uses to canibalize some I/O shield from another case/mobo for the one that had none (sometime the mobo is alo uncompatible with case's I/O shield).
        days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

lol, probably is a 60mm, didn't notice it was a P4 1.4.

Comment

get rid of all the yec brand caps.
            that is even the 330@6.3 and the ones near the cpu.
            even if not bulging.i have found the only cure for these when they get buggy is a total recap.
            i have one here for repair that bootloops and powers itself off.no bulging caps but vcore is a mess on the scope.

Comment

I would've replaced all of the YEC caps, but I didn't have enough caps in stock to do it, and this was an emergency overnight repair. The CPU fan is stock from IBM, and appears to do a fine job of cooling the P4. The fans in this system are temp controlled, so it is quite quiet, actually.

The integrated IO shield would only be ingenious if all case manufacturers would have a standard opening for them. Maybe for the next spec of cases?
              Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

The integrated IO shield would only be ingenious if all case manufacturers would have a standard opening for them. Maybe for the next spec of cases?

Great idea! ATX is getting too old, but industrial inertia would prove big opposition to any change.

Comment

looks like a good stable board once it is recapped. any idea who makes them?
                  capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

>any idea who makes them?
                    maybe Acer? I have a PII acer board with those YEC.

Comment

Many older IBMs used Acer boards so this might be Acer too.

Comment

Working...
                      X