Dell Optiplex GX280 no boot and fan going crazy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell Optiplex GX280 no boot and fan going crazy

In my Dell Optiplex GX280 SFF was the same problem. I've found that PSU connector P2 was like "burned" inside (under +12VDC yellow wires). I think that high power of CPU eventually caused lost of contact in this segment. I made some adjustments to connector and now Dell boots succesfully.
    Maybe it will help..

Comment

you had requested if anyone has any info on reviving the optiplex gx280 to please fill you in,ok i picked up 2 of the gx280s from a local recycling yard the tower model and the smaller form factor gx280 model,neither worked both did the turbo fan thing,i have revived both units by applying a technique used in repairing xbox360s ive used countless times,one person mentioned the horrible quality of solder ur right the solder used in the assembly of these units is terrible,using the heat gun method on low setting to reball/reflow the solder joints of the boards chip set and by chipset i mean southbridge/video/nic/usb/ect,and flip the motherboard over after the top has cooled atleast 15 minutes and with the cpu heat sink and cpu itself removed u wanna reflow the bottom and make sure to pay a little extra attention to the bottom were the southbridge and cpu socket are,this method revived both gx280s this was over a year ago and one of them stays on 24hours a day 7days a week not exagerating and i play world of warcraft on it daily,quick tip u need a heatgun/paint stripper not a hair dryer hairdryers dont get hot enough,second keep the heat gun at least half a foot away(above)from the board at all times this is to keep it from accidently getting the board to hot and blowing smalll components off,and third keep the heat gun moving at all times pick a chipset and make slow constantly moving circles around it do that for 5 minutes and move to the next area example(the southbridge),wrap the plastic sockets in tin foil to avoid warping them i do this all the time with xbox360s unplug from mains power press power on and hold for 10secs to assure no remaining voltage that way u wont damage anything in case the foil shorts anything while reflowing,and lastly DONT KNOCK MOVE HIT BUMP ECT the board during or atleast 15mins after cooling we dont want anything getting knocked off ,

sorry for the bad spelling i do hope this helps some of you get ur gx280s running agian it has helped me loads of times getting laptop boards,xbox360 boards,countless desktop boards,even cell phone logic boards

Comment

The soldering you are talking about was the early RoHS [lead free] ball-grid problem that affected every chipset on every motherboard and it thus it is not a problem with THAT 'board' or THAT 'manufacturer' or even with motherboards, it is a problem with all electronics THAT 'age'. The problem shows up in printers, cell phone, appliances, and *anything* electronic that is THAT 'age'.
        Even then it's not like 'common' for things to fail from it.
        - Although it probably shares measurable percentage of the reasons for failure when something that age does fail, they aren't dropping like flies from THAT.

If you failed to remove the electrolytic caps while you did this then you 'aged' the ever lovin' snot out of the caps.
        Not too bright.
        Last edited by PCBONEZ; 06-29-2011, 01:24 PM.
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

i am experiencing this problems.turbo fan speed no display.and amber power light.any solution?

Comment

Pull and reseat components. Start with the RAM, next the video card.
            sig files are for morons

Comment

im experience with high fan speed and no display... plz guide me from where to start ? which caps could be bad ? im not seeing any blown cap . plz help

Comment

You should also try to remove the plate that is holding the CPU in place. Install the CPU with just the fan on top. The fixing of the plate will bend the board a little bit. This sometimes causes the fan crazy thing (well i guess indirectly). You can test if this solution will work by booting up and on the same moment pushing on top of the fan.

Comment

what is the temperature of the heat gun?

Comment

I have a small desktop GX280 that is mostly dead. I thought it was a cap problem, but after reading this thread there's another possibility, a cracked solder under a BGA, and I don't think I can do much about that.
                    The caps I've seen in repair kits are 1500uF 6.3V and 1800 uF 6.3V, and there are nine of the latter next to the CPU socket.

Did anyone ever successfully repair this board (see attachment) by recapping? Which caps were replaced? How did the caps fail?

In addition to the 9 caps next to the CPU, there are 2 unused spots, presumably for the same 1800 uF cap. Can I just add 2 new caps there and leave the old ones in place? The sum of total capacity should increase by about 3600, and the ESR should go down somewhat, and if the problem is with the caps it should make a noticeable improvement.
                    Currently, it starts posting maybe 1 out of 10 times (but never finish booting), and about 6 out of 10 times the fan just goes crazy.

TIA
                    Attached Files

Comment

Did you check the power supply for bad caps as well?
                      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I did not check them with a meter, but I do not see bulging or leaking caps in the PS.

