Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Repaired a generic, no-name Internet router...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repaired a generic, no-name Internet router...

Hello,

This no-name Internet router wouldn't turn on, so I opened it up and, lo and behold, a single 220uf 16v Teapo SEK cap on the input. I replaced the cap (with great difficulty as part of the Teapo's leg broke off in the hole and I had to solder over it because I couldn't get it out) with a Chemi-Con KME 220uf 25v and tried it again, but it still wouldn't come to life. Then, as I was trying to get it to turn on, I noticed the input diode "sparking" whenever I applied the power. Hmmm, that can't be right I thought. So what I did, was take an old dead Sega Genesis motherboard, scavenged what looked like the same kind, color and size diode off it, and replaced the router's diode with it. Because I couldn't get the broken Teapo's leg out of the hole, I "bridged" the UCC's negative leg to the anode of the diode (the capacitor and diode were on the same circuit.)

The end result: LIFE! The router blinked to life. I connected it to my network hub, and it gave out DHCP addresses. I could ping the router, and even access the password screen for the web interface. (I don't have the password because the person who gave me the router didn't give me its password! ) Now if I can find out just who made this thing, I can get to configuring it for a test run.

Only one cap, the 220uf 16v one I mentioned earlier, was a Teapo SEK. The rest of the caps are very low-value (as in 22uf) Wendell and 'W.D.'. For the recap I used a single United Chemi-Con KME 220uf 25v cap.

And now, for the ugly pics of my ghetto repair job. (People who can solder, please don't ever do this! I was lucky this skank-@$$ "repair" worked at all!)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by UraBahn; 06-28-2006, 06:48 AM.
    The ever-amazing (and ever-affordable) KY, Chemi-con's best kept secret.

I'll probably be the only person going to SteamOS once it gets out of beta (ha ha.)

Re: Repaired a generic, no-name Internet router...

Update: I made an educated guess at the router's password, and was finally able to access the web-based configuration. Nowhere on there does it state the manufacturer or even the model number, all it says is "Broadband Router Version 1.00.00". It does have a handy array of features, like port triggers, virtual server and the like.

In case anyone's interested, this particular router uses the ADM5106 gateway controller chip (based on an ARM7TDMI actually). I'll be testing it on my home LAN soon enough.

(sorry for the double post, I ran out of time before I could edit the previous one.)
    Last edited by UraBahn; 06-28-2006, 08:04 AM.

I'll probably be the only person going to SteamOS once it gets out of beta (ha ha.)

Comment

If this unit ahs an FC number, may be you can indentify the manufakturer.

Comment

Try using MAC address - http://coffer.com/mac_find/

Comment

Thanks a ton for the help, guys! Using your advice I discovered it was an Abocom CAS3040 4-Port Router with Integrated Switch. I also found the user's manual and a firmware update, which I will shortly install.

Abocom's Website: http://www.abocom.com.tw

Comment

Sorry for 'bumping' an old topic like this, but this sounds EXACTLY like what happened to my old wireless router. One day I saw the LEDs on the front going crazy, flashing at random. I pressed the reset button with a pencil, but to no avail. Even power-cycling didn't help.

Finally it died altogether and wouldn't power on. Opening it up, I was surprised to find that the wi-fi portion of the router was simply a PCMCIA card connected to the external antenna
            In fact, I took the PCMCIA card out, inserted it into my laptop, and it's been working happily ever since - connecting to my new router

Anyway, I didn't see any bulged or venting caps, but when I applied power I saw distinctly the input diode 'sparking' - just like Urabahn mentioned. Not having the technical knowledge or equipment to trace the fault, I just decided to discard this router and buy a new one.

The caps on the board are mostly 'SC' caps, see attached picture. Is this a known brand, and if so is it good or bad? Maybe it failed like a Teapo cap, i.e. no visible signs.
            Attached Files
            You know there's something wrong when you open your PC and it has vented Rubycons...

Comment

Well, those caps are looking very ugly, of course not a educated decision, but i for shure won`t thrust them.
              is there a coil (e.g a torroid) and a transistor like device with 3 or more legs?
              If yes, there is indeed a smps bubk regulator, wich could be handicaped from bad caps up to the point of no operation. If there is only a linear regulator without any coil, i thin it would probably an other (e.g firmware related ) problem.

Comment

Working...
              X