Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Motherboards with Bad Capacitors > ECS - EpoX - Gigabyte
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-18-2008, 09:47 PM   #1
gastorgrab
Badcaps Veteran

Default No luck lately (EPoX 8RTA3)

I just attempted to recap a board for my sister, and all went well. I double-checked the solder joints with the pocket microscope, and touched up where necessary.

I'm starting to like the convenience of the flux-pen i bought.

Anyway, everything was going fine until.......i tried to install an OS. I began to think there was something wrong with the hard drive so i substituted with a CF-to-IDE adapter. No access.

Reconnecting the hard drive and starting FDISK allowed me to partition the disk. FDISK seemed to see the correct size of the disk 78,xxx MB. When i formatted the disk only 12,xxx MB appeared.

I was told that this board was doing some pretty crazy things before it was brought to me but i'll have to ask about the hard drive controller.

*What was mentioned was that the board would only recognize one memory slot.

My Question: Even though i cleared the CMOS before starting it, could the firmware still be hung in this odd state?

I have an application that seems to work better at clearing the CMOS than a 'Load Defaults' and i wonder if it could work where a 'clear-CMOS-jumper' operation failed.
gastorgrab is offline   Reply With Quote