Breathe Audio Elevate BA-2430 whole house amp problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breathe Audio Elevate BA-2430 whole house amp problem

I got this to work on from a friend. It is a 4 zone, 2 source whole house amp with keypads in each zone. The problem description was static on all sources in all zones. I surmised that the problem was a bad audio filtering cap. Upon cracking the cover I found over 50 10uf 50v caps. No other values which is weird. I checked them with my cap analyzer and found on really dodgy one that was a different brand then all the rest. I replaced it and 4 others near the input stage.

Now I go to test it. Well there is no static but a new problem. A hum on all zones/channels. It sounds sort of like a 60hz hum. So I double check all my work, even pulled the caps I did one at a time to try to get it to stop. No luck, so I look next to the power supply. It is linear with a large center tapped transformer. I shotgunned the 4 small caps on there just for the hell of it. No change. So now I try to use my thinking cap and attempt to determine if there is some sort of hum originating at the power supply. I pull out my scope meter which I am good at turning on and not much else.

So eventually I figure out the right button to press and I am off probing voltages. The supply puts out +25v, -25v and +12v. See the pictures, but I think the -25v has a 120hz ripple on it which could be the source of the hum. Its a little strange because the voltage was lower (-18v) probing just the power supply with the connection to the amp removed (pic 2&3). With everything in place for the amp to work I got the proper -25v (pic 4&5). Both however show a 120hz ripple. The +25 and +12 rails were normal. What causes this? One of the filter caps going bad maybe? They look like high quality items (Topcon!).

TLDR: I have a 120hz hum on a whole house audio amp. I have isolated it to the -25v rail. Any suggestions on how to fix this are most welcome.
    Attached Files

Re: Breathe Audio Elevate BA-2430 whole house amp problem

One of the large capacitors filters the +25v and another filters the -25v ... the one for -25v is probably going bad.
    Try swapping the main capacitors around... if the problem moves to the other 25v ... you have the solution.

Comment

just replace both.
      i see you have an esr meter.
      compare the 2.
      the scopemeter just told you the one on the - supply is shot.

Comment

I have a capanalyzer which I don't yet fully comprehend. I pulled both caps. Tested the first one and it fails with the DCR (DC resistance) low alarm. The second one doesn't react at all on the capanalyzer. I am not sure what to make of those results. Both read in excess of 10,000uf capacitance on my DVM (Out of range - 10,000 is its limit). But I know not trust that measurement as proof that they still work. So now I am off to order 2 new caps from DigiKey! I'll report back with my results.

edit: I will add that the one that didn't react seems a little bulged on top as compared to the other one.
        Last edited by bluto; 10-16-2012, 11:47 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

If you have good Fluke True RMS meter, you can check the AC ripple voltage on those two filter caps, it should not be more than 5% of the DC reading.
          Never stop learning
          Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
          http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Well, the scope already showed him what he needs to know - the cap on the -25v rail is bad.
            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

yep open.that scopmeter is a damm handy tool.
              i use mine a lot.
              Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
              Well, the scope already showed him what he needs to know - the cap on the -25v rail is bad.

Comment

One retiredcaps' bonus point to bluto for a picture of your Fluke scope.

I now totally regret not acting faster when a Fluke handheld scope showed up on my local kijiji ad for $100 (MSRP was $1000). I decided to do some research first before buying!

I could have easily resold it for much more.
                --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Success! Another one saved from the dumpster. The two new filter caps did the trick. So if anyone else has hum or static on your amp on all sources and in all zones, just order yourself up 2 ea of the filter caps (P/N P6917-ND) from digikey.com and you will be back rocking out in no time at all. Thanks for all the helpful replies too!
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by bluto; 10-18-2012, 06:44 PM. Reason: re-cropped pictures

Comment

Originally posted by bluto View Post
                    Its a little strange because the voltage was lower (-18v) probing just the power supply with the connection to the amp removed (pic 2&3).
                    No capacitance! You were reading pulsating DC.

With everything in place for the amp to work I got the proper -25v (pic 4&5)
                    Not really. The voltage appeared to come up, since there are some smaller caps on the amp board that were vainly trying to hold the voltage up. But still no filtering, hence ripple and buzz. Just a 'gotcha' to beware of- as you've seen, it can mislead you. The scopemeter sure didn't, though!

Glad to hear you fixed it! I'll bet it "thumps" its cover when you hit the power switch- there's a nice transformer in there!
                    "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                    Originally posted by shango066
                    All style and no substance.
                    Originally posted by smashstuff30
                    guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                    guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the insight. I guess this one goes against the caveat of 'leave the big filter cap alone' that we have when working on switch mode power supplies.

Comment

I got this to work on from a friend. It is a 4 zone, 2 source whole house amp with keypads in each zone. The problem description was static on all sources in all zones.
                        The interesting part of this repair is getting an accurate problem description. Was the hissing reported by the owner, or actually heard by the OP? It sounded like there was a new problem once the hissing noise was fixed. But I'm sure that the original symptom was hissing AND hum.
                        Is it plugged in?

Comment

Originally posted by Longbow View Post
                          The interesting part of this repair is getting an accurate problem description. Was the hissing reported by the owner, or actually heard by the OP? It sounded like there was a new problem once the hissing noise was fixed. But I'm sure that the original symptom was hissing AND hum.
                          You guys appear to be pretty good on the Breathe Audio equip...I'm not very technical but have a problem. I have 3 2430s running in my home covering 3 zones...nicely wired.

Anyway...lightening strike and I have nothing functioning...all lights are on but nobody is home. I borrowed a friends unit, plugged it in and it works...

Where should I look to solve this problem or should I replace them?

Ray in Brantford Ontario
                          ray@cwxedi.com

Comment

So you are saying that the zone lights on the front all come on, but no response at the keypads? I would start by taking it apart and posting pictures. Someone here may be able to spot something amiss. I would start by probing all the voltages and maybe pull the data sheet on the control ICs at the back of the bottom board. No response to the keypads could indicate one of those is toast. They could be proprietary parts though.

Comment

Working...
                            X