X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell XPS8500

Hi All and Happy New Year
    I friend left his Dell PC at home to check out a boot, POST problem
    Does anyone know of any known issues with capacitors on a Dell XPS 8500 motherboard capacitors?
    I took a look at them and they are KGZ series. I ask about as this unit is not booting properly and is always giving memory errors, installing a brand new memory module did nothing and it posted properly at will with its original memory set.
    A search produced no results. Oh and it is a 2012 model.

Thnk You.
    A Picture of subject is always Welcome

Things saved from the e-landfill:
    Vizio VA26LHDTV10T 26" - Bad EEPROM Cap
    Asus PTGD1-LA Full Recap - Cha1 DDR socket damage
    MSI PM8M3-V Unstable CPU Recap CPU VRM circuit
    ViewSonic VA712B - still working on it
    Kindle Fire USB Connector
    MSI G31M-F Full Recap - Record Breaker done in 3Hrs.
    MSI P67A-G43 BIOS chip Reprogram - Tested and Happy

The list will go on thanks to the people of this forum and many hours of reading.

Re: Dell XPS8500

KZG is a known bad series of capacitors from United Chemi-Con, so probably you read the text wrong (KGZ doesn't exist).
    Last edited by Per Hansson; 01-07-2018, 10:31 AM.
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

My bad I read it wrong it is KZG.
      The exact same board as being work on should I replace all or only a selected few, relates to the series.
      Attached Files

The list will go on thanks to the people of this forum and many hours of reading.

Comment

Today took off the motherboard to do a recap but something is off. A 6.3v 1000uF KZG. Could be a typo on the label or a batch of fakes.
        I cannot find the value on the data sheet for this series type
        Attached Files

Comment

It's common for large customers to order custom capacitors, so they are probably not fake.
          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Probably not a counterfeit (not that it would matter much with the dreaded KZG series. ). See the attached engineering draft.
            Attached Files

Comment

KZG Caps replaced, system booted with any issues but restarted to finish installation of hardware but, back came the two beep POST, since these new motherboards don't use NB could being integrated on the CPU, Could the CPU be going bad?

Comment

Originally posted by crash-cyberdrive View Post
                KZG Caps replaced, system booted with any issues but restarted to finish installation of hardware but, back came the two beep POST, since these new motherboards don't use NB could being integrated on the CPU, Could the CPU be going bad?
                What's the CPU you have in there now? 6th or 7th gen core i5 or i7? If yes, then bad CPU is quite possible. Though, if anything, I think the issues is most likely bad/marginal BGA on the CPU socket. When I worked in a retail PC shop last spring, we had to send lots of defective motherboards back. Most of the time, the "refurbished" ones we got back from the manufacturer had signs of reflow around the CPU socket... so I imagine that was the problem with them. Unfortunately, I never got the chance to take a broken board like that and try to fix it myself, so I can't confirm 100% if that was the issue. But it might be worth a try.

The other thing I notice - you have a bare NB/SB chipset without any heatsink. We had a ton of failures on Dell machines with boards without NB/SB heatsinks like that (but those usually acted completely dead, not intermittent like yours). Although those little chips don't use a whole lot of power, they still run extremely hot - I couldn't keep my finger on any of them, so that tells me they were easily going over 55C temperatures - i.e. not good. Perhaps this was planned obsolescence by Dell or whoever made these motherboards for them.
                Last edited by momaka; 01-28-2018, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                  What's the CPU you have in there now? 6th or 7th gen core i5 or i7? If yes, then bad CPU is quite possible. Though, if anything, I think the issues is most likely bad/marginal BGA on the CPU socket. When I worked in a retail PC shop last spring, we had to send lots of defective motherboards back. Most of the time, the "refurbished" ones we got back from the manufacturer had signs of reflow around the CPU socket... so I imagine that was the problem with them. Unfortunately, I never got the chance to take a broken board like that and try to fix it myself, so I can't confirm 100% if that was the issue. But it might be worth a try.

The other thing I notice - you have a bare NB/SB chipset without any heatsink. We had a ton of failures on Dell machines with boards without NB/SB heatsinks like that (but those usually acted completely dead, not intermittent like yours). Although those little chips don't use a whole lot of power, they still run extremely hot - I couldn't keep my finger on any of them, so that tells me they were easily going over 55C temperatures - i.e. not good. Perhaps this was planned obsolescence by Dell or whoever made these motherboards for them.
                  Will do take into consideration the SB heatsink and will look at the cpu bga area. The cpu is an i7 but have not look at the cpu generation. It is lga 1155 I think could be 6th.

Comment

Working...
                  X