Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dream System........back in 1999!! "Big Mama" Restored!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dream System........back in 1999!! "Big Mama" Restored!

It's been an interesting summer for relics!! I was in the attic again and came across an old Asus P2B-D that I could have sworn I sold over a decade ago...I pondered that for a while and realized it was the P2B-DS that I sold, not the D. The "DS" has SCSI on it this one doesnt..... Anyway, I was reminiscing on how much fun that build was when I thought for a minute that I still had most of it...........

I brought it down and fired it....still worked! It had a pair pf P2 450's in it. I had a pair of P3 650's in the junk drawer, so I tried those, it runs them fine. its revision 1.06, which was P3 friendly.

Now, here's where it gets interesting... The case this system originated in was originally built as a server, long before badcaps.net even existed. This hosted one of my first websites ever. The tower is an older Lian Li file server tower that I bought new for this Goliath back in the day. Then the VP6 came out in 2001, and the P2B-D was retired, to never be used again....so this has been sitting in a box since then, alone and forgotten. The case had been through several systems, retired as a server to my personal system in 2002. In 2003, it got an X5DAL-TG2 dual Xeon, and I ran that until 2010, when I stripped the motherboard again and completely retired the case. This case and every system that was in it was nicknamed "Big Mama", which was always its network name as well. it's hard to believe it's been that long ago! I remember all the joys and thrills I got building this thing, I was 24yrs old, and this was the heart of the PC Glory Days!! When I wheeled this bad boy into a LANfest, I was simply GOD!

Anyway, I figured what the hell....why not put her back together....for old time sake if for no other reason. The HDD's were all SCSI, and are long gone. I sold those many years ago, while they were still worth somethign...so I'll have to dig up some replacements, and it seems 68 pin SCSI HDD's are dirt cheap now, even for large sizes! Anyway, first things first with the case... It's been sitting in the garage since retirement in 2010 with junk stacked on it. It weighs about 70lbs, I wasn't toting it up to the attic. It stands 33" tall. it is FILTHY!!

Top and sides removed. Thankfully, when I retired it, I kept all the accessories and parts together with it so they wouldn't get lost!!

A home made gizmo I designed so I can run multiple power supplies independently of eachother. At one time, this machine had a dozen 10,000RPM HDD's in it, very few PSU's could hold it, so I designed this to split the load. it worked like a charm!!

Starting to take it apart...That is a Zip250, not sure if it still works. The floppy is not a floppy, it's an LS120.

The stack is growing.

Had to RatDude the IO shield, as the tray opening is about 1/8" shorter on the top edge, and a standard shield is too tall. Tin snips to trim the top edge off, and shazam!!

Completely stripped and ready to be washed.

The PSU's. The big array is a 500W. The smaller array is 300W.

All Apart!

That's all for now.........this will be an ongoing side project.
    Attached Files
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Re: Dream System........back in 1999!! "Big Mama" Restored!

nice, i would reuse the case today on say an i7 even.
    BTW which one is better, a yamaha cr-640 or a soundesign 5466?
    Last edited by goontron; 09-15-2014, 09:33 PM.
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

I like the old printer stands.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
        nice, i would reuse the case today on say an i7 even.
        Booooring!! That case is only worthy of something extraordinary!! Any motherboard that gets the honors of being on that tray must be able to accept atleast 2 physical processors!

To answer the soundisaster question.... This system ran NT4 as its first OS...compared to *nix in that era, *nix was very soundesign-like...
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
          Booooring!! That case is only worthy of something extraordinary!! Any motherboard that gets the honors of being on that tray must be able to accept atleast 2 physical processors!

To answer the soundisaster question.... This system ran NT4 as its first OS...compared to *nix in that era, *nix was very soundesign-like...
          Dual Xeon E5

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
            Dual Xeon E5
            I like the way you think..................

Now that I think about this, I think this system is older than 1999. I think it may be 1997 circa.....
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

Very nice
              My pc
              CPU : AMD PHENOM II x4 @ 3.5Ghz
              MB : ASUS M4A89TD PRO USB3
              RAM : Kingston ValueRAM 16gb DDR3
              PSU : Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro
              GPU : ATI Radeon HD 6850

Comment

Another lucky rubble pile find in the attic.... A pair of 73gb 15k RPM u320 68-pin SCSI and a pair of 146gb 10k RPM 68-pin u320 Maxtor SCSI. I also found 9x IBM 9.1GB 7200RPM U2 68-pinners, but compared to the others, these will not get used.

I was sad when SCSI died off.......

Incase anyone can't tell, I'm a huge old school plextor fan. These are 50-pin SCSI.

Washing everything. The big PSU array was caked bad, they had to get hotwashed. The smaller array was surprisingly clean. Air compressor and a wipedown was all they needed. There's also my heavy-duty 3-headed cord, the motherboard tray, the HDD cages, and the big bottom filter.

Tower itself washed.

Here's the only problem I ran into... The filters on the drive cages are only....15yrs old...and completely deteriorated. They can't take being washed, they're just falling apart at the touch. I have to find a similar filter material to replace these.

