Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell Dimension 1100? ...or is it? The Ultimate Sleeper System

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
    Got an old pre-2000 emachines case? As in the freebie with ad-filled internet ones? That would be one hell of sleeper... if you can make it fit.

Or one of the late 90's (windows ME era)
    Windows ME was RTM'ed in 2000, which is pretty much a Windows 98 SE SP1, LOL. But ironically, noticeable differences, besides error page text being changed, were detected.
    Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 01-03-2018, 07:29 PM.
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Alrighty, this system is back in business...bad ram removed, and now a spare board. This post from it running Win7. I tried installing S2K12 R2, but the first time the trusty loader didn't activate an OS. 3 installs, never would activate. No clue why not. Ohh well. I have a few more changes in store for this system coming in the mail.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Well, good to hear everything is working again and there is nothing wrong with the board.

By the way, I have four of five 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 sticks of reg+ECC RAM that are sitting unused. They are untested, as I got them in a package with other sticks of RAM. Being reg+ECC, I couldn't test them in any of my computers. So if you need DDR2 reg+ECC RAM, let me know (though it looks like it's pretty easy to get cheap DDR2 RAM from anywhere these days).

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
          Well, good to hear everything is working again and there is nothing wrong with the board.

By the way, I have four of five 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 sticks of reg+ECC RAM that are sitting unused. They are untested, as I got them in a package with other sticks of RAM. Being reg+ECC, I couldn't test them in any of my computers. So if you need DDR2 reg+ECC RAM, let me know (though it looks like it's pretty easy to get cheap DDR2 RAM from anywhere these days).
          Yea, I'd take those if you have no use for them. I have a couple boards that could use those. I'd be happy to cover the shipping.

I also will note to that I ordered another 32gb of PC2-5300P (Samsung this time) for $22.00 shipped (boy this stuff is getting cheap), and there's been no further issues...

Just a couple pics.... The controller came today....the GPU's should be here Monday.

The replacement board:

The previous board which was thought to be bad.......but isn't. I'll store it for a build later on. These are quite unusual boards, mATX with dual CPU sockets....I've never seen this on any other board.

Attached Files
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Just a little note for the original board (now the spare)....I was rummaging through IO shields looking for one for something else, and came across one that will fit this board, which did not come with one.

I'll have to do a little Ratduding with a dremel around the USB block next to the KB/mouse ports to expand it for 4 ports versus 2....and the NIC ports to be able to use the second one.... Thats easy peasy.

I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for another mATX case with the floor clearance for one of these kooky little boards.
            Attached Files
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

....and a perfectly ratduded IO shield!!

Attached Files
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

Nice.
                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Nice.
                  Ohh and BTW, thanks for those heatsinks, those are the ones you gave me. Some simple green & hot water, they cleaned up like new!
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                    Yea, I'd take those if you have no use for them. I have a couple boards that could use those. I'd be happy to cover the shipping.
                    Okay, I'll dig them out when I get back home from visiting relatives. They are Nanya-branded, IIRC (i.e. good OEM, not some no-name junk).

I also will note to that I ordered another 32gb of PC2-5300P (Samsung this time) for $22.00 shipped (boy this stuff is getting cheap)
                    Yeah, DDR2 RAM is getting really cheap these days, especially registered. Too bad there isn't a way to easily convert registered ECC RAM to unbuffered unregistered. I have quite a few DDR2 boards that need DDR2 RAM right now, due to my last big PC score.

The previous board which was thought to be bad.......but isn't. I'll store it for a build later on. These are quite unusual boards, mATX with dual CPU sockets....I've never seen this on any other board.
                    Indeed rare.

The only quirky mATX board that I have is an eVGA socket 939 (AMD) with SLI support. Built by Jetway and also features a through-hole CPU socket (rather than BGA).

Ohh and BTW, thanks for those heatsinks, those are the ones you gave me. Some simple green & hot water, they cleaned up like new!
                    Yeah, I was just going to make a note on that.... nice heatasinks!

I always wash dusty heatsinks now - helps bring down the temperature a few degrees and they don't get dusty as quickly. I use just regular dish detergent and a long-bristled brush. Makes the heatsinks looks like brand new.
                    Last edited by momaka; 01-08-2018, 04:08 AM.

Comment

This one is finally done and problem-free. GPU added and LSI RAID controller. It runs surpringly cool for as cramped as the case is....but it breathes well.

Some benchmarks:

The disk benchmark is 2x 160gb velociraptors in a raid0 on a LSI 9650 w/bbu & batt, write caching enabled.

