X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
    I can't stand clutter and absolute disarray.... I'm not the tidiest person around....but when I feel the walls are closing in on me from mess/junk, I go on a dumpster filling binge.
    I'm not keen on clutter just for the sake of clutter. My work areas are incredibly well organized with parts/spares sorted to make locating and retrieving as well as putting them away when no longer needed -- see pics (Can't show my workbench cuz there are some projects displayed there that I'm under NDA not to reveal).

But, with no basement to overflow into, work space is usually at a premium (e.g., I repaired the 55" Vizio on the living room floor as I don't have that much "free" bench space, presently).

And, with stuff coming in pretty regularly, there's always a pile waiting to be checked/evaluated and stored (e.g., the ceiling speakers and miniSAS cables in the one photo; the two "scooters" partially visible in the other).

The room is 17'x17' or so....and the fact I've got 2 left feet, no dancing around here. The open floorspace where the toolbox was won't be open for long....
    I often use the floor as a work surface. I don't have drawers on any of my workstations as the space UNDER the tables is more valuable than the storage the drawers would provide. E.g., in my software lab, there are 4 Z800s, 9 12-15 drive DASs, a 4-drive SAS enclosure, 8 UPSs, four servers, a laser printer, two 16-port switches, 2 SFF PCs and 4 USFF PCs -- with everything wired up and ready for use.

[This doesn't count the stuff my other half uses, THIS computer, any of the laptops (stored in a closet) -- or, any of the machines currently running in my bedroom!]

This lets me keep the worktables clear for the 2 B-size scanners, 4 30" monitors, 3 24" monitors, two digitizing tablets, 3 sets of SpacePilots/keyboards/mice and a Surface Pro 3 (hosts a subset of my music). Plus whatever prototypes I'm working on at the time.

[I keep seldom used peripherals in a nearby closet. A "backup" supply of 7 24" monitors and 6 22" monitors are hiding atop bookshelves in my bedroom]

It's just impossible NOT to feel "cramped", even when the desktops are clear!

I've longed for a basement -- not common in this part of the country -- but figure that would just encourage me to accumulate even MORE stuff!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Curious.George; 10-24-2019, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Scored these for free:

AT (5pin DIN) Acer keyboard
      PS/2 DeluX keyboard
      Totem TM-S730LMV motherboard (rebranded PCChips M810LMR but with Teapos)
      Gamestop Component cable (for PS3/Wii/360)
      Main rig:
      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
      Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
      16GB DDR3-1600
      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
      FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
      120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
      Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post

[Getting old is not fun. It seems that ~50 is when you start noticing "differences" -- few are for-the-better!]
        50=That's of course when you need to be on the lookout for type-2-diabetes.
        That's the condition that I know as the "50+ disease".
        Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 10-31-2019, 05:20 AM.
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
          Lots of stuff manifests at around that age. Particularly CNS disorders. E.g., 10% of men over the age of 50 suffer from essential tremor. Familial ALS rears its head, then, as well. Parkinson's strikes around 60.

By contrast, T2 diabetes is controllable (and almost "curable") with effort; the CNS disorders aren't. (and, IMO, are very disturbing!)

Having lived a fundamentally healthy llife, when I turned 50, I asked my MD what to "expect", going forward.

His reply was "you'll lose 3% per year" -- to which I replied, "3% of WHAT??". "3% of EVERYTHING! Dexterity, strength, vision, hearing, flexibility, ..."

I.e., not only are you "over the hill" but it's a 3% downward grade from thereon out! :-/

Comment

Lots of stuff manifests at around that age. Particularly CNS disorders. E.g., 10% of men over the age of 50 suffer from essential tremor. Familial ALS rears its head, then, as well. Parkinson's strikes around 60.

By contrast, T2 diabetes is controllable (and almost "curable") with effort; the CNS disorders aren't. (and, IMO, are very disturbing!)

Having lived a fundamentally healthy llife, when I turned 50, I asked my MD what to "expect", going forward.

His reply was "you'll lose 3% per year" -- to which I replied, "3% of WHAT??". "3% of EVERYTHING! Dexterity, strength, vision, hearing, flexibility, ..."

I.e., not only are you "over the hill" but it's a 3% downward grade from thereon out! :-/
            The best description of age 50 from so very many I know that are WELL OVER 50, infact many are nearing 80.....and I quote; "On your 50th birthday, your body's warranty expires and things start breaking"! I've got 5 years of warranty left.....so I'm still enjoying, but also beginning to be a little more cautious of things that could possibly expedite this process.....
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
            http://folding.stanford.edu/
            Team : 49813
            Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
              The best description of age 50 from so very many I know that are WELL OVER 50, infact many are nearing 80.....and I quote; "On your 50th birthday, your body's warranty expires and things start breaking"! I've got 5 years of warranty left.....so I'm still enjoying, but also beginning to be a little more cautious of things that could possibly expedite this process.....
              Actually, if you haven't totally abused your body and start treating it a bit better/safer, it's not too bad. You just have to change your expectations, a bit (e.g., the all-nighters are fewer and farther between!). The psychological adjustments can be tough if you're still thinking like an 18-year-old!

