This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

It looks like it uses the simple two transistor 5vsb circuit. Replace all small value caps in the area and you should be fine. The key cap is typically a 50V, 47uf cap.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
      It's not two transistor forward, it looks like it has a little optocoupler down there
      Whoops, that's two transistor +5VSB circuit that I meant, not two transistor forward... but it's clearly a half bridge PSU. Unless there are the "critical" capacitors on the primary side of the flyback transformer, you might not have to worry about it.

Comment

Yeah I will replace the small caps Stupid question, why is it called 2 transistor circuit when there's only 1 transistor on the primary heatsink?

Comment

There's another TO-92 transistor after the optocoupler, which drives the one on the heatsink.
          Originally posted by PeteS in CA
          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
          A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I really like this power supply....I think it is overbuilt considering the label and I like that

Input has 3 X caps, 3 coils, 3 Y caps, 2 MOV's, GBU606 rectifier, 680uF Teapo caps
            Yup, good units. I have two of those from Acer OEMs with the Fortron label. I used one for six months in my rather power hungry rig without a single issue (Phenom II X4 965/M4A89GTD PRO USB3/4Gb/HD5770/SSD/HDD/Audigy/Live! Drive II).
            Caps need to be changed though, they not buldged or leaking but they're mostly Teapo and CapXon).

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
              There's another TO-92 transistor after the optocoupler, which drives the one on the heatsink.
              That little guy down there with no heatsink? Okay that makes more sense, thanks
              Originally posted by SuperDuty View Post
              Yup, good units. I have two of those from Acer OEMs with the Fortron label. I used one for six months in my rather power hungry rig without a single issue (Phenom II X4 965/M4A89GTD PRO USB3/4Gb/HD5770/SSD/HDD/Audigy/Live! Drive II).
              Caps need to be changed though, they not buldged or leaking but they're mostly Teapo and CapXon).
              That's pretty impressive. And yeah you should definitely check, that CapXon died in that spectacular fashion when powering a Core 2 Duo with integrated graphics

Comment

Indeed ! I was quite surprised it held up this well for a unit found in the dumpster. I had about 11.83V with a multimeter.
                I did "kill" one of the two PSUs when powering a rig with a GeForce G100 that had a shorted mosfet...the problem is there is no burnt component in there, I have no idea where to look now. It just won't power up, and I'm not too confident with testing a live power supply...

EDIT : decided to have a new look at it (it died about six months ago), now that I know a bit more about power supplies. One of the two 13009 switch is shorted, I only have 13007 though. Not sure if it's safe to use that instead.
                Last edited by SuperDuty; 04-23-2013, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Well it seems like the 13009 are a "weak point" on those units, or maybe I'm just out of luck. On the previously mentioned one, one of the two was shorted. On the second one I used in my rig, they were both bad ! I don't know why though, I've just tested the PSU and it wouldn't work.
                  I replaced them all with 13007 (that's all I have for them at the moment) and they work fine now.

Comment

Weird, I wonder if you were pulling more than 300W? The OCP should have kicked in though. At least you got it working again!

Comment

The (MJE)13009 was/is a higher current version of the (MJE)13007. So as long as you don't try to draw more than 65%-75% of rated power it should do fine.

The switch transistors (in this case) or MOSFETs handle all the power that is delivered to the load. So if the current limit circuit is slow or its threshold is set too high, an overload can fry the switch devices.
                      PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                      To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

That was under low to medium load. The computer that idled around 55W, the PSU only got around 69% efficiency, 76% was around 50% of its labeled wattage
                        I don't mean to beat a dead horse again but I'm curious...

What was the model number of that Hipro? Was it a variant of the HP-P3527F3 or HP-P3507F5 (the latter would include "HP-P350W/X")? I ask because the former has an ADDA high speed fan (AD0812HS-A70GL) and the latter an ADDA medium speed fan (AD0812MS-A70GL) though the ratings on the label are almost identical, excepting the 230V input rating.