Overall, its a good sleeper that was fun to build.... It gave my troubleshooting abilities a workout.....but got 'er done!! I'll have anotehr one of these some day when I find another mATX case that can hold this weird mTAX board....its certainly no fun putting one in a full ATX, anyone can do that. Gotta swim against the stream!!
                      Attached Files
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

A couple config changes that yielded some performance gains. I removed the LSI 9650 and replaced it with a LSI SAS3081E-R, which is a very basic SAS RAID controller, these can be had all day long for about 10 bucks shipped from ebay. I swapped out the drives with a pair of 2.5" 15k RPM SAS HDD's in a raid0, the results were pretty good.....a writeup is coming soon....but here's the comparison results:

Attached Files
                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                        Team Stats

Comment

Nice. Too bad 15K SAS's run hotter than hell... otherwise I'd use them more. As it is, only two of my systems are cooled well enough in the HDDs to do it (well, three, but the third is an X5DAL which is PCI-X only) .
                          sigpic

Comment

Nice. Too bad 15K SAS's run hotter than hell... otherwise I'd use them more. As it is, only two of my systems are cooled well enough in the HDDs to do it (well, three, but the third is an X5DAL which is PCI-X only) .
                            These are 2.5" 15k's in the WD Ice Trays that come with 2.5" velociraptors. They run very cool actually.
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

Sorry for the fake hype TC! Turns out those 2 GB memory sticks are actually regular desktop affair, but just dodgy. When I tested them at the time, I couldn't get any to work on several of my motherboards, so I Googled their chips and that led to some Amazon store identifying them (incorrectly) as ECC/Reg. I assumed that info was correct until I tested another of those sticks in a Dell Dimension E520 last week, and the machine actually booted fine and showed me the memory wasn't ECC/REG. After numerous more attempts, I got the other sticks to work too on that PC.

So looks like I just have some dodgy DDR2 RAM on hand. .... or perhaps they just need 1.9V instead of 1.8??? Either way, I am surprised, as they are Nanya brand, and Nanya is a fairly big OEM (not as big as Hynix, Samsung, and Micron, but still up there).

Originally posted by Topcat
                              I'll have anotehr one of these some day when I find another mATX case that can hold this weird mTAX board....
                              Hmmm... I'll have a look at what I have. Maybe I can find you something on that front to make up for the fake server RAM hype.

I'm almost done cleaning those scrap PCs I picked up in December. Most are mATX cases from HP and Dell OEMs, but more recent ones (nice memory card readers and lots of front USB ).
                              Last edited by momaka; 01-28-2018, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                Hmmm... I'll have a look at what I have. Maybe I can find you something on that front to make up for the fake server RAM hype.

I'm almost done cleaning those scrap PCs I picked up in December. Most are mATX cases from HP and Dell OEMs, but more recent ones (nice memory card readers and lots of front USB ).
                                No worries on the RAM....but definitely keep your eyes peeled for cases....I'm always on the lookout for unusual or otherwise good usable cases, but another set of eyes never hurt either!
                                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                Team Stats

Comment

Got an old pre-2000 emachines case? As in the freebie with ad-filled internet ones? That would be one hell of sleeper... if you can make it fit.

Or one of the late 90's (windows ME era) compaq presario cases... I still have the CRT and Full-ATX tower (with oddball FIC S370 Coppermine board) of that style (maybe that's a project for me? I may even have the keyboard and speakers to it somewhere???), and from a quick look, the microATX ones are quite roomy (you'd have enough clearance in the bottom; I used to have a couple). Only kicker is that the USB header is an odd pinout (run it straight and you'll possibly fry an aftermarket board, don't ask me how I know that). See picture for what I mean. At least for me they were a unique (and cool) design; Kinda like the first generation iMacs and iBooks, only not made by apple.
                                  IIRC the one in your picture uses a standard uATX case layout. Maybe the front panel is proprietary but the rest will fit without a doubt.

I'd actually wonder if someone ever crammed a LGA775 or a AM2/AM3 system in such a case.

Alrighty, this system is back in business...bad ram removed, and now a spare board. This post from it running Win7. I tried installing S2K12 R2, but the first time the trusty loader didn't activate an OS. 3 installs, never would activate. No clue why not. Ohh well. I have a few more changes in store for this system coming in the mail.
                                  If the loader in case is the one by Daz, I think that one requires a workstation os (Windows 7) hence why it wouldn't work.

Speaking of which, I seriously laughed at a school where ALL machines with Windows 7 are activated using KMSpico. Srsly, is a Windows 7 license THAT expensive that all PCs had to be activated using KMSpico?
                                  Last edited by Dan81; 02-02-2018, 11:30 AM.
                                  Main rig:
                                  Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                  Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                  Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                                  16GB DDR3-1600
                                  Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                  FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                                  120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                                  Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                                    If the loader in case is the one by Daz, I think that one requires a workstation os (Windows 7) hence why it wouldn't work.
                                    The most recent one will work on S2K12, I've used it on a few systems with it. It just wouldn't activate this particular board for some unknown reason.
                                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                                      IIRC the one in your picture uses a standard uATX case layout. Maybe the front panel is proprietary but the rest will fit without a doubt.
                                      They made them in both uATX and full ATX.
                                      sigpic

Comment

No worries on the RAM....but definitely keep your eyes peeled for cases....I'm always on the lookout for unusual or otherwise good usable cases, but another set of eyes never hurt either!
                                        I may have a few good unusual cases you might be interested in let me break them out from storage and let you know what I have.

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
                                          I may have a few good unusual cases you might be interested in let me break them out from storage and let you know what I have.
                                          Cool, let me know what you dig out....here's where the last one finally went:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...94&postcount=1
                                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                          Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                                          X