Westinghouse TX42F430S 42" 1080p LCD TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Westinghouse TX42F430S 42" 1080p LCD TV

I'm affraid I got myself into a bit of a snag here, getting a little cockey and thinking I could repair anything. oops!

I went out and bought a non-working Westinghouse 42" LCD TV (Model TX42F430S) the other day for $90 in hopes of repairing it and having a nice big TV to watch. Then I started reading about the apparent problem it has and got sick to my stomach.

This is a very complex computerized TV. First of all, when you plug it in it automatically goes into "Standby" mode. It powers up and draws upwards of 25W of contunuous power when it's "off". This is so that when you turn it "on", it comes on immediately, with absolutely no delay. Just BAM - ON.

Here's what this one is doing: First, he power light will come on when you plug it in. Shortly thereafter, the screen will light and a big "W" Westinghouse logo sits in the middle of a black background in a nice bright, crispy white color.

Then, within <=5 seconds, the W dims a little bit... to a not quite as bright, crispy white color. This stays on for about 10 seconds, then the backlight goes off for about 10 seconds while the power light stays lit.

Then, the screen comes back on, the power light goes out and the W logo appears in an even more dimmed white color. You can then see some of the screen mesh texture on the white of the W. As it sits there, over a period of about 4 or 5 minutes the W slowly fades to black, becoming a ratty and textured gray color just before it goes away. The backlight stays fully lit and never goes out. You can turn the power off by pressing the power button, then turn it right back on again... but the W never comes back. You have to either unplug the TV or hold down the power button for a hard reset to get it to reboot. When it does, the power light comes back on and it acts the exact same way all over again.

No control buttons work other than the Power button. No video inputs seem affect it.

I have read on the Net about a "Power Save Mode" glitch that occured with these frequently, where if you one day decide to use this mode it will lock the TV into a continuous "sleep mode" where all you get is the W logo. That sounds like what's going on here. The big bummer is, the motherboard (yes, they call it that!) is about $170 and up, has been discontinued and is unavailable from any suppliers I've found (out of stock). And from what I've read, it sounds as though it may happen even with a replacement board.

What I'm wondering is, could this have anything to do with the capacitors on the motherboard? Perhaps they used some counterfeit Rubycon and other caps. And also, does anyone know if this thing is salvagable?

I've tried looking for a Firmare update, but Westinghouse is about the most illusive company on the face of the planet. Their website is continually "under maintenance", they NEVER answer their customer service phones even during normal business hours (they tell you that you've called after hours and to call back another day!!!???!!!) And their Downloads page 404s out with an empty link to a non-existent folder on their server. What a joke.

If anyone has any info on and/or experience with this brick, I'd appreciate some input! Thanks.

SK
    Last edited by stevekasian; 02-04-2011, 10:42 PM.

Re: Westinghouse TX42F430S 42" 1080p LCD TV

You should know the drill now about posting clear focused pictures with every new post.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by stevekasian View Post
      I went out and bought a non-working Westinghouse 42" LCD TV (Model TX42F430S) the other day for $90 in hopes of repairing it and having a nice big TV to watch.
      I don't know what prices are where you live, but I can get a new name brand 42 inch plasma like LG for about $400 CDN now that comes with a 2 year warranty (if bought from Costco or using the right credit card).
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I've tried looking for a Firmare update
        Page 197 and 198 at

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...51860&page=197
        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thakns for the links to the forum. I FINALLY, after about 5 hours of trying, got one of the firmwares to burn. My light now turns blue as it should, but the W logo still comes back on and fades very gradually, and no buttons work.

I was primarilly hoping to get some feedback form anyone who had experience with this issue. I already put the TV back together because the motherboard components (including many of the caps) are so small that I don't know if I'd ever be able to change them all out without ruining the board and/or other components on it. That's why I didn't post any photos.

I did find a replacement board on eBay for $63 (including shipping), so if I don't hear anything more back here soon I guess I'll order the thing and cross my fingers. Then if it works, maybe I'll swap out the caps on the old board just for shizzles and grins and see if it fixes the issue. If it does, I guess I will have found an unexplored & valuable remedy to a common problem with this particular unit. :-) Although others are reporting that the W goes straight to black after it comes on initially. Mine stays on and fades/deteriorates over the course of 5 minutes or so. So this issue does seem to be a bit unique in that regard.

