Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Epson 5040UB Projector No Lamp Strike Stuck in Startup - Blinking Status/Lamp Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epson 5040UB Projector No Lamp Strike Stuck in Startup - Blinking Status/Lamp Lights

Hoping someone here can put me on the right track. I'm trying to troubleshoot/flowchart the "internal projector error" on my newly acquired Facebook Marketplace bought Epson 5040UB projector (3LED, not DLP). Owner said it needed new lamp, actually error code blink pattern indicates "Internal Projector Error, call Epson support". Unit is out of warranty as of 8/19

Here's what happens:

1) Power on
    2) Blue power indicator lights and the lens cover motor opens the lens cover, light fan noise heard
    3) Blue status light flashes for appx 4 minutes
    4) Blue power indicator light goes off, lens cover motor engages and closes the lens cover, blue status light continues flashing and orange lamp light starts flashing and fan kicks in high gear
    5) After about 2-3 minutes, the fan goes into low speed and nothing else happens

I've tried reseating the lamp, bought a new lamp and tried it and no joy. I've also removed the lamp cover to observe the lamp during the startup sequence and it does not light.

I'm thinking next steps are to check that I'm getting power to the lamp via the two pins the lamp connects to, but not sure if that's even possible given the high voltage required to strike the lamp. What would next steps be?
    Last edited by vestaviascott; 07-29-2020, 06:16 AM.

Re: Epson 5040UB Projector No Lamp Strike Stuck in Startup - Blinking Status/Lamp Lig

dont even think about measuring lamp voltage . it will blow your meter up like mine did .

Comment

Re: Epson 5040UB Projector No Lamp Strike Stuck in Startup - Blinking Status/Lamp Lig

you need to tear it down, and first things need to check 2 points
      1- the mechanical of the lens cover. on the boards there are micro switch with 3 gate. exam them manually with beep ton DM.
      2- there are small FAN which blew air on the 3LCD ( not 3LED as you wrote ) if there no move or slow move of it will cause error.

Comment

inspect the lamp cover drawer and area. Manual says the bulb will not light if the drawer is not properly installed. This indicates that there is a lamp drawer switch or equivalent (which is normal for most projectors). Actually, that is a test... what happens with the light sequence if there is no drawer in place? Similarly, others test like that can be done...eg. disconnected lamp and resulting indicators.

As suggested, do not expect to measure voltages at the lamp as the ballast puts out "over voltage" during the strike to start the bulb... very high voltages.
        Last edited by budwich; 07-29-2020, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
          inspect the lamp cover drawer and area. Manual says the bulb will not light if the drawer is not properly installed. This indicates that there is a lamp drawer switch or equivalent (which is normal for most projectors). Actually, that is a test... what happens with the light sequence if there is no drawer in place? Similarly, others test like that can be done...eg. disconnected lamp and resulting indicators.
          Thanks. Yes, I've tried with lamp cover securely screwed and then when testing for strike with lamp cover removed, I've shimmed the cover switch closed. The projector will not even light up if that switch is open.

The light sequence remains unchanged wether there is a lamp in or not. I first get 4 blue status light blinks when the cord is plugged in, then when I push the power button, it starts the blinking blue status light for about 4 minutes (apparently as it goes through its checks and to boot sequence), with low active fans heard. Then after about four minutes it appears to go into its failsafe, the power light goes off, the shutter closes, the fans go into overdrive and the blink pattern is flashing blue status light and flashing orange lamp light.

Comment

Originally posted by Diah View Post
            you need to tear it down, and first things need to check 2 points
            1- the mechanical of the lens cover. on the boards there are micro switch with 3 gate. exam them manually with beep ton DM.
            2- there are small FAN which blew air on the 3LCD ( not 3LED as you wrote ) if there no move or slow move of it will cause error.
            Thanks for your feedback and help. On point number 1, the lens cover appears to operate fully. It opens fully when power is pressed and it closes fully when it goes into failsafe 4 minutes after attempting unsuccessfully to boot.

On point number 2, yes the lamp fan is operating fully. I left the cover open and manually propped the switch to observe the fan operation during the attempted startup with and without a lamp.

I'm thinking one of four issues perhaps:

1) Stuck dynamic iris (would fans operate if iris is faulty?)

2) Ballast failure (would fans operate if ballast is faulty?)

3) Motherboard failure (one or more component on the MB is shorted). I have a Flir camera charging now to check for thermal hotspots/shorts during the boot startup sequence.

