JVC VCRs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JVC VCRs

Searching here the only similar thread I found is over 7 years old, hence starting this new thread.

I have 2 non-working JVR VCRs I bought new last century, HR-VP638U the older, HR-S7500U the newer. The older will turn on, but rejects tapes. It's PS section appears to be highly similar to that of the other thread, even though the shield blocks as much view as it does. Mine has no apparent evidence of excess heat. The newer is vaguely similar, but with no heat shield, big 68k resistor I see no correspondence to in the other two machines, and evidence of overheating in the darkened color of the board. I tried to get a picture that shows it better, but in all attempts either the flash burned it away, or reflections and shadows masked it.

The newer turns on, but immediately goes into auto search mode for several minutes every time, after which it shuts off. This seems to be the third most common problem described in a SMPS FAQ I read, where it says caps are highly likely the problem. The heat evidence in the area logically makes me agree, particularly since the 150uf 200v Samsung SSL is only 85° rated, but also knowing how cheap the manufacturers of VCRs had gotten by the time it was made in 1999, and my usage, leaving it on always (except when a timer recording turned it off while I wasn't around to notice) for the 44 months it did work.

Before I tear into it, I'd like to know what that Panasonic K2324 chip with the heat sink is. My brother told me silicon controlled rectifier, but I've been unable to confirm that via picture anywhere. Searching the numbers on the part was nothing but abject failure. Searching his description on Digi-Key produces too many parts without pictures to be useful, as all Google hits. Can someone here confirm, or tell me what it is, and how to convert its numbers into a replacement part number? Even if it is a SCR, wouldn't that be a part that only has two states, working, or not working? IOW, is there any point in changing it while doing cap replacement, since I have to order whatever caps it needs anyway?

Do those LXV caps appear to be PS section as well, 820uf 16v & 1200uf 10v? Next biggest near them are 220uf 16v and 220uf 10v. Elsewhere the biggest are 2200uf 6.3v and (2) 470uf 16v. Nothing else is bigger than 6.3mm by 11mm. Which should I actually exercise my new ESR meter on?

BTW, the reason I want to fix this is I made hundreds of tapes with it from which I want to make DVDs, and they mostly play poorly on every VCR I've since tried playing them on, having recorded using its proprietary extended audio mode.

BTW2, my first ESR meter and rework station are due here tomorrow.

BTW3, a local electronics repair shop I frequented at the time it broke 11 years ago, one of only two I ever got recommendations for, wanted to charge $255+tax to replace its mainboard instead of figuring out what actually went wrong with it and try to fix it.

Thanks for reading.
    Attached Files

Re: JVC VCRs

The K2324 device is a 2SK2324 MOSFET with the following characteristics:
    Maximum Drain-Source Voltage: 600V
    Maximum Gate-Source Voltage: 30V
    Maximum Drain Current (continuous): 2A
    Maximum Drain Current (peak): 4A
    Maximum Dissipation: 40W
    Drain-Source ON Resistance: 4.9 ohms typical @ 10V between Gate-Source
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Check the tape carriage it may not be closing some of the leak switches to get the head rotating to pull the tape on the head.

Comment

These power supplies rarely gave problems, unless the main fet shorted and were completely dead. check the secondary voltages and make sure they are what they should be (should be marked on the board somewhere), Check that the loading belts are not slipping (causing the loading to time out and eject the tape), check and possibly clean the mode switch (tells the electronics what the mechanism is doing and what part of the loading sequence it is in)
        Give a picture of the mechanism (upper and lower) it may bring some long lost memories.

Comment

R J, I only mentioned the older machine to relate power supply design to the other thread. On the newer, the only one I care about fixing, I found no evidence of belt slippage. Neither could I find any mention in stenciling what secondary voltages should be. Figuring how to check voltages is another problem, given the extremely limited access to the bottom in an assembled state, and it's video-output-free, insistence on going into auto-clock mode on every attempt to power it up. I can use channel up/down if I hit it fast enough after the power button, but it still switches to auto-clock too fast to see anything show up on the TV screen.

Looking at the bottom of the main board it's more clearly evident where the heating I originally wrote of is, but another hot spot is bottom side only on board edge from sections C through I.

