Tek 2014 scope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tek 2014 scope

This scope suddenly became unresponsive to the front panel contrls. Power cycling did not help.
    The usual try this, try that coaxed very little.
    On power up, it would run through diagnostics until it needed a user input. It then hung.

Tektrinix wanted more to repair than you could buy a similar (but not Tek) scope for.

Put it away in a cupboard and several weeks later, tried it again. It worked, including reading the front panel buttons for about 2 minutes, then hung.

Again, left for a long time, and each time it would run, but for progressively shorter times. Eventually, it would only power up but would not even self-test.

The primary PSU itself (it's a mains/battery scope) gives the right voltage, but there are multiple regulators on the main board.

The unit is 10 years old and my diagnosis is a bad cap. No visible signs, but recent experience with a Sony PSU where the cap had high ESR, and similar problems showed no external signs and even measured approx the right value.

Has anyone worked on a Tek scope? Is a schematc available (Ha-Ha). I feel sure that sending it to Tek would result in them changing a couple of caps and charging the earth.

John

PS. In a discussion with Tek it transpired that they considered that their scopes were so reliable that they had a lifetime guarantee but apparently not for one that had gone wrong!!!
    Last edited by johnn635; 05-12-2017, 06:52 AM. Reason: PS about Tek

Re: Tek 2014 scope

got any foto's from inside it?

Comment

Only the old Tek scopes had their schematics available. They do break once in a while - both of my Tek scopes were acquired broken, though both are over 25 years old...

Tek won't replace caps, likely they will swap out PSU, mainboard, etc. until it's fixed like most other companies.

Comment

uh whats the model number? TDS2014, DPO2014, MSO2014
        I've seen schematics for late model Tek, maybe worth a dig.

Possible schematic is here: http://www.tek.com/oscilloscope/tds1...service-manual
        Last edited by redwire; 05-12-2017, 01:01 PM.

Comment

I think the schematic was omitted in that service manual.

As far as I know, only the numbered models with no letter prefixes have schematics released, probably is a good rule of thumb on telling which Tek released schematics for. Then again the "later" ones like even the ones I have use custom VLSI and schematics won't tell the whole story anyway.

Comment

models sold to the u.s. military have full service info available.
            it's a contract requirement.

Comment

How about the VLSI?

Comment

no chance - it's not like the chip could be repaired in the field!

Comment

That's what I'd figure... then again I don't know what US military would do if there was a problem tracked to VLSI which is getting worse and worse.

I've found out that the Tek VLSI are very fragile...at least on my 2465...

Comment

you should see chips from the 1970's to early 80's from texas instruments or general instruments (GI - now Microchip),
                    with gold or silver plated legs, the legs fall off when you remove them from the socket.
                    or if soldered, the plating seperates from the base copper!
                    Last edited by stj; 05-13-2017, 06:37 AM.

Comment

I got the service manual and the diagnosis is 'replace main board'. Maybe Tek make enough profit that they just junk the main board and supply a new one, but from discussions it seems they do some testing using their in house info and you may get your board back 'repaired'.

Yes. of course it could be a VLSI part, but the forum is 'badcaps.net' so take it that I am looking at cap failure.
                      Sorry, no photos since I do not have it here. Anyway, VERY close scrutiny did not reveal any physical signs.

However, I have to say that the service manual is a bit more forthcoming about derived voltages and where to check them so I may get the scope on these to see if there are signs of high ripple or noise.

John

Comment

Sometimes I wonder about the people who do chicken and egg problem getting a broken scope to fix... I was lucky enough to have an old but working scope when I got the broken 2465, and I used that to diagnose and repair it. Unfortunately its failure was much more than just bad caps.

If the problem truly is bad caps with your scope, an ESR meter that can test in-circuit will help wonders. Of course if you had another working scope, you could just view the voltage across the cap (with AC coupling) to see how bad the cap was operating...

(I suppose mechanical failure is one thing, but the electrical robustness of the Tek VLSI is what I feel is questionable, then again it was probably being run out of spec due to other failures, and the domino effect occurs...)

Comment

Working...
                        X