Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do people still overclock?

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
    It won't drop until it overheats actually. If your cooling system is good it should never drop.

Note that battery policy may change this. it could put a power limit due to battery consumption...
    I was already thinking that it was more FUD from the "enthusiasts." Someone screwed up their cooling, and everyone blamed Intel (the "Con Lake" thing - modern computer stuff is nutty). On the laptop, it probably is done to reduce power consumption. It is throttling in "performance" mode, but I feel like most laptops with that CPU will throttle even more.

Comment

time for me to chime in with this. if u look at my title, its self-explanatory: hardcore overclocker. i overclock everything that can be overclocked. cpu, ram, motherboard chipset, gpu, gpu vram etc.

and yes RJARRRPCGP is right that overclocking is a fine art, especially if its getting a 24/7 stable overclock for constant use by testing with p95 large and blend, intel linpack, occt cpu test and superpi. but im similar to brethin, i only overclock on demand if the application im running can benefit from it.

laptop overclocking is a little icky due to the typical crappy cooling found on most laptops. for me, my dell latitude e6500 only kicks the fan on when the cpu temps reach 81°C and the fan cuts off when the temps drop below 60°C, otherwise it runs passive without the fan. even then when the fan kicks on, it runs at quite a slow silent speed. this is unacceptable to me so i hotwired the fan to run off the 5v 1amp high powered usb port on my laptop. the fan sounds slightly noisy running at full blast but at least i get better cooling on the laptop now! lol! hopefully, it lasts longer with the better cooling!

lastly, for overclocking the core 2 quads, go for it! the quads tend to fly at 3 ghz and above but past 3.2 ghz or thereabouts, the performance difference isnt noticeable but it produces a lot more heat so u will need a very beefy cooler for c2q overclocking past 3.4 ghz or so. i.e. in overclocking, past a certain point, the cpu needs a lot more voltage to scale just a tiny bit more in ghz so thats when u know u have reached the voltage wall or clockspeed wall silicon limit in your chip, so thats when u know to back off and just let it be. thats the best this guy has got to give.

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
        only overclock on demand if the application im running can benefit from it.
        So you turn off overclocking in BIOS when you don't need it?

Since the machine was intended to be batch server I'd want it to be always on or always off, no switching. Then again there's some limited ACPI/speedstep/OS speed control that may make up for the higher 'fast' speed...

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post

lastly, for overclocking the core 2 quads, go for it! the quads tend to fly at 3 ghz and above but past 3.2 ghz or thereabouts, the performance difference isnt noticeable but it produces a lot more heat so u will need a very beefy cooler for c2q overclocking past 3.4 ghz or so..
          65nm Core 2 Quads are a pain, expect WHEAs for bus/interconnect error with the FSB at only 360-something Mhz, having to raise the FSB termination voltage to 1.35V and have sub-ambient cooling at only 3.3 Ghz core clock, especially with the Q6600s, which seem to be low-binned.

AFAIK, 65nm Core 2 Quads consume a lot of watts with OC'ed.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 45nms are a lot better.
          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I would say that the good old times of the overclocking are long gone and ended.
            Today it's more for enthusiasts that can actually pay substantial amount of money for unlocked cpu and mobo.
            Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
            1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

Originally posted by televizora View Post
              I would say that the good old times of the overclocking are long gone and ended.
              Today it's more for enthusiasts that can actually pay substantial amount of money for unlocked cpu and mobo.
              I got a good deal for my other new system, built this year, which is Intel, in case I can't get an upgrade from AMD. I got a good deal on a Core i5 10600K.
              I also got an MSI Z490 motherboard. A lot less than a video card! A video card is too expensive, FFS!

It ended up being better building an Intel rig with a Z490 motherboard than getting a video card!
              Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 03-07-2021, 07:05 AM.
              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

why can't you get an upgrade from AMD?
                Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                  why can't you get an upgrade from AMD?
                  Because it's a nightmare to get a Ryzen 5000 series! There's also apparently faulty batches of the Ryzen 5000 series.
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

I need a good deal on something... a very good deal...

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                      Because it's a nightmare to get a Ryzen 5000 series! There's also apparently faulty batches of the Ryzen 5000 series.
                      Hopefully people aren't baking pizzas in the chip curing ovens again!
                      Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                      RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                      Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                      - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                      - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                      - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                      - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

sorry for necro-dig but i stumbled upon this thread when trying to search for a previous thread about conroe cpu's high temperatures and found that i didnt answer eccerr0r's question.
                        Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                        So you turn off overclocking in BIOS when you don't need it?
                        yes, because most of the later 775 boards like the p965, 975x, p35, x38, x48 and p45 chipset based boards from asus and gigabyte have a function to load and save bios settings either to the flash rom bios or to the internal/usb disk. so its easy to quick load your favourite oc or stock bios settings with a couple of key presses on the keyboard, so i definitely made full use of this function indeed!

Comment

Working...
                        X