By far, the worst part of "getting older" is "knowing dead people" <frown> And, there's nothing you can really do about that!

Comment

Three 2408's (with the usual problems).

Plus three CNAs! Cool!

Comment

IIRC, it typically strikes sedentary people, possibly sedentary women more! Especially secretaries and similar. I knew a woman, who reported not feeling good and she hardly even walked! Guess what, IIRC, it was type-2-diabetes!
                  (99 percent positive, as type-1 usually starts in children or by the 20s, IIRC.)
                  Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 11-01-2019, 05:03 PM.
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

Found a Dell M1730 at the throwing-out place at work. Never had one in my hands before, it's a bit of a beastly thing.

The screen is cracked, it's missing the backspace and enter keys, I don't think the battery is charging, and there seems to be a flap inside the media card reader slot that is missing a spring (I think).

The RAM and hard drive(s) were removed, but surprisingly the HDD caddy was screwed back into place, and covers replaced. Also was left with the power supply, also a beast.

I hooked up a DVI cable to the output port and was able to boot the machine up, get into the setup screens, and also boot a mini XP desktop. So the motherboard seems to be ok.

However, I see that replacement panels are €150-€300, so it's hardly going to be worth trying to fix this to sell it on. I do have an Inspiron 9400 that apparently uses the same panel, but I'm quite fond of that machine (great picture, and superb sound) so not willing to make the sacrifice.

Might be able to sell to someone with a bad motherboard, do they go bad on this model? Power supply is worth a few euro too. Case is in good nick too. Seems a shame to let it go to the recycling if still in decent shape and (technically) working.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by tmcw; 11-04-2019, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Many times the panel can be replaced by different models.
                      I have upgraded laptops for example with better panels etc.
                      Another upside to this is that since the panel is not for a specific laptop model no price gouging...
                      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by tmcw View Post
                        Found a Dell M1730 at the throwing-out place at work. Never had one in my hands before, it's a bit of a beastly thing.

The screen is cracked, it's missing the backspace and enter keys, I don't think the battery is charging, and there seems to be a flap inside the media card reader slot that is missing a spring (I think).

The RAM and hard drive(s) were removed, but surprisingly the HDD caddy was screwed back into place, and covers replaced. Also was left with the power supply, also a beast.

I hooked up a DVI cable to the output port and was able to boot the machine up, get into the setup screens, and also boot a mini XP desktop. So the motherboard seems to be ok.

However, I see that replacement panels are €150-€300, so it's hardly going to be worth trying to fix this to sell it on. I do have an Inspiron 9400 that apparently uses the same panel, but I'm quite fond of that machine (great picture, and superb sound) so not willing to make the sacrifice.

Might be able to sell to someone with a bad motherboard, do they go bad on this model? Power supply is worth a few euro too. Case is in good nick too. Seems a shame to let it go to the recycling if still in decent shape and (technically) working.
                        Keep it, you don't know when you can find parts.

I just got a free Aspire 6930 that somebody replaced the board on with a (now dud) 6530G board + Turion ZM-80 Ultra I am currently in the process of buying a 6930G board on OLX because I just won't want to let the rest of the laptop die - it's got a MXM-2 slot (which lets me replace the GPU easily) and to top that a nice Tuba subwoofer that looks real sweet, as well as support for 2 hard drives.
                        Main rig:
                        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                        16GB DDR3-1600
                        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                        Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                          Keep it, you don't know when you can find parts.

I just got a free Aspire 6930 that somebody replaced the board on with a (now dud) 6530G board + Turion ZM-80 Ultra I am currently in the process of buying a 6930G board on OLX because I just won't want to let the rest of the laptop die - it's got a MXM-2 slot (which lets me replace the GPU easily) and to top that a nice Tuba subwoofer that looks real sweet, as well as support for 2 hard drives.
                          I was going to, but I was reading some threads elsewhere about bad graphics cards on the M1730, where the panel displays cycling colors, which I can actually see on the right side of the panel where it still kind of works. Funny how the output DVI works ok though.

Might be better to part it out and put them up on eBay, parts are selling, like the touchpad, game display, drive cage and even the SATA cable is worth a few euro. I even found a little remote control in the ExpressCard slot that is worth a few euro too.

