lc power lc 600h apfc doesn't turn on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lc power lc 600h apfc doesn't turn on

So yesterday my sister left her computer on over night and after she woke up she tried powering it on but nothing happened. After diagnosing the problem I figured out that it was a power supply. Btw when I woke up that morning the fuse blew (idk if her computer caused that) but we had problems with poppin fuses before so im not so concerned about that. It's roughly 4 months old and is still under warranty, but I bought is as an OEM unit in another country (we recently moved to Slovenia) and I won't be going there any time soon so I thought about opening it up and trying to repair it (im somewhat experienced with switching power supplies) by myself. I tried measuring resistance between L and N, it measures infinite and gives no signs of life whatsoever (not even 5sb). It physically looks good (I tried taking a sneek peak through the vent holes using a flashlight) and all the caps and semiconductors look good. I honestly think that something short circuited and created a surge that popped a fuse inside. Should I open her up?
    Cheers
    Last edited by nick122; 10-05-2017, 12:31 PM.

Re: lc power lc 600h apfc doesn't turn on

first..
    That's an lc power..
    Not really worth to repair..i think.

Now back to the topic.
    If it's trip your breaker, then must be short somewhere in primary part of your PSU.

And if it give no sign of life even for the 5vsb, then the fuse is dead.
    Mostly it cause by shorted mosfet like primary mosfet or apfc mosfet.
    Or shorted 5vsb generator /Power Off-Line Switcher IC.

With the right components, it will be 100% successful rate.

Comment

Thabks for replying
      It's powering an office pc that pulls 150w max so I guess that it doesn't need a powerful psu. Ik that I should just go and buy a new one, they're not that expensive but I like repairing stuff
      Ok so I'm gonna open it up and check and if needed replace the fuse. Also can a blown bridge rectifier pop fuses? I'll keep you updated
      P.S. the 5Vsb ic is b117h and it looks ok
      Last edited by nick122; 10-05-2017, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quaddro View Post
        first..
        That's an lc power..
        Agreed.

The LC600H cost something like 25 bucks or so and is of low quality. Fiddeling around this thing isn't worth it at all...

And with shipping costs and shit like that it's really not worth it trying to fix it.
        In the end you'll have something like the most expensive LC-600H12 in the world wich does not make this unit one bit better...
        Last edited by Stefan Payne; 10-05-2017, 10:06 PM.

Comment

So I upened it up, and there's a burn mark under the 5vsb ic and the fuse is blown. So I guess that i'm screwed, right? I can't post pics because I closed it up and I reused the warranty sticker lol (using a hair dryer and a razor). Any suggestions?

Comment

Yeah..
            Burned 5vsb generator ic is commonly happens.
            Do you can identify the ic serial number?
            tny series, top series, viper series or what..?

a nice picture will help alot.

Just replace it, and everything will go like new.

Comment

It's Fairchild semi FSB117H. I can't cake pics because I resealed it.

Comment

Also I've just noticed that the "SC" 47uf 50v cap near the 5vsb transformer is leaking. SC probably stands for sh!t capacitor . Is that what caused the 5vsb IC to blow?
                Last edited by nick122; 10-06-2017, 01:46 PM.

Comment

leak?
                  How do you know?
                  47uF caps must be so small..
                  It's impossible to see it if it leak or bulged, simply high esr or shorted.

Take a camera, and give the photo.

Comment

There's some kind of sticky brownish thing underneath it. I'll upload pics later.
                    Last edited by nick122; 10-07-2017, 03:48 AM.

Comment

That's just glue..
                      Just clean it and you'll be okay.

But if you have any doubt, well, just replace the capacitor.

Comment

first..
                        That's an lc power..
                        Not exactly.

Make sure you are not mistaking LC Power for L&C power supplies.

L&C = Deer = Allied = Solytech = meh... not good, really.

LC Power = ??? I forgot who made them, but they are NOT related to L&C/Deer/Allied at all. So you may have a decent unit on your hand. Some pictures would definitely be helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                          Not exactly.

LC Power = ??? I forgot who made them, but they are NOT related to L&C/Deer/Allied at all. So you may have a decent unit on your hand. Some pictures would definitely be helpful.
                          listed as $44 in amazon for 600w.
                          To good to be true for a decent psu.
                          Well, at least this one is apfc..

Yes, picture will really helpful.

Comment

Not exactly.

Yeah, but LC-Power has some decent ones and some not that great ones.
                            This one clearly is one of the not so great ones as it only cost around 30 bucks - or less.
                            And remember in Germany 19% VAT is included (has to be)...

And it seems like most of their stuff right now is made by Great Wall...

Comment

Not exactly.

