2WIRE 3600hgv power suply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2WIRE 3600hgv power suply

I was opening a 2WIRE power supply to check the voltages as the gateway wasn't too stable lately. However, after I opened, it wouldn't work at all. The 2WIRE would power on for a second or so and display a red power light and then turn off. I checked the voltages with a multimeter and the voltage would be about 6v when the light was on and almost 3v when the light was off. Any ideas as to what would cause this?
    Attached Files

Re: 2WIRE 3600hgv power suply

Check for cold joints and replace the two small caps with quality caps.
    VERY CAREFULLY check the voltage at the BIG CAP. Meter on DC600v

Please update your profile with country and mains voltage.
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

I want to wait until I have a bigger list of capacitors to buy as the shipping costs for just two or three capacitors is a bit high compared to the price of the capacitors themselves. The voltage on the big cap fluctuates from 166.4v-167.4v. I can't tell if any of the joints are cold because it was made using leadless solder.

Comment

OK - let us know how it goes, Actually I have a similar PS to fix -I dont need it so never seem to get round to it.
        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

Is there anything I can do or test without buying new equipment? What are the possible causes for this fluctuation. Also, when the voltage fluctuates, there's a tiny click from the power supply but I'm not sure where.

Comment

What fluctuation - voltage on the big cap or the 3 -6 on the output?

Comment

Actually, the fluctuation in the output coincides with the fluctuation on the big cap.

Comment

the psu uses the primary filter cap as storage of mains voltage when the psu try's to start the caps voltage will drop then return to the peak voltage of the mains supply.

The output voltage fluctuation is a result of the psu trying to start.
                My pc
                CPU : AMD PHENOM II x4 @ 3.5Ghz
                MB : ASUS M4A89TD PRO USB3
                RAM : Kingston ValueRAM 16gb DDR3
                PSU : Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro
                GPU : ATI Radeon HD 6850

Comment

What would cause the psu to be unable to start?

Comment

Does it put out the correct (12V?) with no load? It's normal to see a volt or two fluctuation on the input filter cap, as powerline voltage moves up and down.
                    Check the bridge rectifier, I've seen an open diode make a power supply weak and go into UVLO (under-voltage shutdown) when loaded down. The bridge is on the heatsink, with 4 diodes to test.
                    Otherwise I've seen bad capacitors (the smaller ones) cause a supply to go unstable. Some of the solder joints look poor and I would touch them up too.

Comment

It outputs about 11.5v-12v with no load. How would I check the bridge rectifier? Sorry, I'm pretty new to this. What solder joints would you recommend I reflow?

Comment

As you are getting fully rectified voltage at the Big Cap it is unlikely to be a problem with the Bridge rectifier - they tend to work or not work.
                        Have you tried the supply on anything else - could it be a fault on the 3600hgv. A 12v car sidelamp is handy to have for testing.

Comment

Actually, the 3600hgv works fine with another 12v power supply.

Comment

I almost willing to bet my lunch money it's one of the two filter caps (green and black ones on the right side) has gone bad. Is one of them a 1000uf 10v cap?

Comment

Well, the blue one is a Taicon 1000uf 25v cap while the black one is a 330uf 25v Ltec.

Comment

Is the 1000uf cap likely to fail?

Comment

Working...
                                X