Unless I find a guide for fixing the graphics card, but that probably involves a reball in the oven, and probably not permanent. I can at least try with the panel from the Inspirion 9400 to confirm it is faulty.

I'm guessing that the panel is busted from the previous owner encountering the cycling colors, and applied their knuckle to it when they realized the possible loss.

Comment

Originally posted by tmcw View Post
                            I was going to, but I was reading some threads elsewhere about bad graphics cards on the M1730, where the panel displays cycling colors, which I can actually see on the right side of the panel where it still kind of works. Funny how the output DVI works ok though.

Might be better to part it out and put them up on eBay, parts are selling, like the touchpad, game display, drive cage and even the SATA cable is worth a few euro. I even found a little remote control in the ExpressCard slot that is worth a few euro too.

Unless I find a guide for fixing the graphics card, but that probably involves a reball in the oven, and probably not permanent. I can at least try with the panel from the Inspirion 9400 to confirm it is faulty.

I'm guessing that the panel is busted from the previous owner encountering the cycling colors, and applied their knuckle to it when they realized the possible loss.
                            The backstory on mine is that the surgery (6530G board in a 6930 casing) done to my laptop was done by a drunk dude for a poor man, and he accidentally dropped it.

Screen was smashed, as well it seems the board went dead after a few BIOS POSTs.

Further inspection revealed that whoever did the surgery reflowed both the GPU (GF 8600M 512MB) and the chipset (AMD M780G), with the latter being too damaged to survive for much longer, and the former working just fine. (some of the 8400-8600 nVidia cards I encountered would work just fine for a really long time after a reflow at 350*C, and I'm not the only one here who has done reflows at such a high temp)

In the end, I'm going to go further and order a 6930G board for it, along with the copper cooler mechanism, and then, drop a Core 2 Duo T6670 along with 4GB of DDR2, as well as (hopefully) a Radeon HD3650 in the near future after I get it working. As for the screen, I managed to save the 16' frame, so I can install a smaller 15.6' LCD inside that frame.
                            Main rig:
                            Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                            Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                            16GB DDR3-1600
                            Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                            Delux MG760 case

Comment

By far, the worst part of "getting older" is "knowing dead people" <frown> And, there's nothing you can really do about that!
                              I do, a woman who got an unexpected heart attack at only 79, IIHC! Very recently, IIHC!
                              (And she wasn't one of the "known-elevated-risks-based-on-race")
                              But she was sedentary!
                              Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 11-08-2019, 08:23 PM.
                              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Scored some freebies:

Acer Aspire 5310 - for parts - powers on but it has missing CPU,RAM and all that stuff lol. The LCD wasn't removed tho.
                                Zida 5STX socket 7 mobo - nice lil' i430TX board. Needs a recap though, as all "VLSOM" caps are bulged.
                                Main rig:
                                Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                16GB DDR3-1600
                                Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                Delux MG760 case

Comment

I do, a woman who got an unexpected heart attack at only 79, IIHC! Very recently, IIHC!
                                  Wait until you start finding folks YOUNGER that you passing away! I've had a few friends die in their 50's from heart attacks. We've had three neighbors pass away in the past few months...

Nothing more sobering than talking to your lawyer about end of life preparations! :<

Comment

Six more 2.5" 500G SAS drives -- but they're just 7K2's.

And, a pair of 2T purples that I can move into the DVRs.

Comment

(And she wasn't one of the "known-elevated-risks-based-on-race")
                                      But she was sedentary!
                                      For all I know, it could have been cardiac cancer! I recently received words that asbestos, at least repeated exposure, can cause cardiac cancer as well! Not only lung cancer!

This, for all I know, could have been asbestos exposure from her early marriage days!

She was born in the very-late-1930s or the early-1940s, I believe. That right there, places her right in the big-asbestos-era!
                                      Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 11-12-2019, 06:14 PM.
                                      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

@79, that's getting up there....
                                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                                        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                                        http://folding.stanford.edu/
                                        Team : 49813
                                        Join in!!
                                        Team Stats

Comment

What did Taicon do? Did Taicon contaminate the electrolyte of Nichicon HN and HM caps?
                                          Taicon's most notorious offenders were found on Socket 462 and 478 ASRock motherboards from 2003 and 2004, in the form of the 8mm diameter 11mm high 1000uF 6.3V HD series. It was quite common to find every single one blown within a few years, even before the KZG went (like this, similar to GSC). This is corroborated by many complaints about them in this thread, starting on post #9, all the way to page 3. There are a couple of other low ESR water base series from them that had reliability problems, but as far as I know, as long as you keep them cool, their entry level ESR series do alright in PSUs (certainly better than CrapXon).

I do not believe Taicon had anything to do with Nichicon's bad run of the HM and HN series.

Comment

Working...
                                          X