Help identify component

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help identify component

Trying to identify the component in the pic. It's in an old car battery charger.

Re: Help identify component

Looks like it is a UJT 2N2646 should work
    I found the information here: https://forum.nutsvolts.com/viewtopi...0809b&start=15
    Is it bad or does it just check strange?
    Last edited by R_J; 04-07-2019, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Hey, thanks for that. I turned the internet upside down looking for that and nothing fell out...lol. I dig around and see if I have one. Thanks again.
      Haven't tested it yet. Didn't know what it was.
      Last edited by imaddicted2u; 04-07-2019, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
        Looks like it is a UJT 2N2646 should work
        I found the information here: https://forum.nutsvolts.com/viewtopi...0809b&start=15
        Is it bad or does it just check strange?
        Tests bad, thanks again.

Comment

It won't check like a normal transistor. But if it checks shorted, it will be bad. http://www.circuitstoday.com/testing-a-ujt
          Last edited by R_J; 04-07-2019, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Right, it checks like 2 diodes. It measures open every which way.

Comment

That last post reads kind of funny...
              The UJT should check like 2 diodes but this one measures open every which way. The only other semiconductors in the battery charger, 2 SCRs and 1 zener diode test ok.
              Thanks R_J for being ever helpful. It's much appreciated.

Comment

I have some 2N4871 UJT. The only readings I get on diode-test is between E-B1, and E-B2 around 0.98V, +ve to emitter.

There should be an RC phase-delay and the zener must be to back off when battery voltage gets up there.

Comment

Here are some pics in case you are interested. It's a Motomaster model 11-1519 battery charger, 12 volt at 6 Amps. The circuit board has Tenatronics Ltd. 50-114 etched on it. They seem to be from Newmarket, Ontario.

The transformer that feeds the board is a 27 volt center tap.

Comment

It looks not bad, anything beats selenium rectifiers lol. Not hard to sketch a schematic. In the late 1970's lots of GE circuits for SCR chargers.
                    The blue Philips electrolytic caps, I find they don't last.
                    It probably eats SCR's if you short the output.

It looks more like a "programmable unijunction transistor" circuit?
                    Like this but drives two SCR's.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by redwire; 04-07-2019, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
                      It looks not bad, anything beats selenium rectifiers lol. Not hard to sketch a schematic. In the late 1970's lots of GE circuits for SCR chargers.
                      The blue Philips electrolytic caps, I find they don't last.
                      It probably eats SCR's if you short the output.
                      LOL, I thought I was the only one that remembered selenium rectifiers...When my neighbor dropped it off yesterday, I said, I hope that thing doesn't have a selenium rectifier...lol.
                      The SCRs were soldered before I got it so they may have been replaced. I think whoever soldered it before used acid core solder.
                      The only protection is a little glass self resetting breaker in the output, I doubt it's much help for reverse polarity.

Comment

i see them still, in old jukeboxes.

Comment

I already ordered a couple of 2N2646 UJTs based on the link provided at the start of this thread since I can't cross the original part directly. If it turns out to be a Programmable I'll get one of those. I think I'll sketch it out when I get some time.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                            i see them still, in old jukeboxes.
                            Funny you mention jukeboxes. When I was in school taking electronics in the mid 70s our class project was to refurbish a 50s jukebox.

Comment

Motorola SU316 unijunction transistor. No NTE cross (like a SU112), not in my 1980 Motorola datasbooks. MPU131, 2N6027 are.
                              Also in this thread about Sears 10A battery charger: https://forum.nutsvolts.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=8342
                              But images gone due to third party aholes
                              The guy did not get the 2N6028 PUT to work, but 2N2646 UJT did ok.

Comment

I found another circuit that uses a 2N2608 (SU316), with the SU316 listed in brackets in its parts list, so it might just be a fet?
                                Last edited by R_J; 04-07-2019, 06:10 PM.

Comment

But the circuit does look closer to this, using ujt
                                  The parts list I refered to was this one, the (su316) might have different meaning in this case
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by R_J; 04-07-2019, 10:16 PM.

Comment

I drew a schematic and it looks like a voltage-controlled oscillator that pulses the SCRs (trigger transformer). I'd guess it's a UJT or PUT.

I think the circuit has some issues... The snubbers are sort of terrible to have AC on electrolytic caps, and the zener should get supplied not from the trimpot. Unless I have drawn it wrong.
                                    Why are the SCR's on an insulator but not the mounting screws? I think that would short the power transformer?
                                    Attached Files
                                    Last edited by redwire; 04-07-2019, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
                                      I drew a schematic and it looks like a voltage-controlled oscillator that pulses the SCRs (trigger transformer). I'd guess it's a UJT or PUT.

I think the circuit has some issues... The snubbers are sort of terrible to have AC on electrolytic caps, and the zener should get supplied not from the trimpot. Unless I have drawn it wrong.
                                      Why are the SCR's on an insulator but not the mounting screws? I think that would short the power transformer?
                                      Thanks everyone for your efforts...
                                      I didn't get notifications for these updates for some reason.
                                      I drew this over coffee this morning.
                                      This is a little more rudimentary than yours but here is my rendition...
                                      edit...made corrections to original drawing

edit: adding pic of back of PCB lit up to see traces better.

The SCRs are isolated but from the back side.
                                      Last edited by imaddicted2u; 04-08-2019, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Orientation of 2N2646 Component.

Hi Guys

I am trying to fix one of these Canadian Tire Battery Chargers. Found your article and I'm taking a chance that my Battery Charger has the same issue as yours did. Ordered a replacement 2N2646 Transistor. Having issues figuring out the correct pin layout for the 2N2646 I seem to get conflicting Case/Pin layout for this component.

Questions
                                        (1) Is the attached picture the correct pin layout?
                                        (2) What is the correct Case for this part?

Thanks for your help
                                        Willy
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X