Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modifying a 4 Position Universal Rotary Cam Changeover Switch LW26-20 for more cams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modifying a 4 Position Universal Rotary Cam Changeover Switch LW26-20 for more cams

Panel Mount 4 Position 8 terminals Universal Rotary Cam Changeover Switch LW26-20 20A
    ( needs more cam circuits for the machine to work correctly again )

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275321870186

To
    3 Position 16 Terminals Universal Rotary Cam Changeover Switch LW28-20 20A
    ( not 4 positions but the right amount of cams circuits )

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274660439950

I going to take the 4 position cams selector switch and remove the cams that are on it and remove the cams off of the 3 position selector switch and swap them around and I might have to reset the cams for the right configuration like the original selector switch was

Here is the video that shows how it comes apart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCU6gZwtqVU

I am working on a very old shear machine that the cam selector switch went bad
    ( no longer available anywhere )

The original switch is not repairable unfortunately because someone tried to repair it and some of the spring were lost for the contact to the cam

I watched a video that showed how this switch comes apart and I see no reason why it should not be able to modify it so I have enough circuits for the controller

This is the second machine that I have to modify the controller hook up parts in some way because the parts no longer available same manufacturer different model number ( the other machine was bad relays on secondary controller board went bad the part no longer available either ) got machine working again with modified board

Has anyone else tried to do this if so how did it turn out did the device work after it was modified

In either case they did not want to buy another new machine to replace the non working machine wanted to be repaired if possible with the understanding that it might not exactly work the way that it did originally but it is controllable and safe to use with this understanding in both cases it is a very small machine shop or metal working shop
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 03-18-2023, 06:18 PM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Re: Modifying a 4 Position Universal Rotary Cam Changeover Switch LW26-20 for more c

Things are not going very well finding a switch configuration that is even close to what I need and trying to configurative one is even more challenging than you would think it would be

But there might be hope if this eBay seller that had a customized service can come through then I might be able to fix this machine with out having to resort to relay logic which I am trying to stay away from
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

Re: Modifying a 4 Position Universal Rotary Cam Changeover Switch LW26-20 for more c

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
      But there might be hope if this eBay seller that had a customized service can come through then I might be able to fix this machine with out having to resort to relay logic which I am trying to stay away from
      Well the cam selector switches finally came in the right configuration from the eBay customize cam selector switch services but the first set was wrong but the seller did finally send me the correct configuration the second set

I was able to keep both sets and I was not charged for the second set but I did have to get ebay involved to a certain extent about the refund return request because at first the seller wanted me to pay for it again this is the part that ebay helped me with

The cam switch that they sent me originally I have a use for it in my new shed because it is rated for 600 volts at 63 amps because this switch configuration is meant for phase reversal but not configured like most of the ones that I have seen before it actually has a set of contacts for each phase not like most of them where you only switch two sets of wires and you have the reverse function on a motor and it has “1” “0” “2”

I am going to use this to have two separate 120 volt circuits or 240 volts so I can use only one set of breakers for this setup instead of two sets of breakers

This cam selector switch has eight cams with a total of 32 terminals connections some of the connections are not going to be used the reason for this was because there is standard configuration for 32 terminals connection but the configuration was not exactly what I needed so because they come in a eight cam selector switch I just had them changed a couple of cam to make what I needed

I thought I would update this post

So now I have to put this cam selector switch in the machine but I will have to silently modify the wiring to accommodate this type of cam selector switch which is not like the original one so I might be at for a little while I just have to make a bunch of jumper wires to accommodate the way this switch is

Position “0” = no connections
      Position “1” = 2 cam = 8 terminals on the machine only use one set of contacts
      Position “2” = 3 cams = 12 terminals on the machine uses 3 sets of contacts
      Position “3” = 3 cams = 12 terminals on the use the same 3 sets of contacts as above and one that is different from the above one and because of the one that is different I have to isolate it from the other ones above
      This might be a little bit confusing but really it is once you follow the wiring diagram then you understand why it was done this way

Standard cam switch configuration is or position “1” “2” “3” “4” but uses the same configuration as below
      Position “0” = 2 cams = 8 terminals
      Position “1” = 2 cams = 8 terminals
      Position “2” = 2 cams = 8 terminals
      Position “3” = 2 cams = 8 terminals

There is another configuration for a 32 terminal cam selector switch but this seller does not post the switch configuration so who knows what configuration it has

If I can remember to take pictures of the switch when it is wired up correctly I will show you what I am talking about it was difficult to find the right configuration cam switch for this machine
      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 06-14-2023, 07:16 PM.
      9 PC LCD Monitor
      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
      1 Dell Mother Board
      15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Working...
      X