Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dim Clock LCD on Jenn-Air wall oven

Originally posted by Professor Peach View Post
    Yes, but this is Invensys, a huge corporate company.
    Who no doubt outsources from, say, 100's of places for sub-assemblies.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

Hi, I am new here, and from the looks of it glad I found this site! I have a 10 year old Jenn air convection oven model ww27430p that has the display going from dim to black, yet everything else works. It sounds like the same problem. Are the caps marked, or how do I verify that my c3 is the same?

Thanks

Niki1, also sick of replcacing whole boards for .30 item!

Comment

Originally posted by niki1 View Post
        Hi, I am new here, and from the looks of it glad I found this site! I have a 10 year old Jenn air convection oven model ww27430p that has the display going from dim to black, yet everything else works. It sounds like the same problem. Are the caps marked, or how do I verify that my c3 is the same?
        The caps are marked, yes (usually!). What you'll need to do is take it apart to the point where you are able to either confirm the markings or take a picture and post it here so that one of us can confirm. If in doubt, post all of the markings here and someone will help out with replacement(s).

Edit: And welcome to BCN. Glad to have you here!
        Last edited by Wrog; 11-11-2010, 04:15 PM. Reason: Welcome!

Comment

Thanks! I did open it up, and from what I can see, it is a 35v, so I will go to digi key and order, and let you know.

Thanks,

niki1

Comment

Excellent! Don't forget to choose "First-class shipping", you'll get it the fastest (2-3 days) and cheapest (under $2). Let us know know it turns out.

Comment

If you don't mind, post a picture of your board. That way there will be a 'before' picture. The pictures of mine were taken after the replacement.

Comment

Ok.

Comment

New to this old post, hoping someone might see my question!! I've got an ECR from a Maytag, RobertShaw unit. The board appears to be one integral unit with the display and touchpad. Do you know if this unit can be separated to access the panel to replace the capacitors? It looks like those small hands in China have made the unit pretty tight. Your help appreciated.

Comment

Post some pictures and our experts will give you their best advice.

Comment

Hello bluto,

Thank you post for your post. My Jennair Expressions wall oven (model W30400-C) looks exactly like the one you have posted in the photos. The clock display had dimmed and now it's totally blank.

I would like to try replacing the capacitors, would really appreciate if you could answer a few questions I have:

1. How can I remove the control panel that contains the display? I see 3 white phillips screws on the top panel and 3 black ones at the bottom. Shall I remove al of them?

2. How will I remove capacitors? the Are they just plugged in or soldered on the circuit board?

Thank you very much!

Comment

soldered... thats how most caps these days are mounted.
                        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Thanks ratdude747. So to remove the old cap, would I first use a soldering iron to melt the old lead and pull out the cap?

Thanks

Comment

Exactly. One thing to look out for - never push the cap back in one side to get the other lead to come out - you will damage the circuit board. It's just heating and pulling.
                            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

On my oven there are three white screws on top and three black screws on the bottom holding the control panel on. Post some pictures once you get it out.

Comment

Got the caps this morning, super fast delivery I'd say. I had ordered all 4 plus one set of spare ones just in case. For sure I will take before and after pictures.

Comment

this has to be one of the least expected threads to draw in new members... when bluto originally posted this thread, he mentioned people googling it... i guess he was right...

good luck on the recap!
                                  sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Well I do what I can. While I am thinking about this, I saw where they are selling this module refurbished on ebay for almost as much as new. Except they neglected to read the badcaps re-capping FAQ first!

Attached Files

Comment

Well, I did it! and the clock now works.

Thanks for the help and the info I found on this thread, I ordered the parts online and they arrived in one day (yes I ordered replacement parts for the other caps but only installed C3).

I have posted photos detailing all the steps, but anyone who stumbles on to this thread can feel free to ask questions. For example, I wasn't sure how to remove the wide ribbon cable. Then I remembered, when I had recently fixed my son's Ps3, you just press on the two protrusions on the edges of the plug and the ribbon just slides out.

Removing the old solder took a while. I melted the old solder with the soldering iron then pried out the cap wire using a thin flat screwdriver. Not sure it this process might damage the circuit board but what did I have to lose, since if I was not successful I would have to buy a new module anyways (it's $250 plus 13%tax Cad here in Canada from a local jennair parts dealer).

Anyways, good luck to those who may wish to try this out, but proceed at your own risk.

Cheers.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Good job. Nice pictures too. Is you microwave above Jenn-Air also? My oven looks just like yours (built into the cabinet) with a matching microwave (with special bezel) above. I dread having to try and replace it if it ever goes out.

Comment

Thanks bluto. No, the microwave is a GE Profile, working fine so far. No idea how old the applicances are, we just bought the house last summer. The house is 15 years old, possibly so are the appliances.

Probably looking to change them in a few years, including the countertop Jennair stove (black glass top) with a built in fan.

Comment

Working...
                                          X