Dimension 8400 (yes I searched)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dimension 8400 (yes I searched)

I'd wait for someone else to chime in and confirm.
    If it's near the CPU socket, it's probably on the CPU core voltage (VRM out).
    https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=77
    if not.. ignore this post

Comment

I'm replacing them with Nippon 6.3V 820uF KZG UltraESR.
      Thanks

Comment

Sorry I didn't see your post Scenic, yes it is near the CPU socket. You think the
        United Chemi-Con 820uF 2.5v Ultra Low ESR Polymer would be a better replacement ?

Comment

KZG are a defective series. High failure rates.
          It's all over the forum.
          Mann-Made Global Warming.
          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

Is the Chemi-Con 820uF 2.5v Ultra Low ESR Polymer with 2.5v Ok to replace a
            820uf - 4v - KZV with 4v ?

Comment

If it is in Vcore then yes.
              Vcore voltage is less than 2.5v.
              If not in Vcore then you need to check the circuit voltage and make sure it is 2.5v or less.
              Mann-Made Global Warming.
              - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
              -
              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
              -

Comment

I have the same system here with Nippon Chemi Con KZV 820uF 4v caps that are 8x25mm.
                I have not been able to find a data sheet, the only thing I've found is the attached document that tells you to ask for another document "Ask Engineering Bulletin No756 in detail"
                They go like this for lower impedance rating: KZG > KZJ > KZV

So it's a safe bet they are better than ESR 0.011 and ripple rating 2710
                I think it's best to go solid polymer and the best rating you can find, it's VCORE caps so it's safe to go down in voltage rating...

On mine only one has failed, it's the first cap in focus in the picture, sadly I only have 10mm polymer caps in stock so I'll have to make an order to fix this system up...
                EDIT: Just found the attached .DOC file, it affirms my polymer plans nicely
                Attached Files
                "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Yes Per Hannson that is the same system I have. I ordered the polymer caps, still waiting for them. Thanks to everyone for there help.

Comment

I've only come across one Dimension 8400 with bloated KZV out of maybe 10 of them I've recapped. I replaced them with United Chemicon PSA 2.5V 680uF. Worked fine afterwards.

Comment

Update: Installed cap and everything seems ok for now. This is my own pc, the problem seemed to happen when I installed a 1gb memory stick. I have disposed of that memory.
                      Thanks for the help.

Comment

I'm providing an update on the system I was fixing too.
                        I ordered caps from Big Pope (Samxon X-CON ULR 820uF 2.5V D8mm) however as this was just before christmas I did not get them in time, owner wanted it fixed before christmas...

So I decided to try and put some Sanyo Oscon 560uF 4v caps there I had in stock.
                        System booted fine and seemed to work nicely after my recap, so I gave the system back.
                        Later that evening she called and said it would not boot up, turned out the VGA card was loose, damn Dell and their crappy plastic chassis...

Well, then I didn't hear from her for a week or so, but then she came back again, said it would not boot, I tried it at work and it booted right up, so I sent her home with it again...

Later that week she said it would bluescreen, and that it had done this before the recap too, ok, I'll have a look I said, and also she said that it now turns off completely after about 2 hours...

I took it home, found the reason for the bluescreen: 0x8086
                        http://support.dell.com/support/topi...&isLegacy=true

The sudden shutdown was harder to trouble shoot, all fans where working...
                        Shitty mobo does not support temperature monitoring of any kind as far as I could find out, but the 3.4Ghz P4 CPU sure isn't known to be light on power consumption...

But cutting a long story short I found it was the PSU causing it, it's fan was running and I had already opened it when I had it over the first time, Ltec and Cheese caps where ok (OST=Cheese in Swedish)
                        Just for curiosity sake I desoldered all caps in the PSU today and tested them, they all checked out fine, and PSU looks fine too...
                        Well, I guess you can't get to the bottom of every problem, atleast it's working great now with it's new PSU
                        Attached Files
                        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Working...
                        X