Still though... any further input on the matter is still greatly appreciated! Thanks!
          SK

Comment

I hope that works for you. $63 is worth the try. Anytime you can save on buying a whole set, it's definitely worth it. Since this one has a history of failures, you might want to fix it, then sell it for 300. Then you can use that towards a better set maybe. Good luck.
            The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

Hi,

I had to take some time off as this was getting overwhelming.

Unfortunately, the new mainboard worked same as the old. Same exact thing keeps happening. No difference at all. Even tried flashing the new mainboard, but it was to be in vain.

I am completely stumped. Unless there is some logic on the mainboard that senses anything out of tolerance with the inverters and/or the display driver board, there's nothing left to replace! ARRGHH!!!

Does anyone know if it's possible to have a bad component on either the display driver board or the inverter board(s) and still have the TV come on and display just fine, but be out of whack just enough for the mainboard to sense an error and lock up the display like this?

Thanks,
              SK

Comment

You have to be careful buying these boards. I would junk the tv if I were you. I had a similar issue where I would get the power light to change but nothing at all on screen. Went through 3 boards and still same issue. I started thinking it was power supply until I got another unit, tried it and it worked in there. The main boards you get online are only as good as the description, if even that! None that I have found online say 100% working unit. These are all pulls from broken tv's and really are not tested!

Comment

Right, but the interesting thing is I have not found a single reference to this specific issue anywhere on the internet, so I have to believe that the chances of another motherboard having precisely the same issue as the original are extremely slim, at best.

Does anyone out there have any answers to my questions above?

Thanks,
                  SK

Comment

Right, but the interesting thing is I have not found a single reference to this specific issue anywhere on the internet, so I have to believe that the chances of another motherboard having precisely the same issue as the original are extremely slim, at best.

Does anyone out there have any answers to my questions above?

Thanks,
                    SK
                    What leads you to believe it's the mainboard and nothing else? Pictures please....and use "Manage Attachments" when doing so. Thanks.
                    Last edited by gorr35; 08-31-2011, 12:48 AM. Reason: Misworded.

Comment

Ummm... All I can say is you'll have to re-read the thread and then reply over again, as your question is irrelevant.

Thanks,
                      SK
                      Last edited by stevekasian; 08-31-2011, 02:43 AM.

Comment

Ummm... All I can say is you'll have to re-read the thread and then reply over again, as your question is irrelevant.

Thanks,
                        SK
                        Not sure why my question was irrelevant considering you brought up the Mainboard in all posts - #1, #5, #7, and #9. I was just curious as to what other components you have tested so far, that's all I meant.

Comment

Nothing has led me to believe it is the mainboard and nothing else. My last question was this:

Does anyone know if it's possible to have a bad component on either the display driver board or the inverter board(s) and still have the TV come on and display just fine, but be out of whack just enough for the mainboard to sense an error and lock up the display like this?

As I discussed at length, I've already replaced the mainboard and still have the same obscure problem, and I'm at a loss for what it could possibly be. The PSU is working properly. It's also been entirely re-capped.

Thanks,
                          SK

Comment

This is all I could find for you....maybe you've already seen it but i'll give it a shot.

http://www.fixya.com/support/t301820...tv_when_turned

If not that then I would suspect the Inverter Board.

Comment

Yeah, I've already seen that, thanks. I guess I'll try it... it just seems hokie to me - What ever gave this guy the idea to do that? lol I just don't wanna blow myself up.

Comment

I have recently started to get a lot of Westinghouse TV's recently. This problem is sounding like it may a Tconn board problem. If you search ebay with your set's model number, you'll find a board for 18.95 with free shipping. This is the best advice you can get without providing pictures of anything.
                                The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

So you think a bad Tconn might be making the mainboard react in such a way?

Just out of curiosity, could you enlighten me as to why you think this? Trying to learn here.

Tnx!
                                  SK

Comment

Hi Dgtech - just bumping this thread to get your attention. I was hoping you could enlighten me on your last. Thanks.

Comment

Pictures of the boards would really get you better and faster responses....you may feel that because there are no physical signs of failure that pictures shouldn't matter. The people who want to help you can get a better understanding as to what the layout of your TV is, as they are not all built the same. Just trying to help.

Comment

As requested:
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X