IBM motherboard loses production line lottery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IBM motherboard loses production line lottery

This board from an IBM ThinkCentre 8184 has solid caps in VRM, and a mixture of Rubycon and Chemicon electrolytics elsewhere
    In this case, the Chemicon KZG beside the northbridge heatsink lives up to its reputation for disliking heat and is bulging top and bottom
    Other KZGs, mixed with Rubycon, still appear OK
    Whereas the same model that I use every day scored all Rubycon in the lottery, and shows no sign of any problem
    Attached Files
    better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Re: IBM motherboard loses production line lottery

Final pic shows replacement TMQ 1500uf 10v recycled from a scrap board, but tested OK on Dick Smith ESR meter before re-use
    Also shows underneath an identical TMQ, plus original KZG, both of which have the complex bung which usually means a good capacitor
    Attached Files
    better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

that spot is hot enough to pop mbz!
      have 2 now that have.just a bad design to put the cap next to those red hot mosfets.

Comment

I have several of these boards, all of which, the mosfets are cooked along with the MBZ caps.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

re the title.
          i noticed these things with either kzg,mbz,or a mix.
          lottery indeed!

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
            I have several of these boards, all of which, the mosfets are cooked along with the MBZ caps.
            Maybe I got to it just in time

Other side of the PCB, underneath the mosfets beside that capacitor, it's quite discoloured - sort of browny blue, instead of bright blue

Comment

Should i be worried about the kzg caps on my am2/+ msi microatx mobo (out of hp)...???
              Are they guaranteed to fail? Or just higher likelyness.
              No bulgers/leakers yet...

Comment

As KC8ADU said earlier, bad design

CPU cooling is by an external case fan which blows (from left to right in my first picture) across the CPU's passive heatsink first, then across the northbridge heatsink

So by the time airflow reaches that capacitor, it's probably quite warm

Compound that with heat from the mosfets beside it, and it's not a good environment for something heat-sensitive

The fan is thermostatically controlled as well, only speeds up when CPU is working hard, so probably minimal airflow most of the time

The board does have other KZGs - the group of four 2200uf 6.3v electrolytics to the right of the polymers are one Rubycon MBZ and three Chemicon KZG, all of which look OK

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                  Should i be worried about the kzg
                  Yes
                  Mann-Made Global Warming.
                  - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                  -

Comment

If you plan on keeping these boards for a long time you should experiement with putting a poly cap in that spot.

Comment

I just picked up an 8183, and I want to polymod it, but not until I either replace or strengthen the stock PSU. Is there a good replacement for the awkwardly-shaped Acbel PSU?

Matthew
                      Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Comment

Unfortunately, Chemicon has some 'splaning to do! The KZGs on my Asus A7N8X-X motherboard, next to the processor, bulged when sitting!

They weren't bulged in 2010! They're 3300 uFs.
                        Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 03-09-2016, 02:42 AM.
                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
                        X