Denon avr 2802 with no sound on speaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Denon avr 2802 with no sound on speaker

update: 3/2018: Finally Denon AVR-982 (same as AVR-2800) is working after replacing the DSP.

After replacing the Flash, the DSP program memory download was completing. However, the when the DSP CPU attempted a Read from the DSP (via SPI bus) the DSP IC did not reply. This made me suspect that the DSP was bad.

I ended up replacing the DSP chip (Cirrus/Crystal CS493292-CL) and that fixed the issue. The Denon AVR-982 is working (with the Macronix replacement flash which I programmed as described earlier).
    I bought the DSP IC off eBay.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-PCS-New-C...p/263355647333

Attached some photos with new ICs, OLD DSP, and showing all of the Debug probe wires before I removed them.
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi, great job!
      Would you be that kind to attach/upload any chip dumps that you have?

Comment

The only IC file I have is what I posted 02-10-2018.
        It's the Flash memory image.

Comment

Can you please send me the picture of the connector you short?
          The link seems to be outdated

Originally posted by dbdenon View Post
          Hi,

I found my Denon AVR2802 had failed in the way described above. However I noticed that in some situations (detailed below) I could hear very faint audio coming through the amp.

If you would like to re-use the following functionality of your amp then there is a fairly easy fix. With the ‘fixed' unit I can:

•Use the amplifier to amplify an external (analogue) source
          •Volume control works
          •Muting works
          •Power speakers A and or B, and potentially surround and sub as separate channels (have not tested)

What does not work:
          •The radio receiver
          •Switching to any other sources
          •Video switching (untested)

Step 1 - confirm your amp has the same fault symptoms as mine had:

A.Connect a source to the FL/FR EXT. IN inputs (e.g. phone, MP3 player, computer) [img]
          B.Connect speakers to the FR/FL outputs
          C.Configure the ‘source' to be EXT.IN
          D.Turn up the volume to around 0dB - you should hear nothing.
          E.Turn off the amp and turn it back on
          F.Only adjust the main volume, turning it gradually up to +18db - you should hear the EXT.IN source signal coming faintly out the speakers.
          G.Note if you do any other adjustment to sources at this point then you will have to power-cycle the system.

Step 2 - disable the mute which is in place

There are a couple of places in the audio signal path that the system can mute the sound. Some are electronic and some are electromechanical (i.e. relays). I think what was happening on my system was that because the main DSP was failing (probably due to the ROM failing as described elsewhere) the microcontroller was then muting the signal. The electronic mute used is not infinite, hence why the test in step 1 works. In this step we disable the mute (permanently).

A.Power off the amp
          B.Take off the top case (as described in the service manual)
          C.Unscrew the back panel (a lot of screws!)
          D.Remove the DSP card to give access to connecter CX114 on the base PCB. [img]
          E.Use a solder blob to short pins 3 and 4 of this connector. [img]

Step 3 - test

A.Re-attach “EXT.IN” inputs to test and feed in a signal
          B.Power on the amp and slowly increase main volume from lowest volume.
          C.If this fix has been successful then you will hear sound from your speakers when the main volume is much lower that in step 1.
          D.Having confirmed the fix, reassemble the unit (you could run it permanently without the failed DSP board).
          E.Enjoy a few more years out of your amp instead of dumping it!

Note: even with this fix any change to the ‘source' will cause the amp to mute until it is power cycled. This functionality works for me (I only use one internet-connected source into my amp) but may not work for you. No DSP or digital functions (like DTS, Dolby, etc) are available. If you need the DSP then consider replacing the ROM as detailed elsewhere.

Comment

Azchris! Can you confirm me if tHis EXT.IN works with center subwoofer and surround speakers aswell. Because that will be awesome. All i need is the EXT. INPUTS WORKS WITH ALL CHANNELS

Comment

The AVR-2802/982 has Ext In RCA connectors for FR, FL, SR, SL, C, and Sub. So for a working unit, these inputs amplify signals and send to the corresponding channels.

Comment

Azchris, can you program the IC's for me? and I'll pay you in advance. The crystal DTS IC and obviously the Macronix.
                Pretty Please

Originally posted by azchris View Post
                The AVR-2802/982 has Ext In RCA connectors for FR, FL, SR, SL, C, and Sub. So for a working unit, these inputs amplify signals and send to the corresponding channels.
                Last edited by addahasan; 06-28-2018, 04:34 PM. Reason: Forgot to mension a few things

Comment

I bought the Denon AVC-3800 after this my Denon AVR-2802 gone bad in a single day. The 2802 matched with my system in the most outstanding way. The AVC-3800 is the worst experience with amplifier. Its the worst nightmare of Amplifier quality sound.

Comment

Originally posted by addahasan View Post
                    Azchris, can you program the IC's for me? and I'll pay you in advance. The crystal DTS IC and obviously the Macronix.
                    Pretty Please
                    The DSP does NOT require and programming.
                    As I said in my earlier post, I bought the DSP off eBay
                    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-PCS-New-C...p/263355647333(https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-PCS-New-C...p/263355647333)

I would recommend that you buy the DSP, and change it FIRST.
                    If that does not solve the problem, only then try replacing the Flash IC.
                    (As I explained earlier, the I don't believe the original Flash IC was bad).

