20x WD 300gb velociraptors
      Lucky bastard...

At least somebody's having luck.
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Hit up the flea market yesterday. Came home with:
        $10 - 2006 17" 2.16 GHz Core Duo Macbook Pro. Works great, sans battery. That's expected.
        $15 - 2007 15" 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro. Motherboard seems to be dead, possibly the 8600 GT on it. Not worth the effort of fixing.
        $10 - Fluke 73 III. Super greasy, cleaned up nice.
        $10 - Axis Q1602 camera with Tamron M13VG288 lens and a Ram mount. Works great.
        $5 - Lambda SR35-5 5V 7A PSU. Need to dig into this one, initial test I get a whole nothing from it. Verified power gets past the DC rectifier and didn't bother going any further.
        $5 - Box of 5 23 GB Sony Professional Discs. Used, but interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Compgeke View Post
          Hit up the flea market yesterday. Came home with:
          $10 - 2006 17" 2.16 GHz Core Duo Macbook Pro. Works great, sans battery. That's expected.
          $15 - 2007 15" 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro. Motherboard seems to be dead, possibly the 8600 GT on it. Not worth the effort of fixing.
          $10 - Fluke 73 III. Super greasy, cleaned up nice.
          $10 - Axis Q1602 camera with Tamron M13VG288 lens and a Ram mount. Works great.
          $5 - Lambda SR35-5 5V 7A PSU. Need to dig into this one, initial test I get a whole nothing from it. Verified power gets past the DC rectifier and didn't bother going any further.
          $5 - Box of 5 23 GB Sony Professional Discs. Used, but interesting.

Woow:o
          Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Compgeke View Post
            Came home with:
            QFT, so typical, it seems. I usually got used laptops with a bad battery, IIRC.
            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
              Lucky bastard...

At least somebody's having luck.
              QFT! I wouldn't mind scoring on a slew of good 'Raptors!
              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

fix the mac - people pay stupid money for mac's

and after watching some rossman, i'd clean the boards with ipa and spray them with a coating - they almost seem like they are designed to slowly self-destruct.

Comment

If they're still there, I'll pull their batteries as that's needless weight to ship.
                  Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                  Excellent. No worries, the batteries are probably toast anyway.... Anytime I get a used UPS, it gets fresh batteries.
                  I'd been away for too long (trapped in the house much of the past month) and they were gone when I managed to stop in, today. Apparently, they've found someone who will buy them by the pallet (which makes it convenient to get rid of them before large qualities accumulate). This happens from time to time -- until the buyer realizes just how many of them he'll end up "getting" (which is usually more than he can sell off!) and suddenly wants out of the deal!

But, I managed to pull a bunch of SCA drives out of a server (ISTR you were interested in those?). I'll toss a SCSI HBA in a PC (my only SCSI machine is a Sun that I haven't fired up in a while and I'd have to run headless) and wipe them (a condition of me taking any drives out of the facility) and see if they have any useful life, left.

Does "37228" seem like the proper destination? PM if you need more privacy...

Comment

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post
                    I'd been away for too long (trapped in the house much of the past month) and they were gone when I managed to stop in, today. Apparently, they've found someone who will buy them by the pallet (which makes it convenient to get rid of them before large qualities accumulate). This happens from time to time -- until the buyer realizes just how many of them he'll end up "getting" (which is usually more than he can sell off!) and suddenly wants out of the deal!

But, I managed to pull a bunch of SCA drives out of a server (ISTR you were interested in those?). I'll toss a SCSI HBA in a PC (my only SCSI machine is a Sun that I haven't fired up in a while and I'd have to run headless) and wipe them (a condition of me taking any drives out of the facility) and see if they have any useful life, left.

Does "37228" seem like the proper destination? PM if you need more privacy...
                    yes, that is the correct place....you must have the rest. Thanks for your efforts on the UPS's though! SCA's are used in scsi retro builds with adapters...and the adapters are something I have tons of!
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                    http://folding.stanford.edu/
                    Team : 49813
                    Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

yes, that is the correct place....you must have the rest. Thanks for your efforts on the UPS's though! SCA's are used in scsi retro builds with adapters...and the adapters are something I have tons of!
                      So, your adapters transition from the SCA to 68 pin ribbon (D connectors)? I.e., are 68pin drives also worth watching for?

