Sharp LC-70LE600U Won't Turn On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sharp LC-70LE600U Won't Turn On

Did you try a reset? might be: hit menu-scroll over to initial setup-scroll down to reset, then follow the prompts.

Comment

Forcing the tv on with Vol(-) and input, and pluging in the tv is how service mode is entered, When you do that do you get the letter<K> on the screen? Since the tv does come on and work at some point I would think the fault is on the main board and it is either a bad eeprom ic or a bad bga connection on the large processor ic. The heat on the t-con chip is likely normal.

I would try freezing the eeprom, this sometimes will work and the tv will read the data correctly and the tv will turn on and work normally.
      To do this: unplug the tv, freeze ic8401, wait 5~20 seconds, plug in the tv and try turning on. I see shopjimmy offers an eeprom which might fix this issue.
      I thought it might be a backlight led problem, but if it was, it should have sent the error to the main and the led would be flashing the fault code. and entering the service mode should bypass this and the tv should stay on and not instantly turn off when the buttons are released.
      Last edited by R_J; 09-04-2019, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
        Did you try a reset? might be: hit menu-scroll over to initial setup-scroll down to reset, then follow the prompts.
        I did do a reset to factory settings. No change.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
          Forcing the tv on with Vol(-) and input, and pluging in the tv is how service mode is entered, When you do that do you get the letter<K> on the screen?
          I'd seen videos showing this. No. I do not get a K in a box. This is an older tv so I don't know if that makes a difference. I believe it was purchased in 2013.

Since the tv does come on and work at some point I would think the fault is on the main board and it is either a bad eeprom ic or a bad bga connection on the large processor ic. The heat on the t-con chip is likely normal.
          I wondered if that heated chip was actually normal, it's just that nothing else on either board (main or tcon (I go touching things on the power supply!)) get remotely close in temperature.

I would try freezing the eeprom, this sometimes will work and the tv will read the data correctly and the tv will turn on and work normally.
          To do this: unplug the tv, freeze ic8401, wait 5~20 seconds, plug in the tv and try turning on. I see shopjimmy offers an eeprom which might fix this issue.
          I don't have anything with which to freeze the eeprom.

I thought it might be a backlight led problem, but if it was, it should have sent the error to the main and the led would be flashing the fault code. and entering the service mode should bypass this and the tv should stay on and not instantly turn off when the buttons are released.
          The tv DOES stay on in service mode. It becomes fully functional.

Comment

SCRATCH THAT! I just got the K for the first time. Is there anything that can be done with that?

Comment

Don't you have the service manual? If not you can get it here https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ht=LC-70LE600U
              When the <K> is on the screen,you can enter the service adjustment mode by pressing and holding VOL(-) and CH(▼)
              Check normal standby cause and error standby cause:
              You can also clear errors on page 9

BUT DO BE CAREFULL There is no need to adjust anything and there is no need to do any of the RESET as that resets the adjustments on that page.
              Last edited by R_J; 09-04-2019, 03:20 PM.

Comment

I'd seen that thread but didn't notice the service manual links! Thanks for pointing that out! I will check those out later today.

Comment

Check lamp error count, thinking it will be at max, reset to 0, make note of any faults and clear them, be VERY CAREFUL in that service menu.
                  Last edited by nomoresonys; 09-05-2019, 07:41 AM.

Comment

So I just got into the service menu on the tv and I'm including a couple pics, one showing page 1 and one of page 9.

Can you guys take a look at the values on page 9 and tell me if they give any hints as to what may be wrong?

Check normal standby cause and error standby cause:
                    You can also clear errors on page 9
                    I see a "STANDBY CAUSE RESET" but that's the closest thing and it just says "OFF"
                    Oh wait... I just saw the NORMAL/ERROR STANDBY CAUSE lines on page 1. Those values seem logical to me as if there were nothing wrong?

Check lamp error count, thinking it will be at max, reset to 0, make note of any faults and clear them, be VERY CAREFUL in that service menu.
                    L ERR RESET says 6... is that the lamp error count? Should I change that to 0? I also don't know what faults I'd be seeing to make note of and then clear.

--------------
                    Should I set the EEP CLEAR to ON?
                    --------------

Also... I included a pic of page one because it shows TEMP SENSOR 192, and on page 9 it shows TEMP CAUTION 139 and TEMP SHUTDOWN 135. Are these related? And can this be part of the issue?