4) Both of my lamps (one is brand new but not OEM) are faulty, but I think this a long shot because I'm not getting the correct blink LED for lamp failure. I'm getting blink pattern for "internal projector error", which points more to issues 1-3.
            Last edited by vestaviascott; 07-29-2020, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vestaviascott View Post

I'm thinking one of four issues perhaps:

1) Stuck dynamic iris (would fans operate if iris is faulty?)

2) Ballast failure (would fans operate if ballast is faulty?)

3) Motherboard failure (one or more component on the MB is shorted). I have a Flir camera charging now to check for thermal hotspots/shorts during the boot startup sequence.

4) Both of my lamps (one is brand new but not OEM) are faulty, but I think this a long shot because I'm not getting the correct blink LED for lamp failure. I'm getting blink pattern for "internal projector error", which points more to issues 1-3.
              with out tearing it down impossible to find the typical fault at Epson. so i suggest you to start only with POINT 1. ( NOTICE any TEST you do and turning the set with out LAMP make no sense )

1- yes if the iris stuck at close position will give the same fault. if its stuck at open it will display warning then go to shut down same as you have right now ( take out the IRIS from it place.. INSPECT / CLEAN / move it with hand many time / Oil the shift of them ) then put them back as they should )

Comment

Thanks. Yes, I've tried with lamp cover securely screwed and then when testing for strike with lamp cover removed, I've shimmed the cover switch closed. The projector will not even light up if that switch is open.

The light sequence remains unchanged wether there is a lamp in or not. I first get 4 blue status light blinks when the cord is plugged in, then when I push the power button, it starts the blinking blue status light for about 4 minutes (apparently as it goes through its checks and to boot sequence), with low active fans heard. Then after about four minutes it appears to go into its failsafe, the power light goes off, the shutter closes, the fans go into overdrive and the blink pattern is flashing blue status light and flashing orange lamp light.
                thanks for the update... the purpose of the tests was to try to isolate potential areas. You can probably expand the "idea" by doing a couple others ones once you open the unit up to complement your "heating / thermal image" test. Not sure what connectors are readily available for disconnect but possibly one associated with the input for the ballast might be good at isolating an area along with possibly one for the iris / shutter.

My guess would be that you either have a bad second bulb or ballast as the most likely source for the issue. Not sure that the system can readily tell the difference between a bulb and ballast as the two work in "tandem" to cause the "light function".

In terms of electrical tests, perhaps the boards have some labeling on them for basic electrical points (ie. input voltage, standby, etc) that can be checked.

Comment

1- yes if the iris stuck at close position will give the same fault. if its stuck at open it will display warning then go to shut down same as you have right now ( take out the IRIS from it place.. INSPECT / CLEAN / move it with hand many time / Oil the shift of them ) then put them back as they should )
                  OK, that's good to know. I'm going to research youtube for iris repair/inspection videos to see how to do it and what to take apart to get to it.

( NOTICE any TEST you do and turning the set with out LAMP make no sense )
                  Not quite sure I understand what you are saying here.

Comment

Not quite sure I understand what you are saying here.
                    mean never turn on the set on with out lamp and the lamp cover switch should be switch correct
                    BTW yesterday i got epson EB 824/h and it was in condition when you press power it lid blinking green for about 1 minute then it change to orange blinking together with TEMP and LAMP,and the FAN speed went high. it was the IRIS stuck at close option and don't move , there was no issue by move it with hand. the sensor surface was blind by dust cleaned it with air spray then projector run again quite and smoothly.

Comment

mean never turn on the set on with out lamp and the lamp cover switch should be switch correct
                      OK, I got you. This projector will not power on unless the lamp cover switch is depressed. I only did a test without the lamp to confirm if the blinking lights change. They blink the same regardless if lamp is present or not.

BTW yesterday i got epson EB 824/h and it was in condition when you press power it lid blinking green for about 1 minute then it change to orange blinking together with TEMP and LAMP,and the FAN speed went high. it was the IRIS stuck at close option and don't move , there was no issue by move it with hand. the sensor surface was blind by dust cleaned it with air spray then projector run again quite and smoothly.
                      Interesting, my TEMP light has never lit in any test. I only have flashing status + flashing lamp and fans with power light off.

I'm going to check the iris but I'm starting to think its NOT dynamic iris issue since there is a specific LED blink pattern for that and I'm not seeing it (flashing STATUS, flashing LAMP and flashing TEMP). I'm thinking a chip on the motherboard has fried or shorted component. Just haven't had a chance to put it on the bench (my kitchen counter) to do a FLIR camera test yet.

