This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

First off as a new member I want to say Hi! I'm an old gal with a new computer
    build and repair service, I work out of my garage and I'm pretty much self taught, with a few specialty night classes here and there over the years. I probably would not have even gone into an actual business save for fact that
    I've spent the past 6 yrs working on first relatives, then friends, then constant
    referrals, and really have nothing to show for it. When the majority of my regular customers and relatives started suggesting that I should actually start a business after my husband died, I laughed, I'm not smart enough, no schooling..etc. Well finances and hard times convinced me where others couldn't, and here I am.
    I came upon this forum while trying to learn more about the electronic end of what I do. I may not have schooling but I am a firm believer in the power of the "Information Highway", If there is something you need information about theres a 98% chance you can find it on the net, and one of the first real classes I took gave an entire 3 week period on search engines, how they work and how to use them. I had a great teacher and learned some invaluable matierial. Well anyway here I am, and I wanna thank you all now for the info I've learned so far, and thank you again for what I'm sure i will keep learning.
    Pesti

Comment

I am Fd from Pakistan,I am new here!
      Hope to learn new things!
      I m basically here to find a solution for my Blown agp cap nd am very much happy with very quick replies!!!

Comment

Hi, retired and to keep myself amused rat the local rubbish tip for 478 bits and pieces
        Over last few months have built up about six fully working towers, mostly Gig, Asus and MSI as well
        I get frustrated at the "Fan spinning, no post' syndrome so hope to find some answers here
        Eyes still just good enough for soldering if I wear double glazing

Oh... I swap the PC's to friends for beer

939 DualCore AMD Opteron, 1800 MHz (9 x 200)
        Abit AN8 / Fatal1ty AN8 SLI Series
        3072 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
        ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series (1024 MB
        Lian LI Aluminium mesh case

Comment

Hello is about all i got atm,, being as its late,, love the board great info sorry up front the the admins. for my mis placed post,,

Comment

^
            it's all good, I moved your thread to the General Electronics section. Welcome to the site.
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
            http://folding.stanford.edu/
            Team : 49813
            Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

Hi, I'm Sean M. from Florida. I like to work on my own computers and electronics.

Comment

hi, Im a new member here, i already browsing this very informative site, before i was not yet a member

Comment

I'm not much on posting ...

I'm an older person (60 or so) living in Tampa FL.

I've always been interested in science and math. Self-taught through mail-order schools and Heathkit Educational series. First computer was an H-8 with an H-9 terminal. That's when I found out first hand why many people referred to Heathkits as Griefkits. The H-8 and H-9 had serious implementation problems. (cheap connectors and bad bus system -- Heathkit seemed to be very afraid to use gold).

Anyway, moved on to Vic20, TI-99, Apple II, +, e, gs, and then my first DOS machine a 486DX-66. Currently using HP "value" computers from Tiger direct in a small network environment, running Win XP Pro (32 bit).

I usually fix my own stuff and it works pretty good. When I try to fix other peoples stuff ... it almost always ends up costing me money ... that's why I try not to work on friends and relatives electronics.

Anyway ... eventually got a job at the telephone company and stayed for 30 years, retired and now my wife and I stay at home and babysit the grandkids a few days a week.

I bought two Samsung 931B's at Best Buy and sure-enough ... they both died shortly after their 3rd birthday. Why do manufactures cut corners like that? Does anyone build quality stuff today? .... sorry I tend to ramble ....

Anyway I'm glad I found this forum. I got some good advice and I am going to fix both of the 931B's and get another 3 yrs out of them!

Thanks to all for your help and may God bless you.

Comment

Hi.
                    I'm a longtime IT person who has used computers since 1979, a tech (and radio operator, amateur and commercial). Mainly a Microsoft guy certified in Small Business Server and Windows Internals. I've had four machines die to caps, details to follow in the pictures thread. (sadly, the last failure just three weeks ago. )

Comment

hello, i'm from Port St Lucie, FL. Right Now I'm working on my iMac G5 power supply apple part number 614-029, one 1000uf 10 v cap going bad. I do not have any technical training in electronics, but i have fix successfully a lot of then and got shock a couple of times ... maybe now i have "experience", and i think i am a good Google finder. now on to see what wrong with this Power supply... thanks.

