Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HannStar Monitor

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
    5) If you think your multimeter is not working when reading resistance, do a real simple test. Put your multimeter on 200 ohms and touch your probes together. It should read less than 1.0 ohms. Any reading above 1.0 ohms when your probes are touching suggests a bad/weak battery or your test leads are worn (wires inside are fraying).
    One other question regarding using a multimeter correctly, does one hold the probes until the numbers stop counting "like I have doing" or is it the first numbers on the screen that give the correct reading, just to be certain before I shelve this project.

Comment

Originally posted by rigeback View Post
      One other question regarding using a multimeter correctly, does one hold the probes until the numbers stop counting "like I have doing" or is it the first numbers on the screen that give the correct reading, just to be certain before I shelve this project.
      A good multimeter will accurately display the unit of measurement quickly without any "overshoot" or "undershoot". That is, if the correct voltage is 3.3V DC, a good multimeter will show 0.0V (because you the probes are not in place yet) and then 3.3V quickly.

A poor one will display 4.1 (overshoot), 2.9 (undershoot), and then settle on 3.3V DC.

Some components when being measured will react or be influenced by the multimeter so the readings will take a few seconds to stabilze.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I got to admit my last question was a bit dumb, excuse me.
        I went over an area today that I have been neglecting which is in fact should be the area of interest is probably the most important, directly above the dark lines in the screen during start up, the of the t-con near the side. I have been testing too much in the Max1997 area which is probably okay.
        I also went back and reread what Momaka had said: "With that said, my original question was, do any of the above capacitors show a very low resistance across? And by very low, I mean less than 30 Ohms".
        Well infact I did find a few caps that are measuring 1.2 Ohms and 0.6 Ohms today testing with the 200 setting.
        I will change these out and try powering up again!
        Many thanks for the precise imformation.

Comment

So I remeved C254 cap with the 1.2 Ohms and this cap seems fine, again when I probe the contact points on the board of cap I get the same low reading, is it the source of this area that is faulty or all the cap in the area?

Comment

So I remeved C254 cap with the 1.2 Ohms and this cap seems fine, again when I probe the contact points on the board of cap I get the same low reading, is it the source of this area that is faulty or all the cap in the area?
            It could be any component that is connected to these two points. I've attached a couple of pictures as an illustration. The first is the capacitor network on the 3.3V power rail of the signal (logic) card in an Acer monitor. Note that a low resistance measurement across a capacitor shown could be caused by ANY capacitor shown. The second picture shows the traces connecting all of the mounting points - this happens to be part of the power supply from a Viewsonic monitor. Note that while some traces are short, others wander over a wide area.

PlainBill
            Attached Files
            For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Well I've found more than 10 caps that are giving this 00.8 & 12.2 Ohms reading which seems to start at the VCOM VCOM_1 area, in the MAX1997 area only 2 caps are reporting the same measurement C515 and C513 which were already removed and tested OK.
              Surely it would be impossible that all these caps are bad and the main cause is the MAX1997????

Comment

Well I've found more than 10 caps that are giving this 00.8 & 12.2 Ohms reading which seems to start at the VCOM VCOM_1 area, in the MAX1997 area only 2 caps are reporting the same measurement C515 and C513 which were already removed and tested OK.
                Surely it would be impossible that all these caps are bad and the main cause is the MAX1997????
                Probably only one cap is bad. If they are decoupling caps they are in parallel, just like the first picture. And yes, it is possible the problem is the MAX1997.

PlainBill
                For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Yes I am sure there is a short in the MAX 1997 between DRVP (Pin 22) FBP (Pin 21) and FB (Pin 20) it seems the solder is connecting possibly due to my probing, I tried cleanning the spaces between the joints but still have contenuity, or are these pins connected together externally??
                  The bad caps in one case are in sequence C268 through C270

Comment

Yes I am sure there is a short in the MAX 1997 between DRVP (Pin 22) FBP (Pin 21) and FB (Pin 20) it seems the solder is connecting possibly due to my probing, I tried cleanning the spaces between the joints but still have contenuity, or are these pins connected together externally??
                    The bad caps in one case are in sequence C268 through C270
                    A short between pins 20, 21, and 22 could be an internal short of the MAX1997.

PlainBill

Comment

It gets worse, today I wanted remove the screen from its housing and while doing so one of the caps fell behind the ribbon connectors, as I lifted out the screen 2 of the ribbon connectors came off!
                      I'm not sure how well they were attached to t-con board in the first place but they sure came off easy and makes me think because these 2 connectors are also the ones with lines during start up.
                      Next question, how are these ribbons connected to the t-con board, maybe with glue or solder?????

Comment

It gets worse, today I wanted remove the screen from its housing and while doing so one of the caps fell behind the ribbon connectors, as I lifted out the screen 2 of the ribbon connectors came off!
                        I'm not sure how well they were attached to t-con board in the first place but they sure came off easy and makes me think because these 2 connectors are also the ones with lines during start up.
                        Next question, how are these ribbons connected to the t-con board, maybe with glue or solder?????
                        It's a special adhesive. At this point the LCD panel and TCON are useless - or perhaps I should say nobody has reported successfully repairing a failure of the bond on these cables.

PlainBill

Comment

Working...
                        X