Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad EEPROM chip GTX580 ?

Hi guys,

I have a Gainward GTX580 Phantom that doesn't work, despite being in excellent physical condition. There seems to be voltage everywhere on the card and the GPU does appear to heat up.

But the card is not detected at all, nvflash doesn't see anything, nor does atiflash, or any other DOS software that could detect a video card.

I don't have much experience in repairing graphics card aside from replacing capacitors, SMD components and reflows, but since it wont show up anywhere on several computers I put it on, I was thinking maybe the EEPROM chip would be bad ? I've tried with several other video cards and even if they wont POST, they at least show up in the list of cards.

Could I replace it with a random EEPROM chip of the same capacity and pinout, and then flash it with the proper BIOS ?

Is there anyway to test the circuit that goes to the EEPROM ?

Thanks !

EDIT : sorry wrong location, could someone move the thread in the right category ? Thanks !
    Last edited by SuperDuty; 11-22-2015, 05:15 PM. Reason: wrong location

Re: Bad EEPROM chip GTX580 ?

you have nothing to lose, but you should write the data into the new eeprom *before* you fit it to the board.

you could also dump the data from the old eeprom to see if it looks good. (vid & pid i.d.'s)

Comment

The problem is I don't have anything to program EEPROMs, but I have many dead video cards that should have good ones so I was thinking I could replace the original one with one from another random video card, that would make it detectable even if the data is completely wrong, and then flash it with the right BIOS.

Comment

I swapped the EEPROM with one from another GTX580 (a reference model by Point of View that "works" but has terrible artefacts) with no change, but the POV GTX580 works and boots up correctly with the Gainward EEPROM so the chip and its content are fine.

Time to compare the voltages of both cards while they run to see if I can isolate the issue.

Comment

trace the eeprom pins to the edge-pads.
          it may have a bad trace or through-hole.

Comment

Ok I will try that But while I was measuring the voltage controller, I think I shorted it :/ Now the fans blow at full speed...
            I will have to try to replace the chip, but the QFN package doesn't make it easy with the tools I have. Some investments are required to go any further.

Now onto my other GTX580 (Point of View model), I did two reflows, the last one heating the GPU a little longer, and the artefacts remain. There were a few broken components on the backside, I managed to replace most of them (some below the VRMs, some under a RAM chip, and one under the GPU). I did inspect the card and couldn't find any other visual problem.

Comment

Hi
              I'm not sure if I'm in right place . my laptop is locked out.
              MY service tag is:3R7MZNI
              Express service code :817576393
              How I can unlock it?
              Thank you

Comment

Working...
              X