Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rescue MacBook Pro with Damaged LVDS

Hi everyone.

I've had a MacBook Pro stored away for a while now - a Late 2011 model with a Core i7 Quad 2.4GHz. The previous owner spilled a glass of red wine over it, and thankfully I was able to get in there very shortly after it happened and rescue most of the machine. I've repaired the Backlit Keyboard, pulled from another scrap unit, and the Logic Board mostly works apart from some damage to the LVDS connector (on an external display, it works perfectly).

The 4 pins to the far left of the connector were corroded and are missing. Those 4 pins control the LED backlights, so this screen still displays video, just no backlight. It did work for a while, but as the pins were already damaged, when I cleaned away the wine, it took the pins with it.

The good news is that it does look like the copper pads on the Logic Board are intact, the backlight fuse wouldn't likely be blown since it doesn't appear to have shorted and the LCD display itself is in perfect working order - I tested it with another Logic Board. Even better, it's the CTO 1680 x 1050 display.

Recently I've been thinking about attempting to repair this machine. I'll be studying this year and this MacBook Pro would be a significantly better machine than my existing one, and more reliable - even with some soldering and modding involved (which goes to show just how bad the old machine is!).

Thankfully the Late 2011 Logic Board isn't anywhere near as densely packed with components around the LVDS connector, which does help its chances somewhat.

Here's a large (5471 x 4103) image of the Logic Board in question.

After some investigation, the LVDS connector appears to be an I-PEX 20474-040E-11 connector for LG/AUO/Samsung displays. I've had this verified by a few sources, and it looks like we're on to a winner.

The connectors can be sourced from either eBay or Aliexpress:

Now here's the problem.

I haven't worked on anything this small before. My tools wouldn't even be close to sufficient for performing this job either, and my skills are at a beginner level at best, limiting me mostly to through-hole components and older surface mounts with larger pads.

So my first question is does this job look possible? The rest of the Logic Board works like a dream, and it seems so close to being repaired, so I would like to think so.

Secondly is who should I be asking to perform this job? I'm not sure what repairers if any to approach, and I don't even know where to start in Adelaide, Australia but I may consider sending the board interstate to have this repair performed. I'm thinking this may need to be attempted by a hobbyist rather than a repair centre since I can't even begin to think of one that does soldering like this.

As you can imagine, I'm working to a budget (otherwise I'd just buy a brand new machine), but considering the specs of this machine it seems like it's worth spending a little bit on if there's a chance of bringing it back to life. It would certainly make my studies a bit easier having this machine to work with, that's for sure.

Cheers in advance.

- Michael
    Last edited by iMic; 01-19-2014, 02:59 AM.

Re: Rescue MacBook Pro with Damaged LVDS

first you need the schematic for the board so you can see what pins goes where.

about the soldering job.
    i did my share or xp with cellphones its not that hard, you just need to be confident on your tools.
    after a few years i realize that i can work even with a cheap 40w wall plugged iron.
    Ex(kb connector).
    on samsung galaxy s3 its very hard to solder the legs because they are so small and only a few weeks ago i manage to find a way to solder them perfectly.
    I touch the leg with the iron and and i putt the solder on top of the leg and when its hot it melts on the pin. on small pins i use the iron from a Gordak station because it got a small tip(it heats the leg slower but you can do the job nice)

I think in your case you need find the location of the pins where they go and just jump it with a wire
    Attached Files
    Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

The pads are still on the Logic Board, but the pins are missing from the connector. Even if I were to solder a wire to where the pads on the board trace back to, I couldn't solder it to the connector block.

So, I'll have to replace the connector itself.

Since the pins on the connector match up directly with the pad below, wouldn't it simply be a case of removing the old connector and soldering down a replacement connector? I'm not sure why schematics are required since it's just a replacement of that connector, unless there's something I've overlooked.

Of course, if the pads on the Logic Board were damaged, I can see where a schematic would come in handy.

The real challenge is in removing the old block and soldering the new one down without stuffing it up. Ideally I'd be able to pay a little to have this done and know it'll be done with the right equipment and expertise... but I'm not sure who to turn to for something like that. Not even sure where I should be asking or what kind of businesses to ask. If I had to try it myself I would, but I think it would take a little more know-how than I currently have.
      Last edited by iMic; 01-19-2014, 04:24 AM.

Comment

i did the same thing the old connect i just use a hot air gun to rip it off then i use and uven to desolder the new one from a scrap board.
        if you got a desoldered socket its easy; if you take it from a scrap board that`s hard
        Last edited by dj_ricoh; 01-19-2014, 08:48 AM.
        Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

Hello, I have the exact same fix and exact same board. Here is the schematic on post #1735 of this thread.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...8#post19292478

You need a hot air rework station to desolder the old one. Must have sorry but they are cheaper than buying a whole new computer. Look for Aoyue on amazon or ebay for a rework station. Then you could solder on a new connector but it's not going to be easy. I hope that helps. Find someone in your town who can do it. It's not going to cost that much. less than $200 US.

Comment

i have desoldered it with hot air at 400°. not damage at connector. just when u solder it back (i used normal solder) pay attention to not touch the plastic.

im on that forum too. u can find my last repair on the macbook problem thread page

Comment

Working...
            X