Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GA-8IHXP

Hi,

I'm about to RMA the board with Gigabyte, which has one capacitor that is slightly bulged at the top. The label on the capacitor says GSC 6.3 volts 3300 uF. It hasn't caused any problems with the system yet; everything so far is stable. I saw it while I was replacing my video card. It had some rust stains on the top which I cleaned off. I stopped using the system to prevent any permanent damage.

Does anyone have experience RMAing a board with Gigabyte. They told me they have to repair my board because they don't make this board model anymore.
    Id like to know if Gigabyte does a good job at replacing these capacitors. Will they replace just that one capacitor that is bulged, or all of them with non-defecive capacitors, and save me the trouble of having to rma the board? There are a couple of capacitors that are rated 1500uf which I assume would have to be replaced as well? Will Gigabyte replace them?

The image is large so I created a link to it.
    http://home.earthlink.net/~georgegpn.../DSC06046d.JPG

Thanks,
    Georgegpn
    Attached Files
    Last edited by willawake; 11-12-2005, 07:25 AM.

I have never RMA'd a board to gigabyte. MSI won't even talk to you if you mention bad capacitors, so be thankful they're RMA'ing it for you. Abit is the only company I know of that actually acknowledges the cap problem, and still RMA's older boards they discontinued years ago. However, thier RMA service is MISERABLY slow!

Do let us know the outcome when you get your board back.

TC
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Re: GA-8IHXP

Originally posted by GeorgeGPN
      Hi,

I'm about to RMA the board with Gigabyte, which has one capacitor that is slightly bulged at the top. The label on the capacitor says GSC 6.3 volts 3300 uF.
      I have exactly the same cap bulging on my 8IHXP.
      I only just discovered it after my system would hang at the bios screen with heiroglyphics in the last few days.
      I had previously checked for popped caps after the Silicon Chip article in 2003 and all were ok then, so I can only blame the 3300uF 6.3V cap at position EC25 for this problem.
      I am attempting replacement at the moment and will return results.

Comment

I did my first recap on a gigabyte board because they never responded to my request.

Comment

Originally posted by Fatal0E
          I did my first recap on a gigabyte board because they never responded to my request.
          This is exactly where I stand at the moment. (no reply as yet, but I'm impatient...lol)
          BTW, the bad cap is a GSC 3300uf 6.3V unit.

I've got a Panasonic 3300uF 10V FC ready to go in now, but the leads are too fat so I'm going to 'replace' them with smaller leads and stand it off the mobo a few mill (for the soldered lead joins).

Comment

What other caps (values, voltages, and manufacturers) do you have on the board? The general recommendation is that anything 1000uF and above made by the badcap manufacturers be replaced. Some people advocate 470uF and above. Personally, I replace any value made by badcap makers. Just because it doesn't look bad, doesn't mean it isn't bad.

Comment

Originally posted by AK0R
              What other caps (values, voltages, and manufacturers) do you have on the board? The general recommendation is that anything 1000uF and above made by the badcap manufacturers be replaced. Some people advocate 470uF and above. Personally, I replace any value made by badcap makers. Just because it doesn't look bad, doesn't mean it isn't bad.
              There are another 9 1000uF 6.3V GSC caps which 'appear' ok.
              I've already got Rubycon ZL 1000uF 6.3v replacements for all of them, but I'm mainly concerned about the popped one first (for elimination's sake).
              Either way all the other GSC's can be considered gone after the first test (and sleep zZZZ)

Comment

Sorry - too late to edit last post.

Just found 3 OST 16v 1500uF jobs on the board as well, which I only just found in your bad cap list. Damn >_< Don't have replacements for those at hand.
                Oh well....off to RS Components again.......lucky they're only 30 mins away.

BTW....I should have said earlier....thanks for BADCAPS.net
                Even if this does not work out I'm glad I've given it a go.

Comment

Originally posted by cods69
                  BTW....I should have said earlier....thanks for BADCAPS.net
                  Even if this does not work out I'm glad I've given it a go.
                  With reasonable care, there's no reason to even think you might be unsuccessful. Just go slow, take your time, and don't force *anything* (the original capacitor out or the new one in). There are a lot of good tips scattered about in various posts about how to do unsoldering, hole cleaning, and resoldering. Many people have had good luck using a dental pick to help clean out the holes; I use a small-size sewing needle. Whatever you use needs to be chrome or stainless steel to prevent the solder from sticking.

Comment

It's ALIVE!!!! ALIVE!!!!!

Running Memtest now.
                    Still have only replaced the 1 popped cap.

One strange thing....I still got partially corrupt graphics (no where near as bad as before) with my ti4400 and another old cheapo PCI card (the same ones I tested with when pc first died).
                    I put in a different PCI cheapo which has never been on this board and the graphics are clean! Reset BIOS to defaults cause it complained about settings.

All I can surmize of this is that there are still bad caps on the board, or the 2 cards I tested with may have been fried? Testing further.

Just passed first pass in memtest! :

Comment

More than likely, you are correct in your assumption of more bad caps. Those that filter the 3.3v and 5v would be the best candidates. As its name says, Memtest is for memory (board RAM); it doesn't test memory on cards (video, sound, etc.).

