MSI ADVERTISES TOP GRADE CAPACITORS ON THEIR NEW BOARDS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSI ADVERTISES TOP GRADE CAPACITORS ON THEIR NEW BOARDS

I saw an ad which made me almost splutter my coffee all over the magazine. My God HAS THE KING OF CRAP CAPS SEEN THE LIGHT. There was a picture of capacitors highlighted on the motherboard. What is this....then i read that :

MSI have adopted the top grade capacitors to equally discharge electricity and enhance the high effect and longevity of motherboards.

This is on the new platinum series 915P neo 2 Platinum and 925X Neo Platinum. The new intel chipset boards with the new LGA CPU sockets 775.

Also active MOS for better heat dissipation. They reverse the MOS so the heat is going up away from the board. (I am not familiar enough with these parts to understand the technology)

So what brand are these capacitors anyway? Somebody report.

They leave themselves wide open to advertising standards violations and lawsuits if these caps fail prematurely.

What is the reason for this change in policy. Are they losing market share from the bad press or do these new chipsets and CPU put too much strain and heat on the components that stability can only be maintained with top components and careful heat dissipation.

Tell me what you think, i am so blown away by this......
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

MSI talks about the technology
    http://www.msi.com.tw/html/service/t...7028/page1.htm

"MSI 915P Neo2-platinum uses best quality JAPAN OS-CON capacitors around CPU socket."

err....everywhere else....i guess probably not.......

Comment

so... what about the vrm's?
      lots of boards use the os cons near the cpu.

Comment

yeah i want to know more. Anybody checked out one of these boards?

Comment

guarantee they will dissapoint us, it is so sick. Have 2 CUSL 2 boards with Rubycon caps all over the place but around the cpu is OST caps. Why bother put Rubycon, is it only for decoration / advertising purposes. Trust MSI to do the same but maybe they surprise us.

Comment

other CAP maker near CPU socket

from what I 've seen of it and researched caps with several makers; in most cases the TOP makers don't make the miniature parts with very high capacitance values that the board makers want in the tiny cylinders they want them in.
            Many a time I searched for a 10mm diameter cap of 2.200uF/10V, but only found that it could be had in a 12.5mm diameter component.
            This means that I found that the highest capacitance value in 10mm/10V I could find with the TOP makers was 1.500uF.
            Other makers have created what the board makers wanted, and it worked, but the quality wasn't there ...
            That 's why we all are suffering bad boards (bad caps) and that 's too why you 'll find Good mixed with Bad.
            The BAD are in the most crucial places ! (being the highest capacitances)

Comment

all this activmos is is properly heatsinking the vrm fets instead of passing heat to the boards ground foil.
              some boards run hot enough around the vrm that they darken the board.
              this kind of heat also dries out lytics.
              and if they are cheap crap as usual failure occurs even faster.

Comment

ok so it gives lytics longer life. That is good. Saw the Gigabyte offering. OS-CON around the CPU, Sanyo elsewhere. There is definately a heat problem with the new chipsets. if this brings better components then the consumer is in a better place. Some people dont wanna change pc after 4 years why should they have to due to component failure if they use their pc for internet and office apps only.

Comment

double post

Comment

"Therefore, capacitors which have been working overtime can easily leak out and break down." - that's in there.

Uh, no. They shouldn't.

Comment

haha well spotted indeed Roadkill

There is more also :

"Electrolytic capacitors help to filter low frequency unstable electricity waves, but it's of low quality and its lifetime is short. "

Only when they are made in Taiwan guys. Some boards were running for years and years with lytic caps, just not yours. These ads are definitely trying to win back lost customers by blinding them with bs. For sure a lot of people will believe it.

Noorman has an interesting point.

Comment

Well it wont be me. My next board will be a nice Tyan Board. One of those nice 7525 Chipset based ones, for dual Xeon.

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
                          Also active MOS for better heat dissipation. They reverse the MOS so the heat is going up away from the board. (I am not familiar enough with these parts to understand the technology)
                          Yeah that sounds like they flip them over to slap a heatsink on them instead of soldering the pad to the board and dumping all the heat into the ground plane. When they solder them to the board the pad on the fet is electricly the same as the center pin (I think gate pin), thats why you always see it clipped.

I imagine we will see alot more heatsinking of the fets as cpu wattage goes up (especially dual cores), but most will probably only do it halfassed... I mean that by just placing a heatsink ontop of them, and not flipping the fets over like msi is talking about.

Comment

Naw they still use crap caps, their latest Radeon 200 chipset board looks like it uses OST in the voltage section, and add to that fact that they have USB problems too...Their fix was to throw in a USB card...I saw at the MSI forum one of the MSI paid technicians posted a fix, it was to cut one of the USB leads on the internal connector and it all worked out fine after...

MD
                            Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

cut one of the USB leads on the internal connector and it all worked out fine after...
                              cough...how did that leave the factory

pity msi are using crap caps again . ost are all over the place. we should have a roundup of what the manufacturers are doing now. it is looking bad though. i was suprised to see albatron still using good caps. but also i never seen a kbd controlller fail before and that was on an albatron 865 board.

Comment

Re: MSI ADVERTISES TOP GRADE CAPACITORS ON THEIR NEW BOARDS

well then. i checked out the new msi boards at comdex and they have rubycon, ucc, panasonic, ost, some polymers, teapo. a real mixed bag depending on what model you choose.

Comment

and in the nude SLI freestyle event the award goes to

Attached Files

Comment

and in the topless SLI freestyle event the award goes to

Attached Files

Comment

Preowner mentioned the pins on the CPU power supply MOSFET. The centre pin is the DRAIN connection (equivalent to the collector on a bi-polar transistor) It is a high current connection, hence connection to the ground plane. The gate is the high impedance control input and therefore would not be connected a large area because of the sensitivity to increased capacitance that would slow down the switching speed.
                                      Gigabyte EP45-DS3L Ultra Reliable (Power saver)
                                      Intel E8400 (3000Mhz) Bios temps. 4096Mb 800Mhz DDR2 Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12
                                      160Gb WD SATAII Server grade
                                      Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
                                      160Gb WD eSATAII Server grade for backup.
                                      Samsung 18x DVD writer
                                      Pioneer 16x DVD writer + 6x Dual layer
                                      33 way card reader
                                      Windows XP Pro SP3
                                      Thermaltake Matrix case with 430W Silent Power
                                      17" Benq FP737s LCD monitor
                                      HP Officejet Pro K5300 with refillable tanks

Comment

Here's an MSI graphics card with Nichicon caps on it:

Comment

Working...
                                        X