The board's real complexity was masked by its installed position, busier side down, with limited access without disassembling. I don't hope to fix this if it's anything outside the PS section, as is suggested by the correlation between shutdown behavior and previously mentioned FAQ, the 44 month virtually always powered up state, and the elevated temps evidence. Even if I do replace a few caps and/or semiconductors, it's not clear to me whether I'll be able to get it all back together correctly. I broke a fragile tab off the plastic transport retainer whose secondary function, if any, escapes my understanding. I epoxied it back together, but maybe it doesn't even matter. The epoxy bubble is detectable at extreme lower left of the 792px tall image of the top side of the tape transport chassis (top row, 2nd of 7 images total).

Andrew F. Ali, that's not the machine I care about, but that kind of fault is something I would have expected the shop I took it to to have dealt with. It told me repair too expensive to justify cost to repair instead of replace.

japlytic, thank you.

Comment

You could cheat and buy a good used VCR from the thrift store for $10.

Comment

ron350, did you read all my OP? I could probably buy a dozen of them for $5 or $10 each, but odds are they would all fail to do any better than the working, newer SQPB JVC HR-XVC26U I have now. To elaborate on the OP, the tapes the 7500 made that play back poorly were made in Super VHS ET mode. Here are excerpts from its manual:

'Your VCR is equipped with Super VHS ET that makes it possible to record with S-VHS picture quality on VHS cassettes....You can play back those cassettes recorded in S-VHS ET on a VCR equipped with S-VHS ET....*It is recommended to specifically label S-VHS ET recordings so you can easily distinguish them from regular VHS recordings.'

Obvious from the language one should not expect proper playback except on a VCR equipped with the same feature. I've not personally seen such feature on any working VCR new or used in over a decade. Judging from my experience with JVC VCRs made in the decade or so straddling the turn of the century, I wouldn't expect to find a working used one in any thrift store without making several trips per week to such places for an exceptionally long time. Google shopping does find the feature, but only on used machines. eBay has some, but all are either manufactured by JVC, or expensive, or both, so I'd rather exhaust reasonable efforts to get this one going before gambling some other VCR might do better than the one I have.

Comment

Why not post some pictures of the HR-S7500U like RJ suggested?

As far as taking it apart and putting it back together, just take lots of pictures.

Comment

I went through the upload process for 7 pictures before starting to write thread post #5, and in that post referred specifically to one of them by viewport position. Where those first 7 pix actually went I don't know, but I didn't notice they escaped until I read #8. This site frustrates the attach process the way it thinks it has any need or right to open new windows in my tabbed (preferred) browser, which I set to force opening new windows in same tab to keep the fwd/back path unbroken. Apparently I have to change settings or use a non-preferred browser for the process here to succeed.

Getting it back together isn't so much about where things go as it is how to get them there. Tearing or bending the ends of fragile ribbons that have to be reattached either in some certain order or using the fingers of a 6 year old or odd shaped demi clamps to fit them where they must go would defeat the whole process.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Good pictures glad you were able to get them to load.

Now RJ and the other experts have something to work with.

Mrmazda was the cassette tray in that position before you took the VCR apart?
                    I am probably wrong but it looks like the cassette tray is in the loaded – down position.

Comment

Originally posted by ron350 View Post
                      was the cassette tray in that position before you took the VCR apart?
                      I am probably wrong but it looks like the cassette tray is in the loaded – down position.
                      AFAICT, I had to move it almost halfway to where it is to get at two screws holding it to the chassis, and figured until reassembling better to leave it all the way loaded than someplace hanging in between loaded and unloaded.

Comment

Ok where did every one go, if I stepped on any ones toes I apologize?

Mrmazda how did the HR-S7500U originally stop working?

Comment

Just wait... not everyone is on their computers 24/7
                          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                          -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by ron350 View Post
                            how did the HR-S7500U originally stop working?
                            Same 129 months ago as just before I took it apart for this thread's pictures: try to turn it on, and it switches "off" -> into auto-clock mode (according to front panel display) that lasts upwards of 10 minutes. It won't stay "on" long enough to open any menu, or put anything at all on a TV screen either via line out or RF.

