Samsung PN50A530S2F Plasma Clicking Transformer BS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung PN50A530S2F Plasma Clicking Transformer BS

So here it is, my current obstacle to more outdoor sunshine. Trying to get this Samsung PN50A530S2F Plasma TV going for a friend of mine and need some guidance on what to try next.

The TV is exhibiting the (popular) transformer clicking when powered on. The screen comes on briefly in a dark grey tone, then off again. No sound at all. Green lights on the Logic Board flash during this cycle.

Replaced a few caps on the Power Board (none looked bad but you never know*) as well as all the ceramic fuses throughout all the boards (PW, Y & X) but to no avale.

I did the process-of-elimination by unplugging each board connector from the Power Unit. The TV stopped clicking when the Main Board (A/V) connector was the only one unplugged.

I have a DMM & a heat gun (if it's going to come to heating up the Main Board for the solder to reflow) so I just need the next logical step in this procedure.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Samsung PN50A530S2F Plasma Clicking Transformer BS

Can you try this test?
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...61&postcount=2
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

In step 4 of those instructions it says, "Unplug the LVDS cable (see below)".

Is the LVDS cable the connector going to the Main A/V Board?

Comment

Yes. In your case, it's the one on the right with the thin blue and red wires.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Ok, test done. The screen came on solid white, then green and then it clicked off. Repeated.

Next line of attack?

Comment

Panel test is good, you have a bad main board.

Comment

Very common with these models. Not certain how to fix it, other than replacing the main board.

Comment

Roger that. Thanks for the help on this.

Comment

The new Main Board didn't work. I'm stumped.

Unplugged just the Main Board's connection to the Power Board and the clicking stopped... just to confirm... again.

Comment

There is a small, quite rare chance that the control board can cause this.
                    Does the control board have a VSON and PSON label on the connector going to the power supply... will be indicated on power supply side usually.

Comment

Yes.

Comment

OK, do the 3-4 jumper this time, but unplug the main board power connector, leave the control board power connected. Does it do the same thing?

Comment

What about the LVDS cable? Is that still attached or detached?

*Edit*
                          Main Board power connector detached + LVDS detached gives no panel lighting and no relay clicking.

With LVDS attached, same as above.
                          Last edited by Kridian; 04-08-2013, 06:17 PM.

Comment

You may need to acquire a 100 to 470 ohm resistor to turn PSON on the main board connector on.

Comment

Which type?

100Ω, 200Ω, 300Ω, 400Ω & 470Ω?

Comment

Typical; any value from 100 to 470 ohm is fine.

Comment

Here are the resistors from my order. Are the small ones going to be a problem?

Comment

Those are fine. You only need one value .
                                    Connect whichever value is your favourite from PS-ON to GND, and one from VS-ON to GND. Check if Vs/Va appear and if 5V etc appear.

Comment

Am I connecting this resistor(s) to the white coupling while it is attached? If so, how do you seat the legs of the resistor so they are not so loosey-goosey?

Comment

You can disconnect the connector from the main board end and put the resistors in the holes there.

Comment

Working...
                                        X