Comment

Hello guys. I registered to this forum because of some mishaps related to SMPSs in computer and commercial equipment.
                        I am a retired telecom engineer with an interest in R&D, and now to keep things still working.
                        My place is Madrid, Spain.

Comment

Welcome! I know you will find what you are looking for in this forum. You will find that we have a good time while we are at it.
                          "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                          Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                          John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                          Rod Serling

Comment

Hi, all!

I found this site while researching a power up problem with a Samsung LN-S4041D LCDTV which I bought used from a friend.

Even though other sites describe the problem and helpfully show what to look for and how to fix it, this place is the most technical of all the ones I've looked at. And I also ordered my replacement caps from here and received them today!

I'll probably wait until Monday to replace the caps at work, though, as work has the soldering stations etc. to do the work more easily than at home.

Background: I learned electronics in the USMC about 20 years or so ago and have been working in the field ever since. I'm kinda spoiled, though, since I've always had schematics, procedures, and test equipment available to work on whatever I've needed to work on over the years. My track record working on consumer equipment is not very good.

I've worked on two-way radio (and radio was my background in the Marines), laser scanners and DSPs, semiconductor automated test equipment, and now infrared cameras.

I've never really had to deal with swollen electrolytic caps or PC motherboards or power supplies though. I've learned quite a bit just by lurking here over the past week or so.

When I opened this TV and pulled the power supply board the swollen caps were readily apparent and I plan on replacing them and the couple other caps of the same value which were not swollen. I've read on the intarwebs that the problem is that the caps were marked 10V but weren't, but I ordered 16V caps just to be safe.

When I actually do the work I'll be sure and get some pics and post them in the appropriate thread.

Comment

Hi,
                              Just joined, haven't had a chance to look round yet, so will report back later.
                              Dylan

Comment

Welcome to the wonderful world of bad caps! Uncle Topcat will be along to leed you to your very own Pinball Machine... "The Who...Tommy"
                                Welcome!
                                This is a great forum. You will like it here. I'm the "Village Idiot" on this forum as you will find out in due time.
                                "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                                Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                                John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                                Rod Serling

Comment

Hi everyone! I'm from NJ and found your site while searching for help with my Gateway FDP1975W. I've been reading alot in the forums but would like to see the pics posted in the hopes they will help me. I'm still in the early stages (having a problem getting to the board) but will search and read all I can before posting. Have a great day everyone!

Comment

Hello; I'm Tator Tot, I reign from Missouri. Not a bad state (atleast in the St Louis area.)

Either way; I registered so I could grab some info, look up a few things. Ect. I found a guide or two to be useful so it was definitely worth signing up.

Comment

Hello,

My I'm robotman2009. I joined this forum because I've always been interested in this stuff. But I am a teacher too. About once a year, my wife's job discards an old SX280 along with its monitor to use in my classroom. So far, I've received two broken SX280s and two dell monitors. One monitor worked...one didn't...I know why on the latter. Both sx280s have ghosts in them.

I have already learned a good bit from reading some of the posts. I look foward to learning more and helping out whenever possible.

Comment

Hi all from Geelong Australia.

I've always been interested in electronics and have come across the badcaps forum on a number of occassions during frequent searches for information, I don't have a technical background in electronics as even the newest of members here appear to bem but am a quick learner.

I joined badcaps because I've decided to attempt to fix a plasma tv, I may be out of my league but I will certainly have fun learning.

cheers

Comment

hello i am jers i am from the u.k . i have worked within the computers industry for many years , I am now looking at to repair mainboards myself What a great forum this is i have learned a great deal over the last couple of days reading some of the archive posts

Comment

Working...
                                          X