Another KDL-40W600B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another KDL-40W600B

I was just given this TV with an estimate invoice from the local TV repair. The TV tech wrote "power supply" on the ticket, but also wrote part numbers with prices for two unrelated parts, a main and a 51-pin LVDS cable.

The set is dead, which makes me question the need for any LVDS. With ohm checks, I determined that on the LD board a fuse (F1002) is open and its' load side reads 0 ohms to ground. This remains the case with cables disconnected. All the fuses on the BAXL "main" board read continuity and none show low resistance to ground.

Ebay has several LD boards to choose from, one new. So I'm waiting on a spare board.

Given the incredible miniaturization of components, I don't plan on trying to repair the bad board. I'm open to suggestions or willing to ship it to any recapper who would like to have a whack at it.

My thanks to the Badcaps member(s) who uploaded service manuals for the chassis, which I found by searching for the model number.

Link to board photos here:
    Originally posted by triplefour View Post
    Last edited by steves7839; 08-07-2020, 06:49 PM.

Re: Another KDL-40W600B

The replacement LD board appears to be working. After install I got two blinks fault code and the TV responded to remote input. It would not power on or turn on backlights though.

While checking fuses on the original main board (BAXL bd), I shorted pins at CN9101. Now F9101 looks open and the TV lost the blink code, so back to dead set.
    Questions for the forum:

1. Could anyone confirm my probe is actually on F9101 in the third photo? Hard to tell with two smaller but identical components closer to the fuse legend.

2. Standby 3.3V is showing present at CN1001 pin 6 on the power board (LD) and at the corresponding pin at the main (BAXL), per my last photo. No fuses have 3.3V though. Can someone suggest a test point for it on the main and the tiny IR receiver board?

3. While the two-blink code was on, I attempted a firmware update and a hard reset, but got no response from the TV. I did confirm the remote operates another Sony TV. Any suggestions?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by steves7839; 08-18-2020, 07:00 PM. Reason: add detail and pic

Comment

Your photo's are too small to really see the point where your meter is connected.
      Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Here is a bigger photo of the fuse I asked about above. See the red outline.
        Attached Files

Comment

Pictures are too blur and low res for me to zoom in to see the fuse.
          Never stop learning
          Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
          http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Here are some more photos.
            Attached Files

Comment

Yes that is.the fuse... you have the service manual so check the correspondence of the fault and the blinking, 6 are the backlight, but 2 i don't remember, maybe again backlight.

Comment

Progress, finally. I replaced the BAXL “main” board. Manual says you must update firmware after board replacement. For a day it just flashed red/green. Finally I used the remote sequence disp-5-Vol--power and got a brief input signal screen, then a 6-blink code. Read somewhere about how to force an update. Power disconnected, insert usb, connect power while holding chassis power button. Now it displays rotating arrows indicating update in progress. Leaving it to do it’s thing until tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by steves7839 View Post
                  Now it displays rotating arrows indicating update in progress. Leaving it to do it's thing until tomorrow.
                  As of today the TV has been "updating" for some 20 hours. Stuck in a loop. I'm cautious that interrupting an update in "progress" is not a good idea. Suggestions?

Comment

What says about 6 blinks? Is it backlight problem? If the update doesn't finish maybe the new main board is not the right replacement. It see a different partition structure or something else in software basis and it remain in an unespected end or dead rail..

Comment

Originally posted by Davi.p View Post
                      What says about 6 blinks? Is it backlight problem? If the update doesn't finish maybe the new main board is not the right replacement.
                      The backlight is coming on to illuminate the update icon.
                      There has been no 6-blink code (panel fault) after I forced the set into updating. It just never finished. I'm going to try again tomorrow with a different USB drive.

Comment

"There has been no 6-blink code (panel fault)" Correction; 6 blinks =Backlight fault.

Comment

Time to rename this thread "Annoying KDL-40W600B".

I bought a tested BAXL board off electroparts. (See post #8 in this thread) Installed, the TV only showed a menu once, for a second. The forced firmware update with USB took forever and the USB drive showed no data access. Its' LED never blinked.

I've chatted with Sony tech support. They walked me through a power reset and concluded the TV had hardware issues.

Electroparts sent me an exchange board. As soon as power is connected, the TV standby light blinks continuous green and amber. Other than that, no response to remote, pushbuttons or ^I/O reset. Per one of the chassis manuals, this blink means "panel ID error".

I understand I should go into Service Mode with (Disp)(5)(Vol+)(I/O) to enter the correct model and serial numbers. But with the first main board, there was no picture in response to this key sequence so I got nowhere.

Solution suggestions?
                          Last edited by steves7839; 09-29-2020, 07:11 PM.

Comment

The right step that can be made is a copy or swap of the settings eprom from original baxl to the new one, in alternative another baxl change, that board is not exactly for your model (different panel)

Comment

Originally posted by steves7839 View Post
                              There has been no 6-blink code (panel fault) after I forced the set into updating.
                              Turns out the forced update was the wrong road to take. The set shows the familiar red and green LED, meaning "Error of panel id" from the common chassis service manual.

Ignoring that, I went into service mode and actually got the service screen....for about two seconds, then black screen and the six-blink red code. This is a solid, repeatable fault. So the panel does have an issue, probably an LED strip. Ordering an LED tester online.

Comment

Green amber flash usually means update needed, you might be going about it wrong, try this: make sure no other devices are plugged into any usb on tv-turn tv on plug thumb drive in with update on it then just watch and see what it does, it may prompt for action it may not if it takes over an hour there's something wrong have to stop, no joy that way then try having tv off-put thumb drive in and hit power button on tv and see what it does, try it with the board that is blinking green and amber if it don't work it could be an error in preparing the thumb drive or incompatible thumb drive possibly.
                                Last edited by nomoresonys; 10-04-2020, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Success! All LED strips worked separately under test. I sprayed all connections with contact cleaner and powered up the TV. Backlights and green status LED come on and stay on.
                                  ����

Comment

Good to hear, another save.

Comment

Don't sing victory, the fault will come back, there is an intermittent faulty led i guess.

Comment

Ok then davi p, guess there's JUST no way it was a bad/dirty connection.

Comment

Working...
                                        X