I would be willing to provide a preprogrammed Macronix FLASH however, I'm not sure about how to ship internationally.

Comment

I bought the Denon AVC-3800 after this my Denon AVR-2802 gone bad in a single day. The 2802 matched with my system in the most outstanding way. The AVC-3800 is the worst experience with amplifier. Its the worst nightmare of Amplifier quality sound.
                      I think you are saying that you don't like the AVR-3800.
                      Funny, I also acquired a Denon AVR-3803 from a friend who had damaged it by ESD (Electro Static Shock) event, and that resulted in two Blown ICs on the Input board (Toshiba TC9274N). After replacing those, and two blown power supply fuses, I was able to repair the AVR-3803.
                      It works now, but there is one thing I don't like about it: When used in the DSP modes (such as Dolby) using a 2-channel source (e.g. Tuner (Radio), CD In, etc.), the DSP effects seem to distort the sound going to some of the channels.
                      The AVR-3803 uses a different DSP compared to the AVR-2802/982.

Assuming your AVR-3800 is similar to the AVR-38023, Maybe you should try switching the AVR-3800 to use the "direct" or Pure mode (one of the non-DSP modes) and see if that solves your sound issues. In direct modes, without any DSP processing, the sound is pretty clean thru all channels.

Comment

I tried with both Optical link and the Direct 2 Channel mode. Both sounded like a speaker that is put inside a box. low quality treble.

Will international shipping is an issue. I found some site they cost around 18$ for shipping.

As mentioned in earlier post by dbdenon, I tried it, and at 18+DB volume i can hear the music lightly coming out of my speakers.

So my conclusion was the same issue as DBdenon mentioned.

Funny, I also acquired a Denon AVR-3803 from a friend who had damaged it by ESD (Electro Static Shock) event, and that resulted in two Blown ICs on the Input board (Toshiba TC9274N). After replacing those, and two blown power supply fuses, I was able to repair the AVR-3803.
                        It works now, but there is one thing I don't like about it: When used in the DSP modes (such as Dolby) using a 2-channel source (e.g. Tuner (Radio), CD In, etc.), the DSP effects seem to distort the sound going to some of the channels.

Assuming your AVR-3800 is similar to the AVR-38023, Maybe you should try switching the AVR-3800 to use the "direct" or Pure mode (one of the non-DSP modes) and see if that solves your sound issues. In direct modes, without any DSP processing, the sound is pretty clean thru all channels.

Comment

I have the option to return the Denon AVC-3800. I will return it because it sounded terrible.

The main course of issue is the installed firmware "Macronix IC". If you can send me the programmed firmware IC, I will try to find and buy the Crystal IC from Aliexpress.

Comment

Its a different model not AVR-3802, Its AVC-3800 which is quite an old model.

denon AVR-2802 issue is: No sound in analog or digital inputs.

The Optical line use to detect my signals as Digital after no sound issue It does not lit the light of DIGITAL Signal.

But it does detects my Optical link.

at full volume I can hear the sound coming out of my speaker as low as headphones

Aliexpress does have Crystal DSP IC. You recommend to change it first?

I have the option to return the Denon AVC-3800. I will return it because it sounded terrible.

The main course of issue is the installed firmware "Macronix IC". If you can send me the programmed firmware IC, I will try to find and buy the Crystal IC from Aliexpress.

Comment

Aliexpress does have Crystal DSP IC. You recommend to change it first?
                              --> YES, I recommend changing the DSP IC FIRST.

Comment

this is the IC available at Ali:
                                https://www.aliexpress.com/item/TCC8...ceBeautifyAB=0

CS493292-CLZ not the CS493292-CL would it work?

--> YES, I recommend changing the DSP IC FIRST.

Comment

this is the IC available at Ali:
                                  https://www.aliexpress.com/item/TCC8...ceBeautifyAB=0

CS493292-CLZ not the CS493292-CL would it work?
                                  I don't know what, if any difference there may be, and also I'm aware that counterfeit ICs exist in the market so it is more risk to try a different one.
                                  I don't understand why you don't order the IC off eBay, which I know works.
                                  The price on eBay is $US 11.99 with free worldwide shipping.
                                  The price on Aliexpress seems much more (~$25?).

Comment

The issue is the paypal account. The payment method for international shipping is with paypal only that is the only issue.

I don't know what, if any difference there may be, and also I'm aware that counterfeit ICs exist in the market so it is more risk to try a different one.

Comment

Kindly check as the cirrus logic. The vendor of the chips.
                                      CS493292-CLZ is the chip

The issue is the paypal account. The payment method for international shipping is with paypal only that is the only issue.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

I looked at the DSP datasheet and the -CLZ version simply means it's a lead-free package.
                                        So it should work just fine. (See attached screen grab).
                                        You can download the datasheet anywhere off the web but I've also attached it.
                                        I didn't think paypal would be a problem but hey, order from whereever you want.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

I can transfer the amount to you and you can ship it to my address, would that be ok?

Comment

Working...
                                          X