LG TV sound no picture, boards replaced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LG TV sound no picture, boards replaced

The black soot seems to have originated at the center, and possibly the upper right corner (look at the soot deposit on that blue component) of the power board, even though there are not any visible signs of bad components. The capacitors all "look" good. The center of the power board shows soot and also at the center of the back of the power board. This is all black soot which easily wipes away. The main board is clean. The front LED area was absolutely clean, not a smudge.
    Attached Files

Comment

You can get black soot on boards if the tv is in a home with a heavy smoker.

Comment

No smokers in house. Sent you a IM

Comment

You got a new power board right? so get the strips and see if that does it.

Comment

Can you guys give me a recommended setting for the backlight? It seems factory setting is 90. I disabled auto picture and energy saver and got the backlight at 75 right now. Trying to avoid typical LG LED early death.

With the backlight setting turned down, is it really necessary to update the firmware? I do not use the TV with internet. Only other function I use is DVD / Blueray. Thank you for your help.

Comment

As low as you can stand it, I have mine on 5, it goes up to 20, you don't have to update, a lot of people only update if they are having a problem that might be fixed by it, plus some updates can be buggy so I try not to update at least til the update's been out for a while and there's no bad feedback from users.
              Last edited by nomoresonys; 11-01-2019, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by voltman View Post
                Can you guys give me a recommended setting for the backlight? It seems factory setting is 90. I disabled auto picture and energy saver and got the backlight at 75 right now. Trying to avoid typical LG LED early death.

With the backlight setting turned down, is it really necessary to update the firmware? I do not use the TV with internet. Only other function I use is DVD / Blueray. Thank you for your help.
                Are you adjusting the BACKLIGHTS level or the Brightness level? My LG TV's BACKLIGHTS are 0 ~20, The Brightness is 0 ~ 100.
                Never stop learning
                Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Thanks nomoresonys. There is a part of the update called:3. Release History
                  [03.50.50]
                  1. Improve the backlight turn-on failure

Since the problem with this set was the LED's burned out (the power board also burned up) I thought maybe there was something in this update other then turning the backlight down, that might prevent premature LED failure.

Budm I am adjusting "Backlights". My settings go 0 -100 The factory default setting was 90. I got the brightness on factory setting of 50.

My settings now:

Backlight 75
                  Contrast 87
                  Brightness 50
                  Sharpness 26
                  Color 60
                  Tint 0

TV viewed mostly in artificial light
                  Last edited by voltman; 11-01-2019, 09:42 PM. Reason: content

Comment

I believe the firmware updates set the the tv defaults to ECO mode with 70 backlight level. Apps may still run at 100% backlight in Standard mode (access through quick menu). I would run the tv at 60 backlight max. Samsung levels are between 1-20.

Comment

I found out like neilc6 said, when I run the photo/capture app. the backlight reverts back to the 90 default setting. I use this app to view pics and occasional home movies on a USB drive. When I use this app, I solve the problem by putting it on energy saver . My energy saver has 3 settings, “min”, “med”, and “maximum”. I put it on “minimum”. The backlight setting number does not work on the energy setting, but I estimate it to be about 60 on minimum. When I shut the energy saver off, it reverts back to my user settings. This is easy enough to live with.

One thing, when testing the power board at the two LED outputs, with the LED's disconnected, I used two different multimeters. The cheap craftsman was not fast enough to read the peak voltage before the board would shut down. All the readings I got were inconsistent and varied a lot. I used an older Fluke multimeter and it would read 25VDC before shutting down. The specs are Minimum 51.4 VDC at each channel. The Fluke was also inconsistent and varied. I don't know if 3 of the LED's blowed and caused the power board to burn up or the other way around.

Many thanks to Badcaps forum, budm, nomoresonys, neilc6 and everyone here who took the time to help me. I was able to fix my TV and learned something while doing it. I hope this thread might help others with the same or similar problem.

Comment

Another one saved, nice work.

Comment

Just came across one of these today (LG 43UJ6200) whose backlight was turning off immediately upon power on (flashlight test revealed it was the backlight and not the whole display).

LED tester revealed open on LED string number 2. Opened chassis - LED tester found one bad strip (2nd strip from the top on the "right" if you are looking at the LED's from the front). Checked each LED - only one LED was found to be open Literally ONE LED preventing this beautiful set from booting.

Just wanted to report here that another one of these models started exhibiting these same symptoms, and turned out to have an LED issue.

Comment

Working...
                          X