Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Win7 Chrome Support May End July 2021

https://www.computerworld.com/articl...july-2021.html

I wonder what happens when that runs out? Will other browser manufacturers throw in the towel on Win7?
    Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
    RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
    Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
    - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
    - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
    - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
    - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Re: Win7 Chrome Support May End July 2021

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
    [url]Will other browser manufacturers throw in the towel on Win7?
    Probably. That's 18 months from now. Mozilla has not announced yet, but I could see them being on-par with this time line. As I've always said, an OS is not obsolete for mainstream consumer use until browser support is cut off.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
      Will other browser manufacturers throw in the towel on Win7?
      You mean Firefox? Because as far as I know, that is the only other browser competitor to Chrome. Sure there are other out there, but they are all either based on Chrome's or Mozilla's engine. Even M$ Edge has gone the Chrome route.

Before you know it, soon it will all be one large corporation/monopoly, telling you exactly when and what to upgrade your hardware, or it won't work. It's their way of providing "job security" for themselves, unfortunately. Bastards!

Comment

mmmm, didn't firefox support XP up till quantum? I thought XP made it to firefox 55 or something at least till 2017 so 7 will probably get at least 3 years support from mozilla
        My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

this is all bullshit.
          chrome and firefox and webkit are all open-source multi-platform.
          even if they did spike them to break on win7 the same way they blocked win98 you could just compile it yourself.

about the win98 reference.
          m$ has a history of putting subroutines inside visual studio that intentionally stop code running on older systems.
          you can literally compile the same code on older versions of VS and the software miraculously works on old o.s.

why? because they are fuckers sabotaging peoples "final product"
          the simple solution, and also probably giving a better product is to compile using GCC instead of VS.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
            Probably. That's 18 months from now. Mozilla has not announced yet, but I could see them being on-par with this time line. As I've always said, an OS is not obsolete for mainstream consumer use until browser support is cut off.
            WebOne - proxy for old browsers to make them Web 2.0-capable:
            https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=67165

As for browser support on Windows 7 I would expect at least 3 years, considering MS will provide paid security updates for that long.
            Oh, and they released their new Chromium based Edge browser for Windows 7 the day after support ended for Windows 7!
            https://www.neowin.net/news/microsof...ast-18-months/
            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
              I'll have to diddle around with that.

As for browser support on Windows 7 I would expect at least 3 years, considering MS will provide paid security updates for that long.
              Oh, and they released their new Chromium based Edge browser for Windows 7 the day after support ended for Windows 7!
              https://www.neowin.net/news/microsof...ast-18-months/
              I was thinking that as well because of the extended support. Chrome is not my favorite browser anyway.....let 'em pull early!!
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
              Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
              http://folding.stanford.edu/
              Team : 49813
              Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                this is all bullshit.
                chrome and firefox and webkit are all open-source multi-platform..
                Firefox is open Source, Chrome is not. Crromoum that's its based if is though.

Comment

i meant chromium - chrome minus the spyware.

Comment

Originally posted by BigTroll View Post
                    mmmm, didn't firefox support XP up till quantum? I thought XP made it to firefox 55 or something at least till 2017 so 7 will probably get at least 3 years support from mozilla
                    Yes they did.
                    But you know how it is these days: one company jumps the gun, and then all others follow suit shortly after.

chrome and firefox and webkit are all open-source multi-platform.
                    even if they did spike them to break on win7 the same way they blocked win98 you could just compile it yourself.
                    Well, I'm no good at programming/coding/compiling, but I would definitely be interested to learn how to do this and maybe roll my own version of FF Quantum going XP.

My guess is, it's not just about compiling. FF Quantum probably uses some DLLs and libraries that XP doesn't have that Vista and 7 do.

What does piss me off, though, is that FF Quantum doesn't even try to install on XP or throw any error messages why. It just simply says "Windows XP not supported". -OK fine! But install anyways and let me deal with any errors I encounter rather than doing a silly OS check and outright denial to run/install.

On that note, I remember a few years back when Adobe Flash was still a thing... it did that refuse-to-install shenanigans with version 10 on Windows 2000, IIRC. Didn't take long to find an article online, though, on how to hex-edit the installer and get Flash going. And guess what - it ran without problems. (Or as problem-free as it gets trying to run Youtube on a Pentium II laptop with 256 MB of RAM - but this was at least 5-6 years ago, when YT scripts weren't as heavy on resources, so it was actually do-able, at least for streaming audio/music from YT.)

You've got my attention now!
                    Like TC, I'll definitely play with that as well.

i meant chromium - chrome minus the spyware.
                    I'm still not a fan of either. :\
                    Only using FF because I have to.

Otherwise, I absolutely love the old true Opera engine (Opera 12 and older.) It may not have the extension support of Firefox, but it's so damn efficient! I still use it for Badcaps.net.

Comment

Then I can still use my windows 7 OS till next year then.
                      https://bestflushingtoilets.org/kohler-toilet/

Comment

Working...
                      X