Repair LCD display contact rubber!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repair LCD display contact rubber!

I try to repair the LCD display contact rubber, any suggestions?
    Attached Files

Re: Repair LCD display contact rubber!

It's called Zebra Strip, I would try cleaning the pc board contacts first then give the strip a wipe with alcohol. its more likely a problem with uneven preasure caused by the zebra strip being compressed and it has shrunk slightly over time. you can buy new zebra strip.
    Last edited by R_J; 02-19-2019, 10:22 AM.

Comment

I have already cleaned it, but the result is still the same then I brushed with solder paste still the same maybe I need to heat it up or try COF bouncing type.

Comment

I soak zebra strips in hot water and stretch them a little bit by hand.
        This seems to make them bigger, like they were before the LCD compressed them.

Comment

Thank you I will try that.

Comment

Putting solder paste on the zebra strip is bad. Just think, would you put solder paste on the pads in a remote control and expect it to work?

Comment

How about the conductive silver pen or Silver Conductive Wire Glue Paste?

I am thinking about the permanent repair method is to use COF bonding tape, flex TAB bounds right to screen as led tv did.

I have an impulse buying the COF bounding machine just to see if my theory is correct?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by capwizard; 02-19-2019, 02:37 PM.

Comment

They are made of alternating (zebra stripe) layers of silicone rubber. The conductive black stripes are carbon-filled silicone rubber. The support portion is usually (pink) sponge rubber or (greyish translucent) solid rubber.

I think they fail because the carbon-stripe part shrinks after being squished for years. It's supposed to stick out past the support rubber part, to touch the LCD/PC board.

Comment

I am thinking the correct way is to measure zebra strips (carbon-filled silicone rubber) and LCD contact pads (Indium tin oxide (ITO)) their resistance.

----------------------------------------------------------
                  https://www.fujipoly.com/usa/resourc...onnectors.html

For Carbon ZEBRA®s RESISTANCE -To calculate the resistance of ZEBRA® connectors, choose one of the following formulas:

Inches:

R = 2.37 x H = ohms
                  Ew x W
                  Where:
                  Ew = Electrode pad width (in)
                  W = Connector width (in)
                  H = Connector height (in)

Metric:

R = 60 x H = ohms
                  Ew x W

Where:
                  Ew = Electrode pad width (cm)
                  W = Connector width (cm)
                  H = Connector height (cm)
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Indium tin oxide (ITO)
                  ITO is often used to make transparent conductive coating for displays such as liquid crystal displays, flat panel displays, plasma displays, touch panels, and electronic ink applications. Thin films of ITO are also used in organic light-emitting diodes (OLED), solar cells, antistatic coatings and EMI shieldings. In organic light-emitting diodes, ITO is used as the anode (hole injection layer).
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by capwizard; 02-19-2019, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X