This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Win7 updates for upgrading to Win10

Yes that is correct, the Home versions of Windows lack the group policy editor.
    It's meant for use in a company network with machines connected to a domain server...

In the attached screenshots you can see a Swedish machine where the Win10 upgrade had been preselected.
    I think it's here the confusion starts, it was still not installing by itself when I rebooted for removing the updates that I list in my OP.
    But as you can see there are many ways a user could get Windows 10 installed while not intending to with a setup like this, the "Kom Igång" (Get Started) button for example.
    It's gone down to the level of installing an update for Java or Adobe Flash where you have to deselect the "free" crap that comes with it so your PC is not infected.
    Very sad.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Per Hansson; 10-17-2015, 05:09 AM.
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

http://www.extremetech.com/computing...-to-windows-10

Comment

http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-s...dows-10-78035/

I think Microsoft is pushing this upgrade quite hard, most likely to save on support costs?
        My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

I added another update: KB3123862 to the list this week a few days prior to the February patch Tuesday...
          FYI KB2952664 is now up to version 16 so for sure the telemetry data is providing MS with lots of data as they keep revising it so often!

I also updated the list of recommended Windows Update Client updates.
          However those with extra big tinfoil hats might not want to go past the October update as the December update: KB3112343 contains this nugget:
          This update enables support for additional upgrade scenarios from Windows 7 to Windows 10,
          and provides a smoother experience when you have to retry an operating system upgrade because of certain failure conditions.
          This update also improves the ability of Microsoft to monitor the quality of the upgrade experience.
          It therefore requires an explanation why I still have put it as a recommended update:
          I have seen reports that for those that have all the updates to upgrade that I list in my first post installed, and thus try the Win10 upgrade it can fail.
          But there seems to be no logic stopping it from trying again.
          So there will be multiple tries to attempt to install Win10.
          The update is released to fix this failure condition would be my best guess.
          And it goes without saying that as long as you don't install the updates in the first list it wont try to upgrade anyway!

This month I also got Windows Update error: 80244019 several times when searching for updates.
          But looking in the Windows Update logfile I saw that it is related to error: 80190194 which basically seems to be just the Windows Update servers being overloaded and not responding.
          At least in this specific case since I did nothing to solve it and a few hours later when I tried again it was working...
          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

i think this spyware may be the downfall of m$ in more ways than one,
            just how much bandwidth do they actually need for all that incoming data!!!

Comment

I'm guessing that's why they want to use your bandwidth. Spread their updates like a virus. A precursor to skynet? The machines are taking over. Where's my hat?
              sigpicThe Sky Is Falling

Comment

i didnt mean the updates, i meant the "telemetry"

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                  i didnt mean the updates, i meant the "telemetry"
                  They make it sound so appealing with the word " telemetry"

Comment

if a virus could re-route the "telemetry" you could use it to do DDOS attacks!!!!

Comment

someone is not upgrading.
                      http://forums.theregister.co.uk/foru...et_to_windows/

this is good.
                      http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-awful-...ut-windows-10/

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                        That will be interesting to see what happens. Maybe the Russians could strongly increase the development of Linux desktop, which would be very good. Frankly, I trust them more than all of the stuff behind Windows 10.

And if anything, I've had nothing but good luck with no-CD cracks for games back in the day from Russian websites. Many other places used to be filled with viruses and spyware.

Comment

Russians are people who had to learn to adapt for themselves.

that's why they have the best hackers, and make all the extreme looking helicopters & offroad trucks.
                          if you cant buy what you actually need, either because of cost or availability - you learn to make it yourself!

Comment

Thank you Per Hansson for keeping this thread updated. All these updates are being removed from my computers. I'd install Vista on my machine before I'd put this junk on anything I own!

Comment

I thought the day would never come but here it is: KB3139929
                              Nonsecurity-related fixes that are included in this security update:
                              KB3146449 Updated Internet Explorer 11 capabilities to upgrade Windows 8.1 and Windows 7

Apparently if your computer is not part of a domain and you open a new tab in IE with this update installed there may be an advertisement for upgrading to Windows 10.
                              Sigh.

Comment

so dont install IE - the computer works without it just fine.

Comment

That's not what this is about, it's about a broken confidence.
                                  Plus if you don't patch IE you can still get exploited.
                                  Because many background programs use the rendering engine for IE in Windows.

Here are some external sources for the info above:
                                  http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft...ernet-explorer
                                  http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft...0-upgrade-push
                                  Last edited by Per Hansson; 03-13-2016, 04:08 AM. Reason: Added links.

Comment

Comment

Just thought I'd throw this one out there. If you want to disable windows updates completely, totally and gloablly....here's what you do.

This setting this stops ANY AND ALL Windows updates & microsoft updates, including criticals! WSUS will still work.

Go to gpedit.msc and navigate to:

Administrative Templates > System > Internet Communication Management > Internet Communication Settings

Set the “Turn off access to all Windows Update features” to Enabled.
                                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                                      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                                      http://folding.stanford.edu/
                                      Team : 49813
                                      Join in!!
                                      Team Stats

Comment

Disabling updates completely for fear of getting Windows 10 is a bad idea.
                                        Far better to install GWX Control Panel and keep updating to keep secure.
                                        http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...rol_panel.html

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                                          Disabling updates completely for fear of getting Windows 10 is a bad idea.
                                          Its easy enough to disable W10 stuff manually. I also don't want telemetry and all the other nonsense. You have to look through updates very carefully these days, and that is very sad from a company like M$. Disabling WU/MU all together isn't the greatest way around it, but it was well worth mentioning.

It would be so nice if MS would put out a 'rollup update' for W7/S2K8R2...I know a service pack is out of the question, as contractually, MS is responsible for another 5 years worth of support after issuing one. This would push Win7 past the 2020 EoL cutoff....but come on guys, a rollup would be great! Annoying as hell I have to download almost a GB worth of updates for each system on my LAN, or track them all down manually.
                                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                                          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                                          http://folding.stanford.edu/
                                          Team : 49813
                                          Join in!!
                                          Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                                          X