Comment

Interesting, my TEMP light has never lit in any test. I only have flashing status + flashing lamp and fans with power light off..
                        in this case yours IRIS not the issue at all, EPSON HW and chips on boards very stable never faced problem with them at all... you my have 2 possible issue
                        1- The ballast or lamp
                        2- some how corrupted firmware via firmware upgrade in wrong way.. ( you can due i again ) as i think you have boot on the epson which can connect to PC and have access to NAND for firmware upgrade & refresh

Comment

in this case yours IRIS not the issue at all, EPSON HW and chips on boards very stable never faced problem with them at all... you my have 2 possible issue
                          1- The ballast or lamp
                          2- some how corrupted firmware via firmware upgrade in wrong way.. ( you can due i again ) as i think you have boot on the epson which can connect to PC and have access to NAND for firmware upgrade & refresh
                          Thanks. I'm going to try to reinstall the firmware and see what happens. Nothing to lose, LOL!

Comment

Thanks. I'm going to try to reinstall the firmware and see what happens. Nothing to lose, LOL!
                            Well I did the firmware update and still get the same blink pattern. I guess I'm going to pull the cover and check the MB with the Flir.

Comment

if it was stored where its damp like mine was it could be corrosion on the integrated circuits pins ... fixed be a damn good scrubbing with soapy water then hose down with isa then a good blast with compressed air .

Comment

UPDATE: I finally got around to taking FLIR shots of the motherboard during the failed boot sequence. It appears that an IC is getting really hot, a little over 200F. Here are the pics if someone can offer suggestions based on the thermal pics:

Suspected failed IC is the bottom right hot spot:

IC4706 in the pic below is >200F

IC4796 has marking AY7397 but I could not find a match on mouser.com:

IC4706 and IC4707 appear to be the same but one is > 200F and the other is a little over 100F:

The circuits are in the middle of the pic here and appear to be twin circuits with same components:

Last edited by vestaviascott; 08-06-2020, 08:45 AM.

Comment

AY are DC to DC PWM (Pulse-width modulation) step down.
                                  with easy language of my...the boot didn't receive signal LAMP ON, it will not step down. it keep on high pulse ( FAN High SPEED ) ( ERROR BLINKING ) this why they become warm.
                                  Last edited by Diah; 08-06-2020, 10:38 AM.

Comment

AY are DC to DC PWM (Pulse-width modulation) step down.
                                    with easy language of my...the boot didn't receive signal LAMP ON, it will not step down. it keep on high pulse ( FAN High SPEED ) ( ERROR BLINKING ) this why they become warm.
                                    OK, so the 200F reading would be normal for this chip then under this circumstance? In that case, perhaps my problem is somewhere else on the board but not necessarily showing up as a thermal tell tale? Also, why do you think the twin IC next to it, also an AY7397, is showing about half the heat signature of this one?

If its not the chip, would you say the most likely issue is the ballast? Or alternately, the replacement lamp I bought is bad? Its brand new, although not OEM and about 1/3 the cost of OEM. But if the issue is the lamp, I would expect the blink code to point to lamp replacement, not internal projector error, so perhaps signs pointing to ballast failure, explains why the lamp not lighting and explains why the chip gets hot due to lamp not lighting? But not an odd thing that this is the only chip on the whole board to react thermally to lamp not lighting?
                                    Last edited by vestaviascott; 08-06-2020, 12:55 PM.

Comment

OK, so the 200F reading would be normal for this chip then under this circumstance? In that case, perhaps my problem is somewhere else on the board but not necessarily showing up as a thermal tell tale? Also, why do you think the twin IC next to it, also an AY7397, is showing about half the heat signature of this one?

If its not the chip, would you say the most likely issue is the ballast? Or alternately, the replacement lamp I bought is bad? Its brand new, although not OEM and about 1/3 the cost of OEM. But if the issue is the lamp, I would expect the blink code to point to lamp replacement, not internal projector error, so perhaps signs pointing to ballast failure, explains why the lamp not lighting and explains why the chip gets hot due to lamp not lighting? But not an odd thing that this is the only chip on the whole board to react thermally to lamp not lighting?
                                      well, using TEMP camera wont be ideal to narrow issue.. the first things you need to go down from the first boards which related to the error... and it was the ballast / lamp.. lamp you got new one.. but you didnt exam the ballast. start there and we can help to find on it if there issue

Comment

I made several attempts to get to the ballast, removing as many screws as I could from the components above it but finally had to call it a night. The ballast is under the lamp fan at the very bottom front right corner of the projector. I'm going to research if I can find any instructions on how to get to it short of taking the entire projector apart.

Comment

Working...
                                        X