Comment

Update....

Still no joy with those 2 graphics cards mentioned above.
                        Also, RS dont have stock of the 1500uF 16V caps I mentioned I may need as well.
                        I can get my hands on Jaycars 2200uF 16V caps today though.
                        Would you think it worth trying the 2200's today, or being too risky, wait for RS to get some 1500/16 in.
                        If I'm going to wait, I'll do the 1000uF 6.3V Rubycons (9 of em) to replace those GSC 1000uF 6.3V after I get a decent soldering iron. My 25W was too slow with the wick.
                        Last edited by cods69; 10-04-2005, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Yet another update....

If you have followed my posts, I got a bit excited a bit too quickly before.
                          The 3rd supposedly working card only looks good until I loaded Knoppix when lots of nasty flickers of horizontal lines every .5 second until the desktop stops loading. Lots of corruption on screen when moving mouse around gfx, and hangs/resets machine if you click on something.
                          Docmem also hangs when you start it.

I bought a new Zalman ZM400B cause there was a high pitch whine coming from the old PSU - new Zalman is nice and quiet, but does not fix any issue.

Again, if you've followed my posts, I've got 3 "Sun" 2200uF 16V caps to replace the 1500/16 which I will try last, after replacing the 9 GSC with Rubycon. (did not end up getting the Jaycar ones)

Does anyone know if the SUN caps are any good? (the Sun name is inside a picture of a rising sun - the cap stamp on the top of the can is a + sign)
                          Last edited by cods69; 10-05-2005, 01:30 AM.

Comment

Yet another update, with some pix.

Here is the only cap I've found to have popped (so far).

The next image shows 1 replaced GSC (with the Panasonic).
                            It also shows all other GSC caps which were replaced with Rubycons, as well as the 3 OST caps which I am still waiting for replacements from RS.

The above pic also shows a NEC K3296 M25 (2SK3296 ?) which I found is getting VERY hot. Too hot to touch, as a matter of fact.

I'll put a new pic up with all replaced caps when I receive the last 3 and they are in.

So where do I stand so far?

ALL GST caps have been replaced, with no change in result.
                            (I feel good that I did not screw anything up any worse!)
                            Still waiting for replacement Panny's for the 3 OST caps.
                            Found very hot mosfet which concerns me.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by cods69; 10-09-2005, 07:59 PM.

Comment

We have had a few boards which our supplier says have been returned to gigabyte for warranty repair.

The standard of workmanship is excellent as you would expect.

We have observed that they will sometimes replace all known badcap brands right across the board with rubicons no less!

Comment

Originally posted by Neo2_000
                                We have had a few boards which our supplier says have been returned to gigabyte for warranty repair.

The standard of workmanship is excellent as you would expect.

We have observed that they will sometimes replace all known badcap brands right across the board with rubicons no less!
                                I should have mentioned previously that Gigabyte did eventually end up suggesting RMAing the board (no costing was mentioned other than ~$40AU postage) which I need to find more detail on.
                                If this offer is indeed genuine I will pursue it after the final test with the 3 OST caps.

This is a board I can NOT let go - there is too much work invested around it and it must be fixed (or /sigh/ replaced) regardless of costs.

Comment

I have taken Gigabytes offer to RA the board.
                                  I however do not have much hope that it will be fixed/replaced. There seemed to be some reluctence by a few of the warranty reps to have anything to do with Joe Public and a few of them made a point of saying they would not hold any hope of Gigabyte fixing it.
                                  There was one helpful person there who seemed to be in charge.....
                                  .....will update when I hear from them next.

Comment

Note: correction to my previous 8IHXP photo -
                                    I showed (in red) the GSC 1500uf 6.3V
                                    It should show 1000uf 6.3V

Update:
                                    I have still not received my mobo back from Gigabyte. In the meantime I bought another 8IHXP on ebay, which unfortunately will not POST at all (no vid or beeps) which is being returned.
                                    While this 8IHXP is also a revision 2.1, it has quite different (what seems to be) factory installed caps.

I'll put a photo of it up at a later time.
                                    Summary of main cap 8IHXP variations:
                                    9x GSC 1000uf 6.3V are G-Luxon 1000uf 6.3V
                                    3x OST 1500uf 16V are the same.
                                    1x GSC 3300uf 6.3V is a Choyo 3300uf 6.3V
                                    9x Sanyo 1500uf 6.3V are Panny FJ 1500uf 6.3V
                                    2x Sanyo 1000uf 6.3V are the same.

Comment

Well, I'm feeling very excited, but a little sick.
                                      My (same S/N) mobo has been returned after 6 weeks by Synnex/Gigabyte with a receipt saying repaired. That is why I'm excited.
                                      I'm feeling sick cause they have only replaced (out of all the caps) the 1 popped GSC cap with an OST 6.3V 3300uF.
                                      I have not hooked her up yet, but will report back after much testing with photo's.

Comment

you can bet the others will go soon.
                                        sounds shoddy to me.
                                        time to send it to tc or me to get it done right!

Comment

Working...
                                        X