Sorry for my ignorance, I just don't want to jump to conclusions OR do anything inside this menu without knowing that I'm doing the right thing!!!
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by befuddled; 09-05-2019, 11:48 AM.

Comment

If you highlight L ERR RESET and press enter, you should be able to set it to 0 by using the < > arrow keys
                      This is likely why the tv won't turn on, 6 is the maximum for the error count.

I think the temp data is wrong, why have shutdown at 135 but caution at 139? I would change them to something like 200, that 192 could be wrong data causing the tv to shut down also. Those will likely be in the range of 0~255 and not temperature.
                      Last edited by R_J; 09-05-2019, 02:20 PM.

Comment

If you highlight L ERR RESET and press enter, you should be able to set it to 0 by using the < > arrow keys
                        This is likely why the tv won't turn on, 6 is the maximum for the error count.

I think the temp data is wrong, why have shutdown at 135 but caution at 139? I would change them to something like 200, that 192 could be wrong data causing the tv to shut down also. Those will likely be in the range of 0~255 and not themerature.
                        LOL. I thought the 135 and 139 figures seemed a little odd to me! Glad someone else thinks so too!

I'll try setting the L ERR RESET to 0 first and test it. If it doesn't work, then I'll change those temp values. I will give these things a try and get back to ya!

Comment

So setting the lamp error count back down to zero worked. I lugged the thing out of the garage, around to the back of the house down the hill and into the family room in the basement. Hooked it up to my system... very not impressed with tv's sound hookup options, mainly the lack of optical audio cable signal even though it HAS A PORT! But I digress. Anyway, within an hour or so, the faded triangle in the lower left corner doubled in size and the tv shut off. The good news is that it did start blinking a code. But since I was done for the day and trying to watch tv, I just unhooked it and set it aside and hooked up my original tv again.

The fact that more of the lights went out right before it turned off pretty much tells me that those burned lights are more than likely the problem (even though that faded triangle has been on the screen for one to two YEARS).

How expensive are these strips, and how difficult are they to change them? I'm not sure I want to even bother at this point though, given the lack of compatibility with my sound system.

I wonder what I could get for it if I put on craigslist or facebook marketplace (after fixing, of course!).

Comment

Originally posted by befuddled View Post
                            How expensive are these strips, and how difficult are they to change them? I'm not sure I want to even bother at this point though, given the lack of compatibility with my sound system.

I wonder what I could get for it if I put on craigslist or facebook marketplace (after fixing, of course!).
                            From China, not very expensive at all. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33047722408.html I believe they are the same as the new ones sold on ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sharp-LC-70...y/152399107128
                            You need three strips I believe.

Also available from Shipjimmy https://www.shopjimmy.com/sony-70inc...dl-70r550a.htm

Changing the strips is easy. It's taking the 70" LCD panel out of it's frame to get to them that's the tricky bit.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                              From China, not very expensive at all. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33047722408.html I believe they are the same as the new ones sold on ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sharp-LC-70...y/152399107128
                              You need three strips I believe.

Also available from Shipjimmy https://www.shopjimmy.com/sony-70inc...dl-70r550a.htm

Changing the strips is easy. It's taking the 70" LCD panel out of it's frame to get to them that's the tricky bit.
                              Thank you for that! I found a pretty decent how-to on the youtube that makes me think I can probably do the job. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJUtrExz-aI)

I have some rigid foam insulation that I can gently transfer the glass to rather than fully lifting it and leaning it somewhere (yikes).

I went ahead and ordered the strips for less than $16 (on a slow boat) from China.

If the repair is successful, at the very worst, I figure I could get a couple hundred bucks for it. If I destroy it, I could part it out on eBay!

Comment

Big big screen, VERY easy to break, I suggest using suction cups.

Comment

Big big screen, VERY easy to break, I suggest using suction cups.
                                  I don't have suction cups. I'm quite certain I'll be able to transfer the glass to a piece of rigid foam. And like I said, even if I do break it, I can part it out on eBay now that I know the PSB, main, and tcon are all good. A used working PSB goes for $150+, main board $99+, and tcon for $40.

I'll be as careful with it as I can because, quite frankly, I hate failing!

Comment

So.... TWO MONTHS LATER.... I finally got the replacement led strip from China yesterday!

SUCCESS!!

TV is as good as new!

Comment

Well done, glad to hear it, thanks for feedback.

Comment

Working...
                                      X