Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I working safely?

Hi:

I would like to ask you a couple of questions regarding my work station.

1. Is this a right isolation transformer to isolate it from ground and work more safer for instance with SMPS?

I bought this transformer where I have plugged a serial lamp and from it I plug the PCBs I want to test.

2. Isolating correctly the oscilloscope

I am not sure if connecting the oscilloscope at the isolation transformer will be good idea when measuring things with HOT GROUND........or maybe better to use batteries and have it fully isolated.
    I'v bought a second hand osciloscope and I have built a 5V battery for it.......is it a good configuration? or both are good?

Thanks in advance,
    Francesc.
    Attached Files

Re: Am I working safely?

That is NOT an isolation transformer, it is a variac (autotransformer) It will not isolate anything from the a/c line.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by R_J; 12-29-2022, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Thanks R_J for highlighting it!!...
      So better I buy a real isolate one before I die.

What about the oscilloscope external supply? Battery powered is a good isolation from ground, right?

Comment

Just dont even think that isolation transformer is ultimate safety against dieing or worse...
        Have you watch and understand plenty of yt videos about problem with ground and where come isolation transformer handy?

Battery power devices is more protected in practice, when using only one channel.
        Last edited by harp; 12-30-2022, 10:32 AM.

Comment

real men just keep their hands dry and watch where they put their fingers

i couldnt count the number of times i disconnected a 20kV charged crt with bare hands

Comment

The isolation transformer is there to protect the equipment and the unit you are working on, It is not going to protect YOU from getting shocked or worse.

It is necessary when connecting a line powered scope to a smps primary circuit. without an isolation transformer, as soon as you connect the scope ground to the primary hot ground you will blow the primary circuit and likely your scope ground clip and lead at a minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
              real men just keep their hands dry and watch where they put their fingers

i couldnt count the number of times i disconnected a 20kV charged crt with bare hands
              NHF, newermined how much smileys you put, that comment is not helpful in this type of thread...

Comment

Comment

Do not worry.......I think I am getting the irony. Thank you all for your replies.

I got a Real isolation transformer (1000 VA). However I put 230V on the input and I only have 180V on the output. I am wondering whether to use it or not. The idea goes as follow:

I connect the transformer to the main. The output for this transformer to the VARIAC and setting it to 230V. The VARIAC's output to the serial lamp.......

Will it be ok or better I keep the current config?

Thanks you your patience of keeping me alive

Regards,
                  Francesc.

Comment

isolation transformer should be 1 to 1 so something is wrong .

Comment

got a picture of it?

Comment

2-4 1 ohm
                        3-5 1 ohm
                        ( I also tried to feed 230 in both "inductances" at same time; same result)

I am getting about 180V between 8-11 in the secondary.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Thats a nice one

You are doing something wrong with wiring.

I guess that in primar is two 230 windings, first between pin #2 and #3, and second between pin #4 and #5.

Secondary might be between pin #9 and #10

Check double before plug in...

Comment

its wired wrong .. looks like it needs the jumpers .
                            looks more obvious here ..

Comment

Yes... external jumper settings (connection link) may represent this ilustration indeed, but how he get 180v?
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by harp; 01-04-2023, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Fixed!! I was missing 3 jumpers.

2-3,4-5,9-10

So.....I will use it instead of the VaRIAC.

Badcaps approved??

Comment

Originally posted by Francesc V. View Post
                                  Fixed!! I was missing 3 jumpers.

2-3,4-5,9-10

So.....I will use it instead of the VaRIAC.

Badcaps approved??
                                  well done .

Comment

Originally posted by Francesc V. View Post
                                    Badcaps approved??
                                    No! I have to say that is the most counter intuitive transformer plate description I have ever seen, and I have seen some confusing crap!
                                    Good work getting it working without it blowing up!
                                    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                                      No! I have to say that is the most counter intuitive transformer plate description I have ever seen, and I have seen some confusing crap!
                                      All tests done using the light bulb......that helped not blowing up everything. Once mounted I realise that there is a YouTube video that explains all steps.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                                        I have to agree with you on this most of the time it would show you what terminals would give you a certain voltage this one shows you the windings real odd
                                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                        30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                                        10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                                        6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                                        1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                                        25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                                        6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                                        1 Dell Mother Board
                                        15 Computer Power Supply
                                        1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                                        2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                                        All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Working...
                                        X