Comment

I tried my new MCM capacitance meter on the physically largest caps:

Code:
                              location stencilUF stencilV C measuredUF ESROhm UF% commMinus
                              c68     470   6.3  85  528    .28 112%
                              c3004   2200   6.3  85 2332    .04 106%
                              c3037    470   6.3  85  528    .28 112%
                              c5006    150   200  85  146    .08 97.3%
                              c5202    820   16   105 1098    .08 133%  Y
                              c5203    220   16   85 1112    .42 505% X
                              c5203retest 220   16   85 1086    .44 494% X
                              c5204   1200   10   105 1568    .09 131%  Y
                              c5205    220   10   85 1582    2.2 719% X
                              c5205retest 220   10   85 1581    2.2 719% X
                              c5301    220   6.3  105 (incircuit/leaky)
                              c5302retest 100   16   85 (incircuit/leaky)
                              c5302retest 100   16   85 1086    .44 1086% X
                              Not once did it say it was discharging before analyzing. As this hadn't been powered up in over a week, nothing in its manual or what I remember from reading through the FAQ and other posts here really prepared me for the big UF numbers reported on caps of diverse ratings. So, I completely removed virtually all from the PS sections, and got these results:

Code:
                              location stencilUF stencilV C measuredUF ESROhm UF% remarks
                              c5006    150   200  85 146.2   .08 97.5% SSL H[1,I] Samsung
                              c5201    220   6.3  105 232.5   .57 106% LXV 89/Y3
                              c5202    820   16   105 879.2   .06 107% LXV P6
                              c5203    220   16   85 170.2   .50 77.4% SSL hh S
                              c5204   1200   10   105 1252    .07 104% LXV 8(2) 9k
                              c5205    220   10   85 incircuit/leaky 1.84ohm SSL hg S
                              c5208    10   50   85 8.72    4.4 87.2% SSL hg S
                              c5301    220   6.3  105 218.8   2.0 99.4% LXV 89/Y3
                              c5302    10   50   85 8.2    >20 82.0% SSL hg S
                              c5303    100   16   85 22.82   9.0 22.8% SSL hi S
                              All the 85s were SSL green in color. But, alongside ic5301, c5302 and c5303 were darker, as if burned. Looking closer, it was apparent c5205 was slightly darker too. I looked to see what I had in stock, and replaced as follows:

Code:
                              location stencilUF stencilV C original new
                              c5203    220   16   85 SSL hh S Nichicon PW (105)
                              c5205    220   10   85 SSL hg S Nichicon PW (105)
                              c5208    10   50   85 SSL hg S Nichicon PW (105)
                              c5302    10   50   85 SSL hg S Nichicon PW (105)
                              c5303    100   16   85 SSL hi S Mallory SEK 100uf 35v (105)
                              An apparent source of heat, ic5301, was leaning toward the row of caps, so I leaned it opposite about as much, then reassembled all except the main cover and plugged it in. Nada, except maybe the TBC/NR and/or RecLink diodes may have flashed briefly. So I started bumping the ribbons trying to be sure I found and got all connected, and the one coming from the jog/shuttle on the front panel broke away. That's actually not much of a surprise, as I had had the front off several times for tape extraction, and the machine had been in the shop multiple times before becoming useless. Now since the complete breakage, it wouldn't surprise me if this ribbon already had one or more broken connectors already, and was the actual problem causing the shutdowns.

Anyone have a recommendation for shopping for 7 conductor AWM 2896 80C AW-1 ribbon cable 10mm wide? Digi-Key & Mouser seem to be the wrong places to look. eBay looks like a possibility, but so far, 7 conductor seems to be a strikeout.
                              Attached Files

Comment

You could get one with more than 7 conductors and just cut the extra ones off with a straight edge and sharp blade
                                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                                  You could get one with more than 7 conductors and just cut the extra ones off with a straight edge and sharp blade
                                  I'm hoping if that becomes necessary I can find a seller who will do it. After successfully removing the blue tab from the broken conductors, before my previous post here, I tried trimming the plastic off the conductors on this cable, thinking to reuse the glue on the old tab to stick onto a fresh-trimmed end. That is tough stuff. I'd be afraid of slippage and severed conductor(s).
                                  Last edited by mrmazda; 09-20-2014, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Any progress on the JVC?

Comment

I had high hopes. Disembowling a Hitachi VCR for spare parts a few days ago I found a long enough 11 conductor ribbon cable with matching 1mm spacing. I cut it to width with scissors only to realize it was unlikely to be an obstacle, going only from jog-shuttle to mainboard. I installed it, but still it only lights the front NR light briefly when plugging it in, then nothing. Also I noticed the ribbon from the head assembly to mainboard has a torn edge. My eyes can't focus well enough on something that tiny even with 2.5 diopter glasses plus 4X magnifier to tell if the rip goes all the way through the first conductor. So I guess this has become another dead project.

Comment

Well you gave it a good try.

May be you can find a working S vcr some where.

Comment

Working...
                                        X