More later.
                Attached Files
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

Cool build!

Question: is the X5DAL-TG2 you referenced in the OP the same one you gave me years later?

(BTW, it's still "on blocks" but once i get around to making an actual DOS floppy, I'll copy boot blocks and hopefully hotflash it into working again)
                  sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                    Cool build!

Question: is the X5DAL-TG2 you referenced in the OP the same one you gave me years later?

(BTW, it's still "on blocks" but once i get around to making an actual DOS floppy, I'll copy boot blocks and hopefully hotflash it into working again)
                    Yup, that'd be the one!
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

Awesome, awesome, awesome. Love it. Nothin' like a good ole desktop. Thanks for sharing and thanks for not chucking it at first sight! See if you can find some date codes on the IC's on the motherboard. What brand are those PSU's?

I also couldn't help but notice that AGP Radeon X1600 PRO. Good card

Comment

thats a bad ass rig, I have a regular asus p2b around iam dying to build it just need to find a agp voodoo 3 or maybe a voodoo 2 and make a vintage gaming machine
                        My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                          Awesome, awesome, awesome. Love it. Nothin' like a good ole desktop. Thanks for sharing and thanks for not chucking it at first sight! See if you can find some date codes on the IC's on the motherboard. What brand are those PSU's?

I also couldn't help but notice that AGP Radeon X1600 PRO. Good card
                          Not sure of the brands of those PSU's. The big one came with the case. The smaller one is something I rigged to work along with the big one....it couldn't hold 12x drives and the motherboard....so I added the extra, which fixed the underpower problem.

Yes, that is an X1600 512mb. There is an 8500 AIW behind it, the 128MB version, which was very rare. The 64mb was the common one. I still have the box and the accessories for that card. There's also a pair of really old 3dfx voodoo3500's over there, with the big fat purple dongle. not sure if those even work anymore. I've got way too much of this crap laying around....I'm such a hoarder.

1999 is correct for the year, caps are original Rubycons, datecodes are late 98.
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

Getting very close to wrapping this project up. It went a little quicker than I thought..... I haven't lost my system building skills I guess, I'm still awesome at it, and fast! You old timers that have dealt with SCSI know what a headache it can be sometimes with addressing, ID's LUN's, RAID's, cabling, and termination.... All this stuff was scattered out to different systems over the years and readdressed....bringing it back was not hard, but I had to dig in my brain archives a little.

Opticals and HDD's reinstalled. Anyone wondering why there were ever 4 opticals, back in the day a 700mb CD was cheaper than a HDD by tons of money, so optical file banks were common place. The LS120 does work, I can't test the Zip, I don't know were any disks are. It is recognized by the BIOS though.

Only 4 drives this time around, not 12. Each cage can hold 3 drives. I did 2 per cage and the other 2 cages are empty.

PSU Cages reinstalled.

Front Door and all PSU's back in.

Motherboard back in the tray....reunited after 15 years!!

Cards back in. I went with a ATI 9800 128mb card for several reasons. It has a DVI and a VGA, as well as it is powered externally via a smaller power plug. If you remember the BX chipset, it had power issues when using too powerful of a GPU off the motherboard. This eliminates that factor. One thing gnawed at me the whole time though....as I was about to put the tray back in the case, I realized there was no NIC. This is probably the first motherboard I've dealt with in many years that did not have an onboard NIC. Had to scrounge one from the parts bins.

Multiple SCSI controllers. The U320 controller is an Adaptec 2100S RAID controller, it runs the drives. It has no 50-pin interface for the opticals, which is fine. The opticals are controlled by an Adaptec 2940U2W. The NIC is a Broadcom 10/100. The sound card is an ISA SB16. I tried the AWE32, the system would not POST with it, I don't think it's any good, so SB16 it is.

Tray back in the case.

Drive interfaces and power connected.

The legendary 3-headed power cable!!

Lets light this candle!!!!

No issues. All devices are seen, and recreating and building RAID's.

Found some material to make temporary filters with. I found some exact material, which breathes better than this stuff....but I had to order it. This will do in the mean time. Filters must be in place with these cages, or the faces just flop around and fall off otherwise.

All Back together.

All thats left is an OS install. It originally ran WinNT4, then Win2k Pro and A/S. Those are kinda useless today, so I'll probably just toss XP Pro on it. The BX chipset only supports 1GB of RAM, so anything newer would probably struggle. A nicely tweaked XP install will run smooth as silk on this.
                            Attached Files
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

This post made from the reborn Big Mama!! She's a sight to behold....but boy this sure make you appreciate a fast computer!!
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

That is a ballin' case.
                                Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Comment

I remember Plextor being the standard in burners back in the day. I drooled over my Maximum PC mag announcing a 4x Plextor burner, while I was running some off-brand 1x burner that would churn out coasters like nobody's business. Couldn't do anything on my PC while burning a disk, or I ran the risk of exhausting the buffer and the burn failing.
                                  Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Working...
                                  X