Comment

I measured (in circuit) the 1800 uF caps (9) next to the CPU socket, and depending on frequency, they're about 1550 - 1600 uF. Definitely less than 1800 but within 20%.

The 1000 uF/16V caps are about 850 uF each, also a little on the low side, but also within 20%.

Kinda hard to figure out what to do.... it's not like a 1000 uF cap measuring 125.

Comment

We've repaired over 50 Dell boards, 270s, 280 and 745s that have what we call "runaway fan".

The easiest test we've found is to push down on the top of the fan on the CPU heat sink, if it boots with the added pressure your problem is cracked solder balls under the 775 CPU socket.

There are all kinds of voodoo ways of trying to re-flow the solder balls, you can wrap it in a blanket, heat it with a hot air gun, put it on a pancake griddle. None of the quicky ways gives great, consistant or guaranteed results. We have an IR solder station and still only cure 9/10.
                            Sometimes we can re-flow the socket sometimes we have to remove it nad put a new one on.

Of course you should change all the caps before you do anything to the BGA socket, start with the easy stuff but if after all the caps have been changed the fan still takes off like crazy try booting it with some additional pressure on the CPU

Jeff

Comment

Good info, thanks. Thing is, I'd like to find out before recapping if it's the caps or cracked solder balls, so I think I'll just "spring load" the HSF first to see if that makes any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Antoshka View Post
                                In my Dell Optiplex GX280 SFF was the same problem. I've found that PSU connector P2 was like "burned" inside (under +12VDC yellow wires). I think that high power of CPU eventually caused lost of contact in this segment. I made some adjustments to connector and now Dell boots succesfully.
                                Maybe it will help..
                                @Antoshka

Thanks for your post. I had the same symptoms - intermittent boot failure with fan running flat out, intermittent locking up of the system when it did decide to boot. I had a dry joint on the mobo on the power connector's +12V line. No cap changing to get this system up and running again but your post pointed me in the right direction. It was hard to see, btw.

P.S. Any ideas what I'm gonna tell the boss (i.e. wife) how it's suddenly fixed after I ordered a 760 SFF?

Comment

Faulty capacitor info

To isolate the caps which may be at fault have a look here:

http://news.cnet.com/PCs-plagued-by-...3-5942647.html

The interesting bit says:

The bad capacitors are black and gold-colored low-ESR (equivalent series resistance) aluminum electrolytic cylinders about an inch in length and marked HN(M) and HM(M) on the side with a letter "X" stamped on the top.
                                  I can't vouch for the accuracy of this info but CNET is pretty reliable in my view. Maybe this will help someone identify the rogue caps in their system.

Comment

i have a GX280 still in use, I put a 65nm pentium 4 inside and it runs much cooler and less fan noise, however the small formfactors I think are stuck at 3.2 or 3.4 as i tried a 3.6 cedarmill and it would not boot.
                                    My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by BigTroll View Post
                                      i have a GX280 still in use, I put a 65nm pentium 4 inside and it runs much cooler and less fan noise, however the small formfactors I think are stuck at 3.2 or 3.4 as i tried a 3.6 cedarmill and it would not boot.
                                      If it fails to boot, it's probably because the Cedar Mill is a real late model Pentium 4 and has a different Vcore and amp spec.

Cedar Mill appears to have been released during the same year as the first Core 2 Duo, LOL.

Its a real early gen 775 board, thus, don't expect any post-2005 chip to even work! (And much less a Core 2 of course!)
                                      Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 01-16-2014, 01:35 PM.
                                      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                        That is known as the GX280 "turbo fan syndrome". There is no known cure for it. I've sent hundreds of these boards to the recycler over this. I've read this is caused by the BGA breaking loose under the northbridge (thank the tree huggers and RoHS compliant solder). This can not be repaired, atleast not in any manner thats economically feasible. The GX280 was a piece of crap all the way around, the only Dell board I've encountered the last decade that a simple recapping wouldn't fix.
                                        I currently have two of these GX280's given to me. One works fine, the other has the turbo fan. I have about 10 bad caps below the memory slots.

I attached a photo with the location and type of obviously bad caps, but I went ahead and ordered a full recap kit.

Are you saying the moral of your story is that I should not even try to recap this board? I'm okay with junking it if needed.

*EDIT*
                                        Both of my GX280s have bad power supplies, I wonder if the supplies arent taking the other components out?
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by fuxxy; 05-03-2014, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Recapped the entire board, and ItWorks)tm) !

Not entirely sure why, but I highly suspect the PSU has thrown some abnormal voltages at the motherboard, causing it to give way

Comment

Working...
                                          X