Comment

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
                          I don't mean to beat a dead horse again but I'm curious...

What was the model number of that Hipro? Was it a variant of the HP-P3527F3 or HP-P3507F5 (the latter would include "HP-P350W/X")? I ask because the former has an ADDA high speed fan (AD0812HS-A70GL) and the latter an ADDA medium speed fan (AD0812MS-A70GL) though the ratings on the label are almost identical, excepting the 230V input rating.
                          That is at my other place in storage, I can check the model number this weekend It could use a nice recap anyways because it has all Teapo with ~16,000 running hours, I believe it has an ADDA fan as well but I'll have to double check

Comment

That is at my other place in storage, I can check the model number this weekend It could use a nice recap anyways because it has all Teapo with ~16,000 running hours, I believe it has an ADDA fan as well but I'll have to double check
                            Another way to tell without even looking is if you remember whether it had a rocker switch or not. The HP-P3507F5s do, the HP-P3527F3s don't.

Comment

Delta DPS-450DB S

This power supply powered a Xeon 2.6Ghz server with 5 10k RPM drives, a whopping 2GB of RAM, and various other peripherals 24x7 for nearly 7 years straight till it was finally retired about two years ago. I thought I would take a peak inside of it since its just been sitting on the shelf.

Remarkably little dust in the unit for running all that time, but I pretty much attribute to it being in a climate controlled environment. It looks pretty overbuilt for a 450W unit, especially compared to the power supplies I see nowadays. Its about an inch longer than a typical ATX power supply, and has a 24 pin ATX connector with the EPS connector, with plenty of Molex but unfortunately no SATA connectors. The primary is on one half of the clamshell and the secondary components appear to be on the other. It appears to have voltage adjusts for all the main rails. Its nearly an all Nippon Chemicon line up in there, but I did spot one small value Ltec in the lot.

The duct tape seen on some of the power connectors is my addition. The power cables were all zip tied together, but I had to cut the tie in order to open up the supply and that was all I had on hand as a replacement. :-)
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bobcaygeon View Post
                                Delta DPS-450DB S

It looks pretty overbuilt for a 450W unit, especially compared to the power supplies I see nowadays.
                                Delta Server PSUs tend to be really overbuilt. The 420W Newton (another name Delta uses) in my Dell PowerEdge 840 looks almost identical, except it is a little shorter (and being a little newer has SATA connectors).

Comment

It looks kind of similar to the DPS-750CB that powers my main rig, although mine is somewhat bigger and uses a 92mm front mounted fan.
                                  I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

wrong thread, my bad.
                                    Last edited by mariushm; 04-28-2013, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Kentek KTPS-850

I waffled back and forth trying to decided whether to post this here or in the "gutless" thread. :-) This can be seen as one of those <$50 US shipped ebay specials. My guess is that this is a Leadman. LP-8869E appears to be the model number, and it has the wrap around QC PASS date sticker that I've seen on a bunch of those. The fan is interesting in that it has the shroud molded into the plastic, as opposed to the typical piece of lexan glued to the fan. The secondary caps are a mix of AsiaX and ChengX caps. At quick glance, I didnt see any over 1000uf. The primaries "appear" to be Nippon Chemicon claiming to be 200v 1200uf, but I find them highly suspect. One cap says its KMM series, the other KMG and the fonts are different between the two though neither look quite right compared to other NCCs I've seen. It would be interesting to see what they are really rated for. In any case, I dont think I would trust this supply to reach its rated load.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Yeah that's a Leadman. Thanks for posting it I have seen these all over ebay and I've been curious to see the internals of them. Typical of Leadman to slap on huge wattage specs. Those primaries are probably fake... I bet it could do 300W but probably not with the ripple in spec...it has PI coils but those caps are probably all 1000uF and less

Comment

Its a Powsun, Leadman's new moniker.
                                          http://www.itxpower.net/english_pcpower_8869.htm

Comment

Working...
                                          X