Comment

yes

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                          yes
                          So, they're completely passive devices -- effectively just splitting out power and changing the mechanical configuration of the connector?

Comment

yes, - usually.
                            i have some i used in sgi's - they are a pcb with an 80pin header on one side,
                            a 68 and sometimes 50pin header and power socket on the other side.
                            other than that you have some pins for device-id and a fuse.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                              yes, - usually.
                              i have some i used in sgi's - they are a pcb with an 80pin header on one side,
                              a 68 and sometimes 50pin header and power socket on the other side.
                              other than that you have some pins for device-id and a fuse.
                              OK, I have a few like that (as well as narrow 50 to wide 68).

But, most of my adapters are "active" -- IDE-SCSI, FC/AL-SATA. etc. (I'm sorely tempted to, someday, stack a series of these end-to-end in Rube Goldberg fashion just to "prove" they all work, as expected).

Comment

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post
                                So, your adapters transition from the SCA to 68 pin ribbon (D connectors)? I.e., are 68pin drives also worth watching for?
                                Ohh yes!! 68-pin of any size!
                                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                Team Stats

Comment

Ohh yes!! 68-pin of any size!
                                  OK. I think there were some machines with smaller (36G) "wide" drives. I'll see if they're still there on my next visit.

Comment

It's been a good month for HDD acquisitions.... Got 10x Hitachi 450gb 15k RPM SAS drives. I don't think I've ever had a Hitachi HDD.....
                                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                    Team Stats

Comment

A blue Dell Latitude E4300 with a good (85% capacity) battery and charger for $21:

And A Kenwood KR-4400 27 Wpc Stereo Receiver (circa 1974) for $20. I didn't really "need" it, but my dad had one when I was a kid (which was unfortunately lost in a move many years ago) so I always wanted to get my hands on another one and couldn't pass it up for that price. It needed a set of dial lamps (which Kenwood annoyingly soldered in instead of using sockets but I replaced them with LEDs so it shouldn't need to be done again for a long time) and has a couple chips on the wood veneer ends but otherwise is in great condition for a 45 year old receiver.

Attached Files
                                      Last edited by dmill89; 01-30-2019, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Scored a big haul of free stuff from an repair shop:

DFI Infinity NFII-M2 - nForce 4 SLI, Skt AM2
                                        ASUS M2NPV-VM - nF6150+430, AM2
                                        Jetway N2PAP-LITE - nForce 2, Skt 462 - I'm willing to bet this doesn't POST, looks like NOBODY replaced the GSCs and I suspect them being bad without any visible bulge.
                                        ASUS P4C800 Rev2.00A - i875P, Skt 478
                                        ASUS M2N 1394 - nForce 430 MCP, Skt AM2
                                        MSI G41M-P26 - Intel G41, LGA775
                                        ASUS K8N - nForce 3 250, Skt 754
                                        ASUS A7N8X-X - nForce 2, Skt. 462 - blown KZG yet it surprisingly did POST!!
                                        MSI K9N4 Ultra - nForce 550 Ultra, AM2 - dead chipset probably since it powers up as soon as I flip the switch on my PSU.

PS3 fat, CECHG04 - dead (YLOD), came with 250GB Seagate HDD
                                        PS3 fat, CECHH04 - dead (same cause), had an golden Playboy bunny on top

And that's pretty much all. I know the owner and he said he's got a lot more but he needs to sort out all of his stuff in there.
                                        He also has a nice KME/K-Mex case I might ask him about since that case also has a handle and I quite like the design.
                                        (no PSU or anything in it, which means I can store a nice recapped KME unit or even a 250W FSP if I wanted.)
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by Dan81; 01-31-2019, 12:26 PM.
                                        Main rig:
                                        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                        Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                                        16GB DDR3-1600
                                        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                        FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                                        120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                                        Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                                          ASUS A7N8X-X - nForce 2, Skt. 462 - blown KZG yet it surprisingly did POST!!
                                          I dumped mine, after many, if not most of the KZG-series caps, did its version of a volcano in Italy...
                                          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Working...
                                          X