As far as I've read LC Power PSUs are made by Huntkey.

Also, not all Solytechs are bad. At least some of Modecom's PSUs are based on the Allied/Apex line, and the one PSU I have from them is fully packed with beefy parts and includes PFC. (which is also real)
                              Last edited by Dan81; 10-12-2017, 07:15 AM.
                              Main rig:
                              Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                              Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                              Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                              16GB DDR3-1600
                              Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                              FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                              120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                              Delux MG760 case

Comment

listed as $44 in amazon for 600w.
                                To good to be true for a decent psu
                                I've seen true 600W units go for that much on sale here, even without rebates.

But you are right that the price is quite low for that power range, so this would probably indeed be a low-end 600W PSU at best (crappy caps, crappy fan, not very efficient, terrible hold up time, and etc.)

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                                Also, not all Solytechs are bad. At least some of Modecom's PSUs are based on the Allied/Apex line, and the one PSU I have from them is fully packed with beefy parts and includes PFC. (which is also real)
                                Even a "fully packed" Allied/Apex unit is still quite far from a decent unit. Well, my main problem with them is that they always seem to over-rate their PSUs. If they rated them properly, I wouldn't have that much against them. But recently I got one Allied PSU - fully packed inside, as you say - and it was blown. Why? -Because Allied rated it as a 500W PSU and even included two PCI-E 8-pin connectors. That's really nice of them, but when this PSU was used in an older i7 rig with an R9 290 and two HDDs, it clearly couldn't handle the load. Had Allied rated it for 300-400 Watts and not included the dual 8-pin PCI-E power connectors, this could have been averted. Also, it's a half-bridge design with a 2-transistor 5VSB circuit. In modern times, this is unacceptable IMO for a high-power PSU. I mean, half-bridge is nice and reliable, but it's not very efficient and also requires very bulky components due to the relatively low-speed switching frequency of most H-bridge PWM ICs. Really everyone should be using some form of 2TF (2 transistor forward) design by now, with or without APFC.

Also, I'm not a big fan of those green CS caps that Deer and Allied like to use exclusively in their PSUs. Basically, all of their PSUs would require a recap if you want to run them reliably for more than a few years.

Comment

As far as I've read LC Power PSUs are made by Huntkey.
                                  They were, but not anymore.
                                  For years they haven't done anything with Huntkey, as far as I know...

Also, not all Solytechs are bad.
                                  Example of an amazing Solytech PSU:
                                  https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...XQ_850W/4.html

Later iterations seem to have CapXon caps secondary...

Comment

Yeah, i have an old 225w solytech psu from hp/wearness.

After recaps and small upgrade to the primary transistor and secondary rectifier, it's pretty decent for light load computer..

Comment

Even a "fully packed" Allied/Apex unit is still quite far from a decent unit. Well, my main problem with them is that they always seem to over-rate their PSUs. If they rated them properly, I wouldn't have that much against them. But recently I got one Allied PSU - fully packed inside, as you say - and it was blown. Why? -Because Allied rated it as a 500W PSU and even included two PCI-E 8-pin connectors. That's really nice of them, but when this PSU was used in an older i7 rig with an R9 290 and two HDDs, it clearly couldn't handle the load.
                                      Mine must've been rated honestly then - 400W and it had the usual stuff - 20pin, 4pin ATX12v, 4 Molex plugs and one floppy plug.

Also, I'm not a big fan of those green CS caps that Deer and Allied like to use exclusively in their PSUs. Basically, all of their PSUs would require a recap if you want to run them reliably for more than a few years.
                                      Deer uses Saturn/Yang Chun caps, not CS. They're not the only people to use them though, as I've seen them in some Enhance PSUs as well.
                                      Main rig:
                                      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                      Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                                      16GB DDR3-1600
                                      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                      FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                                      120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                                      Delux MG760 case

Comment

Mine must've been rated honestly then - 400W and it had the usual stuff - 20pin, 4pin ATX12v, 4 Molex plugs and one floppy plug.
                                        mmmmmmmmmm........ no.
                                        If anything, that configuration reminds me of the typical cheapo L&C that comes with a the standard 20 pin ATX, 4 pin ATX12V, and 4 peripheral connectors (+1 floppy). So when I see it, I pretty much know what to expect when I open the PSU.

Don't get me wrong - even those low-end L&C PSUs have a decent half-bridge design and will be quite dependable with the proper components installed. But in terms of overall value, again, they are just "Meh."

Deer uses Saturn/Yang Chun caps, not CS. They're not the only people to use them though, as I've seen them in some Enhance PSUs as well.
                                        Ah yes, brain fart on my end here.

Comment

Working...
                                        X